RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Blue spot in POTW? (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18070)

ShortlinesUSA 03-12-2018 04:57 PM

Blue spot in POTW?
 
Anyone know what is going on along the left side of the frame? If that is some sort of natural feature, it certainly is odd looking.

[photoid=650095]

RobJor 03-12-2018 06:02 PM

Snow in the shadow, March in the Mountains? Eastbound so shadow would be on the south side where lingering snow might remain.

Bob

Chase55671 03-12-2018 06:02 PM

I think it's just a result of post processing and how the shadowed area appears after color/contrast adjustments.

miningcamper1 03-12-2018 06:07 PM

The patch is not opaque, so it could just be a layer left there inadvertently.

miningcamper1 03-12-2018 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase55671 (Post 193653)
I think it's just a result of post processing and how the shadowed area appears after color/contrast adjustments.

Off-topic observation:
Everybody's favorite forum thread disappeared! :( [Well, almost everybody's]

RobJor 03-12-2018 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 193655)
Off-topic observation:
Everybody's favorite forum thread disappeared! :( [Well, almost everybody's]

I think it had run its course, a very meandering one at that, but you picked on the coincidence. Smile.

Bob

RobJor 03-12-2018 06:34 PM

Going back to this image, I'd hate to think with a great photo he would just forgot about a layer or a blob so I tried to give a positive take.
I would note the white "ridge" next to the shadow, I don't know where that would come from in the shadows tool. I guess someone could message him, what is that blob? I never noticed so will not be me.

Bob

bigbassloyd 03-12-2018 06:53 PM

Looks like a shadow with artifact(s) from processing.

Loyd L.

Decapod401 03-12-2018 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 193655)
Off-topic observation:
Everybody's favorite forum thread disappeared! :( [Well, almost everybody's]

It didn't even hit 1,000 posts in this incarnation!

bigbassloyd 03-12-2018 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decapod401 (Post 193659)
It didn't even hit 1,000 posts in this incarnation!

Maybe on the 3rd attempt. :D

Loyd L.

chris crook 03-13-2018 01:27 AM

It is snow in a shadow. The sun moves faster than the snow melts, so a line of snow lingers.

troy12n 03-13-2018 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 193655)
Off-topic observation:
Everybody's favorite forum thread disappeared! :( [Well, almost everybody's]

I hadn't noticed, next time I see a particularly horrible one maybe I will start another

Joseph Cermak 03-13-2018 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 193655)
Off-topic observation:
Everybody's favorite forum thread disappeared! :( [Well, almost everybody's]

That's a shame it was removed. I could see ending further replies, but there was a lot of good conversation in that thread...

Chase55671 03-13-2018 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 193655)
Off-topic observation:
Everybody's favorite forum thread disappeared! :( [Well, almost everybody's]

Guess I missed out on all the fun... I'm always a day late and a dollar short.

bigbassloyd 03-13-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase55671 (Post 193664)
Guess I missed out on all the fun... I'm always a day late and a dollar short.

You're not allowed to play because you may have been the one that accepted some of them :D

Loyd L.

ShortlinesUSA 03-13-2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris crook (Post 193661)
It is snow in a shadow. The sun moves faster than the snow melts, so a line of snow lingers.

And that snow goes through the water? Look how it goes through small fork in the river. Y'all will have to forgive me-- I'm a slide shooter and have mastered pretty much auto contrast, cropping (questionable), and sharpen in Photoshop, but that is a really odd appearing effect that immediately distracts my eye. I would have cropped it out, honestly.

bigbassloyd 03-13-2018 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA (Post 193667)
I would have cropped it out, honestly.

I would have as well. Still a nice shot however.

Loyd L.

ShortlinesUSA 03-13-2018 02:11 PM

Oh, absolutely...the scenery is incredible, and it is a beautiful scene. Certainly a photo I would be happy to have in my collection.

But it also shows how our "What were they thinking?" threads over the years have now trained me to much more carefully examine every inch of a photo, as well as my own composition and processing.

RobJor 03-13-2018 02:19 PM

Trivia pursuit: the white ridge does not extend through the water, only the shadow, which is why I thought it was snow. Certainly accept I could be wrong.

Bob

Chase55671 03-13-2018 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 193666)
You're not allowed to play because you may have been the one that accepted some of them :D

Loyd L.

Back to the dugout...

ShortlinesUSA 03-13-2018 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase55671 (Post 193674)
Back to the dugout...

No shame in pleading the Fifth...stop by any time! :lol:

Chase55671 03-13-2018 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA (Post 193679)
No shame in pleading the Fifth...stop by any time! :lol:

When are you coming back to the capital city? I have some GP9s with your name on them.

chris crook 03-13-2018 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA (Post 193667)
And that snow goes through the water? Look how it goes through small fork in the river. Y'all will have to forgive me-- I'm a slide shooter and have mastered pretty much auto contrast, cropping (questionable), and sharpen in Photoshop, but that is a really odd appearing effect that immediately distracts my eye. I would have cropped it out, honestly.

It doesn't. Just the shadow. As for weather it should have been cropped out, that's another story entirely.

ShortlinesUSA 03-13-2018 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase55671 (Post 193680)
When are you coming back to the capital city? I have some GP9s with your name on them.

ASAP, indeed. I thought work was going to drag me north from Chattanooga by now, but looking more like April now as one of my projects tries to get its legs under it.

troy12n 03-15-2018 03:39 AM

Speaking of blue spots, you see what I see here on this one? (dead center of the frame)

[photoid=651026]


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.