RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Looking for input on a cloudy sunrise (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10432)

ChaBonOR 08-06-2009 12:09 PM

Looking for input on a cloudy sunrise

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1076556438

Rejected for Poor Lighting: Cloudy.

I like the shot but would like some input on whether it resonates with anyone else. Is this a case of needing to do a little more editing to give it enough "pop" to warrant an exception to the cloudy issue? Or should I just forget about it?

Thanks for your time,
Charles

Doug Wolfe 08-06-2009 12:33 PM

The problem is the train is not in the sun. Without sun on the train I don't think there is anything you can do with this shot. Great idea however.

JimThias 08-06-2009 02:46 PM

What are "debris clouds?"

ChaBonOR 08-06-2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 96432)
What are "debris clouds?"

The clouds that are left after thunderstorms have dissipated.

JimThias 08-06-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaBonOR (Post 96436)
The clouds that are left after thunderstorms have dissipated.

Hmm...the only thing a search turns up are references to satellites colliding and tornados. Were either in the area while this photo was taken? :lol:

travsirocz 08-06-2009 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 96438)
Hmm...the only thing a search turns up are references to satellites colliding and tornados. Were either in the area while this photo was taken? :lol:

Hot air balloons colliding?

GuilfordRailSD45 08-06-2009 05:19 PM

If you sharpen that up a bit - although it may not be for RP, that would still leave you with a nice shot for your personal collection. That's just my opinion.

Joe the Photog 08-06-2009 06:14 PM

The shot is indeed a bit soft. The ballons are not big enough in the scene to merit special consideration. There's no sun on the train and the train itself is dirty, which is making the shot look even more dull. It's not a bad shot and there may be some stuff you can do to it to make it a better photograph without hoping it gets past RP's velvet rope.

ottergoose 08-06-2009 06:24 PM

With the right guy doing post processing, you could end up with a PCA for that shot, I think. It's a long way from getting accepted as it is now though, for the reasons the other posters have mentioned.

cblaz 08-06-2009 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ottergoose (Post 96454)
With the right guy doing post processing, you could end up with a PCA for that shot, I think. It's a long way from getting accepted as it is now though, for the reasons the other posters have mentioned.

I agree with Nick, some contrast and color adjustments, as well as some sharpening, would make that shot a real winner.

- Chris

GuilfordRailSD45 08-06-2009 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I added some contrast, worked with the color, and added some more saturation to bring out the colors of the clouds a little more.
I'm on a laptop, and though I put my screen at a reasonable angle, there is a chance that this shot will not look right on another screen.
There may be a tad bit too much contrast/ saturation FYI.

JRMDC 08-06-2009 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ottergoose (Post 96454)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cblaz (Post 96456)
I agree with Nick, some contrast and color adjustments, as well as some sharpening, would make that shot a real winner.

I don't see it, guys, please explain. Yes, the shot can be improved, but maybe not even to RP standards. How does one get to "winner" or "PCA"?

BTW, Charles, the "NPCU" and Amtrak 90250 info must be from another shot.

travsirocz 08-06-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 96461)
I don't see it, guys, please explain. Yes, the shot can be improved, but maybe not even to RP standards. How does one get to "winner" or "PCA"?

If processed well, you may be able to get the sky and balloons (wish they were closer) to pop some and bring the train out a bit. Steve Carter has a sorta similiar shot (sorta).
edit: scratch the Steve Carter shot, not very similiar at all.

JRMDC 08-06-2009 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travsirocz (Post 96462)
If processed well, you may be able to get the sky and balloons (wish they were closer) to pop some and bring the train out a bit. Steve Carter has a sorta similiar shot (sorta).

Took a quick look, didn't see one. Here's one I like.
[photoid=109945]

This one is neat!
[photoid=254235]

Oh, maybe you mean this one?
[photoid=273258]

travsirocz 08-06-2009 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 96463)
Took a quick look, didn't see one. Here's one I like.
[photoid=109945]

This one is neat!
[photoid=254235]

Oh, maybe you mean this one?
[photoid=273258]

I was thinking of the last untill I looked it up and changed my mind.

ottergoose 08-06-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

The content in the photo is solid, it just needs a lot of work to make it presentable. See the old "Post Processing, Before and After" thread.

I'd imagine someone like Travis would really be able to make that shot look slick, he's got some work that I probably would have deleted if I saw it on the review on the camera screen, but ends up looking spectacular because of his PS Voodoo skills - same situation here.

JRMDC 08-06-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ottergoose (Post 96471)
The content in the photo is solid, it just needs a lot of work to make it presentable. See the old "Post Processing, Before and After" thread.

Ok, we just disagree, I guess. There is a basic whole-train shot, and it can certainly be made presentable, albeit by altering it way beyond reality in my view, but you said "PCA" and I don't see that. That last is the only reason I bothered to post.

Chris Z 08-06-2009 11:18 PM

I see these really more colorful than real skies and I wonder how they do it. I've been a member of RP a year now and didn't know squat when I joined. I've learned to use photo shop to some extent thanks to the helpful experienced people on here.

I'd like to see how the experts do it cause I still don't get it right. Here is my lame attempt at it and I'd like some feedback if some experienced person wouldn't mind sharing some of his or her talents.

Chris Z.

JimThias 08-06-2009 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ottergoose (Post 96471)
I'd imagine someone like Travis would really be able to make that shot look slick, he's got some work that I probably would have deleted if I saw it on the review on the camera screen, but ends up looking spectacular because of his PS Voodoo skills - same situation here.

It's called "saturation." Give it a try. ;-)

bigbassloyd 08-06-2009 11:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my go at it. I increased red, decreased gamma, a slight decrease in contrast, and some healthy saturation.

Loyd L.

ChaBonOR 08-07-2009 06:03 AM

Wow

You guys are a great bunch! I am very surprised to see how many of you put efforts into editing my photo. The point has been well-made that the right touch of post-processing can make that sky more like what I saw that morning.

It is still a question whether it will get past a Cloudy nay-sayer but thank you, everyone, for the encouragement to try again and push my Photoshop experience beyond my comfort zone.

BTW, the poll results do seem to indicate this shot is good... it just needs more adjustments.

Cheers,
-Charles

ChaBonOR 08-07-2009 06:06 AM

Publication quality

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 96463)
This one is neat!
[photoid=254235]

That one appears on a recent Amtrak timetable. The crop is vertical to remove the BNSF freight loco on the back.

-Charles

ChaBonOR 08-07-2009 06:08 AM

Quote:

No, the train is going away from me... and the 90250 NPCU is leading.

-Charles

JRMDC 08-07-2009 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaBonOR (Post 96511)
No, the train is going away from me... and the 90250 NPCU is leading.

My bad, sorry, I didn't know Amtrak had "cabbage" cars painted for Cascades service. I have seen the 9022x versions in Chicago and I didn't know about the 9025x ones.

Joe the Photog 08-07-2009 04:12 PM

The first thing the "right photo processor" needs to do is to sharpen the train still. But I still think this is a non-RP shot anyway you cut it. Or process it.