RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Music Tastes.. (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4041)

CG_F45 08-21-2006 05:36 PM

Music Tastes..

For me, a fun part of railfanning is being out and about, and whenever I am out I always listen to music.

So, what kind of music does the railfans on this forum like and listen to?

When I am railfanning, I listen to some heavy metal, mostly Living Colour, and I also lisgten to lots of classic rock such as the Beatles, Don Henley, Billy Joel, Bob Seger, The Rolling Stones, Boston, and Lynard Skynard. EDIT: forgot the Who, Led Zeplin, Bad Company and War...

It was my dad that got me hooked on this music, and he is glad we can listen to it rather than some of this contemporary music...

(Nothing like sitting trackside playing Boston so loudly that you cant hear the train going by :D - True story! My dad was playing Boston while we were waiting trackside, and I was reading something, and never noticed a freight giong by!)

ccaranna 08-21-2006 05:50 PM

Classical. Not classic rock, but Beethoven, Brahms, Rachmaninoff, etc.

No joke, that's what I listen to all of the time, not just while out and about.

NicTrain35 08-21-2006 06:18 PM

The Beach Boys are my favorite band. I have a CD with a lot of their songs. Others are Gordon Lightfoot, Willie Nelson and Creedence Clearwater Revival. I'm not a fan of the new rap stuff.

Chris, I like the music you listen to!

dodi4200 08-21-2006 06:24 PM

Im not hearing american music alot but i like some bands like (back street boys) (west life).Maybe its old compared to the music that yours listen but i like some songs of them.Also i like classic music like Kenny j.

CG_F45 08-21-2006 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicTrain35
The Beach Boys are my favorite band. I have a CD with a lot of their songs. Others are Gordon Lightfoot, Willie Nelson and Creedence Clearwater Revival. I'm not a fan of the new rap stuff.

Chris, I like the music you listen to!

Yeah, no rap for me! ;) Creedence Clearwater Revival is another one of my favorites. Do you listen to the radio? 97.1 FM "The Drive" is a great station for classic rock, and they also broadcast at 96.9 FM for further north and west of Chicago.

You and I should meet...

NicTrain35 08-21-2006 06:33 PM

I listen to 97.1 and 105.5 "The Pickle" everytime I drive. ;)

When does school start for you? I might railfan tomorrow, but I'm not 100% sure.

CG_F45 08-21-2006 06:35 PM

24th of August...this Thursday :-x You?

My dad listens to 97.1 when he drives, too!

NicTrain35 08-21-2006 06:39 PM

The 23rd is my first half day (7:25 - 10:25). Thursday is my first full day (7:25 - 1:50). :(

It's really cool to know that we each have the same taste in music.

Andrew Blaszczyk (2) 08-21-2006 07:49 PM

Anyway...I usually listen to Rock (Breaking Benjamin, Godsmack, Three Days Grace, etc.) when I'm out by the tracks wether its CD's or the radio (when you start hearing the same song for the third time). Car talk on Saturday mornings at 10AM on NPR...hysterical radio show even if you're not into cars. Since the radio in my car doesn't work I have a CD player hooked up to portable speakers, and when I'm trackside or driving between spots the scanner gets hooked up to the speakers. Now thats good listenin'.

cmherndon 08-21-2006 08:09 PM

Quote:

So, what kind of music does the railfans on this forum like and listen to?
Jimmy Buffett is probably my favorite artist, but I'll listen to just about anything except rap. Some of my favorite artists also include Johnny Cash, Dwight Yoakam, Bob Dylan, CCR, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Oasis, Jet, Travis, Willie Nelson, Sarah McLachlan, The Grateful Dead, Buena Vista Social Club, Harry Belafonte, Lord Kitchener, Jerry Jeff Walker, The Reverend Horton Heat, John Lee Hooker, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Blackhawk, Van Morrison, Bob Seger, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, and Pink Floyd. Believe it or not, that's the short list.

Flowing 08-21-2006 08:25 PM

When railfanning I usually am concentrating on the scanner, but when I have a good handle of what's going on or otherwise don't need to listen to the scanner, I'll listen to a mix of rock, metal, and alternative. With its fast, aggressive beats and complex, intertwining musicianship, I find heavy metal to be ideal music for a fast-paced chase. Some of my favorite bands: Tool, Metallica, System of a Down, Rush, Mastodon, Primus, Rage Against the Machine, Killswitch Engage, At the Drive-In, Dredg, Deftones, Bob Marley, 311, Alice in Chains, Incubus. I also have a cd of NKP 765 recordings that is great listening.

SD70MACMAN 08-21-2006 09:57 PM

I always have the scanner clipped to the dash and am paying attention to it.

I have 3 categories. For basic driving, NPR only. For light railfanning (driving from location to location) is laid back stuff, like Death Cab for Cutie, Postal Service, Coldplay, Simon & Garfunkle, Ace of Base, stuff along those lines and Mariners Baseball games if theyre on the air. But when its time get serious and chase a train, I have a special techno mix for that 8)

Mgoldman 08-21-2006 10:48 PM

Big City Train

Anyone ever hear No Doubt's "Big City Train" - it's from thier first CD, you'd recognize it as it looks like a RR crossing sign on the CD. I doubt most people know of it, and no, the CD is not RR oriented, but that song is great.
I used it at the end of a steam movie I did while the credits rolled - it was a pretty cool way to wrap it up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...e=UTF8&s=music

Good horn section, too.

/Mitch

Slopes09 08-21-2006 11:11 PM

Mostly classic rock. A lot of Beatles, the Eagles, LED ZEPPELIN! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/ak...smiley-035.gif :lol: , John Mellencamp, and a lot of miscellaneous rock(lately Tom Petty's been a favorite). If I'm listening to the radio, usually 97.9 The Loop, with Jonathon Brandmeier in the morning, and playing mostly classic rock.
Oh, Chris and Nick, consider yourselves lucky, we started the 18th. :shock:

NicTrain35 08-21-2006 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slopes09
Oh, Chris and Nick, consider yourselves lucky, we started the 18th.

You guys probably get out earlier than us, though. ;)

Slopes09 08-21-2006 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NicTrain35
You guys probably get out earlier than us, though. ;)

Just checked the calender, we get out the 30th of May, only a day earlier than last year. :-/

Andrew Blaszczyk (2) 08-21-2006 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD70MACMAN
I have a special techno mix for that 8)

Thats a pretty good idea, I know where you are coming from with that and why. Do you know the song names on it? PM me if you want to that way instead of here.

NicTrain35 08-21-2006 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slopes09
Just checked the calender, we get out the 30th of May, only a day earlier than last year. :-/

I would have never guessed that you and I would have the same last day of school! :-D Last year, my last day was June 2nd.

Ween 08-21-2006 11:41 PM

Usually it's talk radio:

Glann Beck, Bill O'reilly, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Michael Savage, Phil Hendrie (retired since Jul, dang it). If I was still in St Louie, you could throw in Dave Glover. If it's not talk radio, then it's AC/DC or nothing...

Joe the Photog 08-22-2006 01:01 AM

John Fogerty has been getting a lot of play time in my car lately, a one disc retrospective that includes CCR classics as well as his solo stuff like "The Old Man Down The Road."

Mgoldman 08-22-2006 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ween
Usually it's talk radio:

.....Bill O'reilly, Sean Hannity...

Well, I'd say that is fair and balanced!
/Mitch

busyEMT 08-22-2006 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ween
Phil Hendrie (retired since Jul, dang it).

Isn't that a shame! Just a couple years after local stations started carrying his show, he retires.

Very little music in my car. Talk radio and scanner radio.

hoydie17 08-22-2006 02:34 AM

Music?

The only music I listen to is 3 EMD's charging against a grade and steel flanges grinding against rail with those rythmic flat spots.

Seriously, as long as it falls into the Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Country, or Top 40, I'll listen to whatever station comes in clearly.

ccaranna 08-22-2006 02:38 AM

OK, I don't want to be a complete square, so I'll mention that I like Radiohead and Coldplay. Beatles and Rolling Stones also have been known to be played in my vehicle, as well as a couple hits from Gerry Rafferty.

And how could I forget Van Halen?

I like Jazz too, Pat Metheny and Dave Brubeck are a couple others I listen to occasion.

How about I just mention what I DON'T like:

Rap (some is OK), country (not to include classic country and bluegrass), opera, Irish dance/folk music (how about all Folk in general), death metal (it's just white noise), new age (boring), easy listening Muzak (singers and standards are cool like Sinatra- just no elevator music, please), showtunes, calliope music, techo (I need to be in a club to get into this), anything by Christina Aguilera (or any of her peers), 20th century contra-basson solos, marching bands (on the 4th of July is fine), and most anything played on steel drums, harpsichords, harps, organs, theremins, euphoniums, zithers, mandolins, accordians, jews harps, sitars, and glockenspiels.

Andrew Blaszczyk (2) 08-22-2006 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccaranna
Rap (some is OK), country (not to include classic country and bluegrass), opera, Irish dance/folk music (how about all Folk in general), death metal (it's just white noise), new age (boring), easy listening Muzak (singers and standards are cool like Sinatra- just no elevator music, please), showtunes, calliope music, techo (I need to be in a club to get into this), anything by Christina Aguilera (or any of her peers), 20th century contra-basson solos, marching bands (on the 4th of July is fine), and most anything played on steel drums, harpsichords, harps, organs, theremins, euphoniums, zithers, mandolins, accordians, jews harps, sitars, and glockenspiels.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Whats wrong with accordians?!