RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How do you handle a high sun rejection at 8:30AM? (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14096)

MassArt Images 07-07-2011 03:21 AM

How do you handle a high sun rejection at 8:30AM?
 
Suggestions on this one?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=168417340

troy12n 07-07-2011 03:22 AM

Wake up earlier!

or...



































Wait until the sun is shining on the right side to illuminate the trucks.

So they gave you an incorrect rejection, but you should be able to read between the lines here.

Freericks 07-07-2011 04:20 AM

The angle is wrong - the hit was high sun, but the issue was that the sun was not behind you (see the shadow at the truck, or caused by the railhead on the rail).

Sometimes, when you have permission, you can actually ask to have the locomotive moved into the right light.

Greg P 07-07-2011 04:24 AM

I didn't think it was possible to get high sun at 5:30pm too, but it is.

Here's a thread discussing some things you can try.

http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=14091

Joe the Photog 07-07-2011 05:07 AM

The rejection reads "Poor Lighting (High Sun)" Emphasis on Poor Lighting. I've actually made the suggestion that they streamline the PL rejections because every summer, people get all up in arms about a HS rejection at 8:30 a.m. or 4:15 p.m. when they should be able to see the trucks are not lit right or the shadows are falling all wrong. So that's my suggestion which you asked for -- that the screeners streamline the PL reasons for the good of submitters everywhere. (And forum members.)

sd9 07-07-2011 11:39 PM

If trucks are in shadow, then it's poor lighting, AKA High sun reject, or like Joe said

gakei 07-08-2011 01:12 AM

Based on my personal experience, my appeals to rejection were +90% rejected again, but I have two occasions below that my appeals were got accepted, and the original rejections were both "high sun". So sometimes it worths to try appealing.

[photoid=332015]

[photoid=213971]

JimThias 07-09-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe the Photog (Post 139291)
The rejection reads "Poor Lighting (High Sun)" Emphasis on Poor Lighting. I've actually made the suggestion that they streamline the PL rejections because every summer, people get all up in arms about a HS rejection at 8:30 a.m. or 4:15 p.m. when they should be able to see the trucks are not lit right or the shadows are falling all wrong. So that's my suggestion which you asked for -- that the screeners streamline the PL reasons for the good of submitters everywhere. (And forum members.)

It could read something simple like, "Poor photo angle in relation to the sun."

JRMDC 07-09-2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 139392)
It could read something simple like, "Poor photo angle in relation to the sun."

True, but then you get someone who is standing trackside shooting a wedgie and wonders what other angle they could have used!

Maybe "Light angle not suitable for photo angle" or "Angle of light results in poor illumination of subject"?

It's a tough one...

milwman 07-09-2011 11:25 PM

What ever its called you didn't have light on the side just down the rail and dark wheels.

JimThias 07-11-2011 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 139393)
True, but then you get someone who is standing trackside shooting a wedgie and wonders what other angle they could have used!

Maybe "Light angle not suitable for photo angle" or "Angle of light results in poor illumination of subject"?

It's a tough one...

Those two look like what I wrote, just worded differently. ;-)

I don't think it's very tough and I think most people would understand each of our "rejections."

Holloran Grade 07-11-2011 06:09 AM

It should get the dark wheels rejection, better known as the high sun rejection.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/36722129@N06/3734643444/" title="BNSF 7567 at 3N45 - View 4 by Holloran Grade (El Roco Photography), on Flickr"><img src="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3526/3734643444_60fdd2249a_m.jpg" width="240" height="185" alt="BNSF 7567 at 3N45 - View 4"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/36722129@N06/3772831068/" title="Heading Up the Grade by Holloran Grade (El Roco Photography), on Flickr"><img src="http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2593/3772831068_e9d73a9ce4_m.jpg" width="240" height="160" alt="Heading Up the Grade"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/36722129@N06/4708656400/" title="Leaning into the Turn by Holloran Grade (El Roco Photography), on Flickr"><img src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4053/4708656400_1bf89fee8c_m.jpg" width="240" height="160" alt="Leaning into the Turn"></a>

JimThias 07-11-2011 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 139442)
It should get the dark wheels rejection, better known as the high sun rejection.

Early morning, head-on sun results in dark wheels. That doesn't equate to high sun.

Holloran Grade 07-12-2011 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 139482)
Early morning, head-on sun results in dark wheels. That doesn't equate to high sun.

It did for those three.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.