RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Night Photos standards? (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17080)

Firefighter1019 06-12-2014 06:04 AM

So the NS Virginian decided to park in town today. Ended up shooting in RAW and was pleased with the editing ease. Unfort it was overcast day so not even worth uploading with RP standards. None the less still pleased with RAW.

troy12n 06-12-2014 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagnumForce (Post 179662)
For what I shoot raw requires more work for an acceptable image.

I dont understand this, what are you all using for processing? MS Paint?

Using a real program like Photoshop or lightroom takes zero additional steps for working with a raw file vs a .jpg

JimThias 06-12-2014 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagnumForce (Post 179662)
For what I shoot raw requires more work for an acceptable image. Has nothing to-do with storage. If I cared more or wanted the extra tweakability I would shoot raw. But as it is I can just straighten and crop with Jpg while I have to change a whole myriad of things when I shoot raw. If I cared enough I guess I could learn to batch edit.

How come your jpgs don't have the EXIF data attached?

bigbassloyd 06-12-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 179660)
I just dont see the point to shooting .jpg, why hamstring yourself. Storage is cheap nowadays

Quote:

Using a real program like Photoshop or lightroom takes zero additional steps for working with a raw file vs a .jpg
Unless you have a version of Elements and Photoshop CS5 that do not recognize your raw files from your new camera. Then you have to convert them to .dng which takes 8 seconds per file. ;) Not a big deal for the stupid foamer photos I take. Big deal for a wedding weeked with 1500-2000 photos.

And when it comes to wedding photos, I have my bodies setup to deliever ready to use (contrast and sharpening, etc applied in-camera) .jpg files for quicker turn around with clients. Also, batch editing raw files sometimes doesn't work, because of varying light sources and intensities. As I said earlier, I do shoot .jpg + raw for a plan B.

Your mileage may vary, but I will always have a desire to shoot .jpg in certain circumstances.

Loyd L.

MagnumForce 06-12-2014 07:17 PM

I use the current version of elements and my exif data is there, look again.

Look at that link I shared, with raw you do a lot your camera already does for you with JPG.

I just don't have a need for it, not talking anyone down because I do believe that shooting in RAW is better. I just do not have the patience for it and don't care enough to do it. I have done it on several occasions before and I just didn't see the point.

Hell I even shoot in Program AE 50% of the time, mock me if you want. I am not the type to set up for a shot and wait, I am very Kamikaze in my shooting and fumbling with camera settings while driving down the road just doesn't work to well. I have blown too many shots because I forget to change my setting from location to location and 90% of the time my camera can figure out what I want anyway, especially when it's sunny. When it is cloudy I always set things on my own.

Firefighter1019 06-12-2014 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 179666)
How come your jpgs don't have the EXIF data attached?

For some reason when I use Corels PS to edit my photos when I save them it wipes the EXIF data. Ive tried recommended settings but havent been able to find a fix for that. According to some forum sites PS has the issue with Canon Cameras.

Firefighter1019 06-12-2014 08:27 PM

I always upload my pics with the EXIF option But I think its the PS issue causing the problem.

JRMDC 06-12-2014 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefighter1019 (Post 179669)
For some reason when I use Corels PS to edit my photos when I save them it wipes the EXIF data. Ive tried recommended settings but havent been able to find a fix for that. According to some forum sites PS has the issue with Canon Cameras.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefighter1019 (Post 179671)
I always upload my pics with the EXIF option But I think its the PS issue causing the problem.

I have generally found that people refer to Corel PaintShop Pro as PSP. It avoids confusion with Adobe's Photoshop which is the software customarily referred to as PS.

troy12n 06-12-2014 10:24 PM

Corel is still in business?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 179667)
Unless you have a version of Elements and Photoshop CS5 that do not recognize your raw files from your new camera.

I thought adobe had free updates to Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) which alleviated that problem?

If not, that's something I have not run into beings my newest camera body is a 40D

hoydie17 06-13-2014 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 179673)
Corel is still in business?

I thought adobe had free updates to Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) which alleviated that problem?

If not, that's something I have not run into beings my newest camera body is a 40D

Yes, but Adobe quits updating ACR and DNG camera profiles as Photoshop and Lightroom releases new versions. So if you're using an older version such as CS3 or CS4, and you have a relatively new body, you may not be able to patch the newest version of ACR or DNG converter into the older version of PS/LR.

bigbassloyd 06-13-2014 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 179673)

They do until they release a newer version, then it's f--- your camera.

Loyd L.

JimThias 06-13-2014 01:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MagnumForce (Post 179668)
I use the current version of elements and my exif data is there, look again.

When I view your pics on RP, it won't show me the EXIF data.

This is what I see:

Attachment 8619

Firefighter1019 06-13-2014 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase55671 (Post 179653)
So true! I've seen purple, blue, white, yellow, etc. etc. You wouldn't think it would differ that much, but it does.

Chase

Shot a thunderstorm the other night and I had purples and blue/white shots. Ive noticed sometimes the color of the bolts are sometimes changed by the light pollution in the clouds and the distance of the bolts. Also whether its CC or CG lightning makes a big difference.

MagnumForce 06-13-2014 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 179679)
When I view your pics on RP, it won't show me the EXIF data.

This is what I see:

Attachment 8619

Must be an RP issue then as it is everywhere else.

http://railroadfan.com/gallery/album...apture%7E0.JPG

Dennis A. Livesey 06-13-2014 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Flanary (Post 178765)
Remember...I don't shoot in raw. The files are too, too large, and I don't place too much archival value in my digital shots.

I would say this is startling coming from a man who has been archiving superb rail photos for decades.

How many times Ron you have complained about the poor quality of the photos you took 50 years ago with bad camera's and bad film? Well, by shooting on JPEG'S, you are doing the same thing now.

RAW keeps everything the sensor saw. Not only is this archival, it also allows the ability to truly work with your image.

The "too large" argument is so 2001. Cards and drives are so huge and cheap now there is no reason to stick with that rational.

50 years from now someone will be saying, "Darn it, if only Ron had shot this in RAW! Then it would have worked really good on our L&N Holodeck!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodeck

MagnumForce 06-13-2014 02:56 AM

No idea why my exif data is not on RP, I know it always used to be so this really puzzles me.

In fact it is here starting with this image. [photoid=463955]

JimThias 06-13-2014 11:04 AM

Yup, works with that one.

hoydie17 06-13-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefighter1019 (Post 179680)
Shot a thunderstorm the other night and I had purples and blue/white shots. Ive noticed sometimes the color of the bolts are sometimes changed by the light pollution in the clouds and the distance of the bolts. Also whether its CC or CG lightning makes a big difference.

Lightning itself is always white... the color cast is from the air molecules in the vicinity of the lightning bolt.

Fireworks guys (pyrotechnicians) rely on the excitation of gases released by different chemicals in a bocade when they become superheated, and that is the same principle behind different "colors" of lightning.

When processing lightning shots, you should always try to get the bolts as close to white as you can, regardless of what it does to the sky around it. That is how you know what the true color of the sky and ostensibly the molecular breakdown of the atmosphere at that point in time.