RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Bad Angle (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16996)

conrail1990 03-23-2014 05:14 PM

Bad Angle

I have a feeling the screener was looking at the design of the car and assumed the car was going forward from the front instead of forward from the rear. The car is coming toward the camera.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...15&key=2761513

Freericks 03-23-2014 05:43 PM

I have no suggestions. I think it belongs in the DB.

Joe the Photog 03-23-2014 07:40 PM

The rejection reads: "Reason(s) for Rejection:
- Bad Angle: The angle from which the image was composed is poor. This can include extreme angles below or above the subject, uninteresting angles on roster shots, and images in which the train is going away from the viewer."

I wonder if it's more this than anything. The thing that bothers me most is that the trailing track is cut off as is the road. The road is basically a patch of grey sticking out from the bottom of the frame. Good job on the pan, but that's about the only interesting thing about it.

Mgoldman 03-23-2014 07:46 PM

I hate when PC's get rejected.

It's an amazing (and amazingly difficult) shot - it is anything but an "uninteresting angle on a "roster shot"". Please send me the bookmark to the site you post next.

/Mitch

nikos1 03-23-2014 08:14 PM

This is stupid....I hope the screener just hit the wrong button. Not sure how exactly you are supposed to keep the track going back to infinity in a pan shot, or how that would even be desirable.

MassArt Images 03-23-2014 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe the Photog (Post 176929)
I wonder if it's more this than anything. The thing that bothers me most is that the trailing track is cut off as is the road. The road is basically a patch of grey sticking out from the bottom of the frame. Good job on the pan, but that's about the only interesting thing about it.

Psst..... I just heard it through the grape-forum; Mr. Joseph Hinton was a guest screener when this picture was submitted.:rolleyes:

I like the shot too. I might have to try that this Friday in Strasburg when the LS&O Motor Car is running. @Mitch: Where is a good spot for a pan with the rails going to infinity?:lol:

JRMDC 03-23-2014 08:56 PM

I am guessing that the screener does not care for pans that fall in the gap between regular side pans and nose-on zoom pans. Perhaps because of the uneven background blurring between the left and right sides. I am fine with it but reasonable people can disagree.

Mgoldman 03-23-2014 09:18 PM

That would seem to fall into line here, then.

It's not whether or a not a photo is good, creative or technically well captured, but rather whether photos fit the individual tastes of a screener. In other words, if a screener doesn't like B&W, or maybe doesn't have a preference for steam, abstract, leasers or buildings, it's all fair game for a rejection.

That could help explain why crap gets in and great stuff sometimes does not.

Evan - do you have a similar pan of a heritage unit?

Clarity.

/Mitch

conrail1990 03-23-2014 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldman (Post 176939)

I very well might. :lol:

MassArt Images 03-23-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldman (Post 176939)

Clarity.

/Mitch

Jab, jab, poke the bear. Me thinks it is still hibernating since it snowed the first two days of spring in Pittsburgh.:lol:

troy12n 03-23-2014 09:30 PM

More screener consistency...

That's a bad rejection

Insert_Name_Here 03-24-2014 04:13 AM

Yeah, appeal that please

Mgoldman 03-24-2014 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insert_Name_Here (Post 176953)
Yeah, appeal that please

I've always wondered what happens when a screener sees a shot he rejected later show up in the database un-edited. Is it like "Son of a bitch! - It's war now".

'Course, that should never be the case... it should either meet stated standards or not. Unless instead, it is more about preferences and personal biases.

Good luck should you elect to appeal vs keeping it in your own personal collection (AKA: FLICKR, SmugMug, FB, Zenfolio, 500px, PBase, ect...)

/Mitch

Freericks 03-24-2014 04:46 AM

Weren't there two screeners who mysteriously vanished? Mitch, you may have solved the mystery.

It was revenge murder.

Mgoldman 03-24-2014 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freericks (Post 176956)
Weren't there two screeners who mysteriously vanished? Mitch, you may have solved the mystery.

I meant screener to patron. For the longest time I had good fortune with my appeals. Then, not so much. I think I went rather suddenly from about 80% to 5% accepted appeals. 'Course, it could just be that my photography is simply getting much worse.

/Mitch

conrail1990 03-24-2014 10:22 PM

I went for the appeal route and no surprise I lost.

Freericks 03-24-2014 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldman (Post 176962)
I meant screener to patron. For the longest time I had good fortune with my appeals. Then, not so much. I think I went rather suddenly from about 80% to 5% accepted appeals. 'Course, it could just be that my photography is simply getting much worse.

/Mitch

I wouldn't take it personally. My appeal to win ratio used to be much higher too. Eiether we both got worse or they are not being as liberal with allowing appeals in.

Freericks 03-24-2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conrail1990 (Post 176978)

I just don't get it and am frustrated for you. Maybe J and Joe were right and the rest of us are all missing something.

Mgoldman 03-24-2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Well clearly admin knows what's best for the site despite what would be implied otherwise in this thread. That's a damn shame - that was one of my favorite Doodlebug shots and a top W&W shot. I'll look for it in next year's W&W brochure.

One of the things I really liked about RP early on was it was the site for the best railroad photos on the net. Now, it's just one of the sites - send me that bookmark, please.

Sadly the site seems content in it's spiral "indecline".

Speaking of which, anyone have a link to "indecline's" current photos?
Maybe we need to set up a new Forum thread: "Gallery: Where are they now?" complete with links.

/Mitch

MassArt Images 03-25-2014 12:00 AM

Well the way to get all the shots you like on so that your RP colleagues can see them is to post them here in the forum using the attachment feature. Wala... Problem solved! We can even start a new thread for ROTW's and put the best of the rejects in there!

Mberry 03-25-2014 12:07 AM

Quote:

Appealing on RP is one of the most futile experiences known to man in my experience.

JimThias 03-25-2014 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldman (Post 176981)
Speaking of which, anyone have a link to "indecline's" current photos?
Maybe we need to set up a new Forum thread: "Gallery: Where are they now?" complete with links.

\Mitch

Did Blair Kooistra (sp?) pack his bags and leave?

Holloran Grade 03-25-2014 01:04 AM

Indecline bailed on the RP circus wagon a few months ago.

He still posts on Facebook and I imagine he still browses the forum.

The screener for the last 24 hours seems to be the wedgie guy.

Most of the shots are all wedgies and anything artistic is punted.

And I don't upload on Wednesdays anymore.

Whomever screens then its just too restrictive.

JimThias 03-25-2014 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 176989)
Indecline bailed on the RP circus wagon a few months ago.

He still posts on Facebook and I imagine he still browses the forum.

The screener for the last 24 hours seems to be the wedgie guy.

Most of the shots are all wedgies and anything artistic is punted.

Lots of rejects today. My image was #51 in the queue, and after being accepted it's #18 for the day. That's 33 rejections out of 50 images screened. :eek:

But anyway, there doesn't seem to be any more wedgies accepted today than any other day of the week. And what makes you think a bunch of artistic shots were rejected? Perhaps there just weren't that many submitted today. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/s...onfused005.gif

Freericks 03-25-2014 02:08 AM

Indecline and Blair Koistra both left. Really a shame - two wonderful photographers with amazing stuff going back decades.