RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photo Processing Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Filters and spice, nice to a point! (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16434)

Mgoldman 06-10-2013 08:00 PM

Filters and spice, nice to a point!

1 Attachment(s)
I'm calling the vignette police if this doesn't stop, lol.

Use like a spice - some dishes call for a little, some for a lot
and some not at all - just say'n!

Attachment 8056

bigbassloyd 06-10-2013 08:41 PM

Pics, or it didn't happen

Loyd L.

JimThias 06-11-2013 01:56 AM

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/atta...sworthless.jpg

Mgoldman 06-11-2013 02:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I ain't naming names - just found it interesting when someone I know brought it up. Mostly, I just took the opportunity to sign off vignetted, lol.

Attachment 8058

bigbassloyd 06-13-2013 02:32 PM

I see a lot of crappy editing on here, but nothing that's sticking out more than the rest.. :D

And since dey aint no pichers, this thread is dun.

Loyd L.

JRMDC 06-13-2013 03:11 PM

Well, I am not a vignetting fan. I see how some might see its role in making an image look like something from a century ago, when equipment was not as good. And some have been using it to instill a certain mood into shots, such as Travis and Jon Cirsanti. Sometimes I am ok with that, sometimes not so much. When it is used as more of a pure framing device, well, I am still trying to sort out when I like that, am ok with that, or hate that. Clearly I have some distaste for it, but on the other hand, I do like it at times, as with some Crisanti shots in particular.

But I don't see the point at all in a bright sun shot. So here's a shot by Samuel Phillips. I think we can all agree that one can't casting aspersions on his talent and execution of same, we all know he is a fine photographer. So why do this???

[photoid=439241]

Uugh!

Also, this one. Looks like a nice day, but the sun hid behind a cloud. It happens, and I for one don't find that to be as big a detriment to a shot as others do. Hey, tastes vary. But what is the point of the vignette? It is the exact opposite of natural, in my book, I find it a jarring addition to the shot.

[photoid=438429]

Mgoldman 06-13-2013 07:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So as not to single Samuel out - and the same statement applies two these two fine photogrpahers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 167292)
I think we can all agree that one can't cast aspersions on his talent and execution of same, we all know he is a fine photographer...

[photoid=438971]

[photoid=438565]

Janusz brought to light the sunny day vignetting - though, I made an involuntary note of the vignetting going on with a recent plethora of dark, dingy, Halloween-like images. At times, lately, I thought I was going to need an appointment with an eye doctor - the world seemed to be closing in on me, lol. Like a Tim Burton movie.

Attachment 8059

Three cheers, none the less - I've toyed with it myself at times where I would not have thought to, and it does have it's appeal. I just try to using sparingly - like movie transition special effects; neat at first, but best in moderation.

/Mitch

JRMDC 06-13-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldman (Post 167295)
So as not to single Samuel out - and the same statement applies two these two fine photogrpahers:

[photoid=438971]

[photoid=438565]

Janusz brought to light the sunny day vignetting - though, I made an involuntary note of the vignetting going on with a recent plethora of dark, dingy, Halloween-like images. ...

Three cheers, none the less - I've toyed with it myself at times where I would not have thought to, and it does have it's appeal. I just try to using sparingly - like movie transition special effects; neat at first, but best in moderation.

/Mitch

nice catch on the Crisanti shot, another fine example. Travis' shot, tougher call. It isn't clear that the left side, in particular, is really much affected, and the scene without vignetting may have mixed brightness. At the same time, the vignetting there doesn't add anything, for my tastes.

My views on vignetting, maybe the better word is tastes, have shifted over time. I see some value, or at least neutrally, no loss of value, in its use at times. But sometimes it sticks out as jarringly out of place, as in three of the four shots here (not counting the image of Mr. Burton).

There is a tradeoff, I think, enhancement of visual effect (call it enhanced mood if you like) vs deviation from what I will very loosely call "natural." And then there is the separate (to me) framing effect, independent of its effect on mood. To be explored ...

nikos1 06-14-2013 04:17 AM

The vingetting on the UP GEVO wedge shot is just stupid, like something you would expect to find on instagram. I think Samuels 70ACe and Travis's shot's are pretty tastefully done in my opinion.

KevinM 06-16-2013 01:28 PM

I think that the issue with the vignettes cited in this thread is that they are overdone. The best vignettes are subtle. Just enough to subliminally focus your attention, but not so much that you consciously think: "gee, why did the photographer do this?"

Mgoldman 06-18-2013 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinM (Post 167369)
I think that the issue with the vignettes cited in this thread is that they are overdone. The best vignettes are subtle. Just enough to subliminally focus your attention, but not so much that you consciously think: "gee, why did the photographer do this?"

Overdone, but not so much as in over processed - though there are examples of that as well. To be honest, even the ones that were over-processed have their charm but it was getting to be the new doom and gloom norm.

/Mitch