RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Does this have any merit? (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17923)

miningcamper1 06-09-2017 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 191111)

Smoky delight!
Better than lots of pics that get accepted. I'm happy to save it.

The other one suffers from high sun and thin clouds IMO.

JimThias 06-10-2017 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 191488)
I have this in my back pocket... completely unedited or cropped

I just really liked it as-submitted, despite the "non-standard for railpictures" composition

That looks pretty good. The train placement works better for my eyes. What doesn't work is the shiny thing (fence post?) in the bottom left. Totally distracting. Clone it out!

troy12n 06-10-2017 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 191490)
That looks pretty good. The train placement works better for my eyes. What doesn't work is the shiny thing (fence post?) in the bottom left. Totally distracting. Clone it out!

Oh, no doubt, it's not a fencepost, it's someone who stuck their camera into my space...

They rejected my tighter edit for dimensions, so I guess I will give one of those other frames a shot...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...42&key=1432053

JimThias 06-12-2017 12:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 191491)
Oh, no doubt, it's not a fencepost, it's someone who stuck their camera into my space...


You need to work on your elbow-throwing technique. :lol:

Cut that one down to 3:2 and you may get it in.


Attachment 9447

bigbassloyd 06-12-2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 191491)
it's someone who stuck their camera into my space...

I had to politely, then impolitely ask a guy to move his arm during the sts-135 launch in 2011. If you think the 611 photo lines were rough, try shooting from the Max Brewer Bridge with 750,000 of your closet friends.

Loyd L.

troy12n 06-12-2017 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 191502)
You need to work on your elbow-throwing technique. :lol:

I will try to post it later tonight when I get home, but one of my last shots for the weekend was at Christiansburg by the depot, I was set up on the little bridge on the West/North side of the tracks, some asshole comes out of nowhere and his big bald head is right in front my my camera as I was getting my shot. I am not sure if I can merge 2 frames to make it work or not, but I was pissed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 191507)
I had to politely, then impolitely ask a guy to move his arm during the sts-135 launch in 2011. If you think the 611 photo lines were rough, try shooting from the Max Brewer Bridge with 750,000 of your closet friends.

I bet. When I was little my family would camp out on the side of the Bananna and Indian river and watch the shuttle launches. It was a thing. I was there for STS-2, the 2nd ever shuttle launch!

ShortlinesUSA 06-13-2017 07:21 PM

The coolest thing about those shuttle launches from Titusville was when the sound hit you, well after it left the pad and the sky lit up. I saw many during my years at Embry Riddle, and actually never saw a day launch. We only went down for the night launches.

bigbassloyd 06-13-2017 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA (Post 191547)
The coolest thing about those shuttle launches from Titusville was when the sound hit you, well after it left the pad and the sky lit up. I saw many during my years at Embry Riddle, and actually never saw a day launch. We only went down for the night launches.

It was one of most amazing things I've experienced. Atlantis lifted with a relatively low cloud ceiling, so I only saw the shuttle for a handful of seconds, but the sound when it arrived to my location was unbelievable.

Loyd L.

John West 06-13-2017 09:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How about something like this. My first reaction was what the heck was the fireman doing to the poor engine, that is a LOT of smoke.

bigbassloyd 06-13-2017 11:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The crew does it all for show.

This shot was taken at Shawsville, where a large crowd is always in position in several spots on the 1.4 percent grade.

http://forums.railpictures.net/attac...1&d=1497396967

This one was taken a half mile East of Shawsville, on the same 1.4 percent grade, but in a spot where only my buddy and I were at.

http://forums.railpictures.net/attac...1&d=1497397195

And that old girl was talking loud through the cut!

Loyd L.

troy12n 06-14-2017 03:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I processed this other frame 2 ways, thoughts?

There are aspects of both that I like. My original intention was to show as much of the "scene" as possible, including the road and fence, which is lost for the most part with the horizontal crop

miningcamper1 06-14-2017 06:50 AM

Landscape good, vertical too centered.

bigbassloyd 06-14-2017 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 191552)
Landscape good, vertical too centered.

I agree as well

Loyd L.

troy12n 06-14-2017 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 191552)
Landscape good, vertical too centered.

Yeah, I cropped the landscape one so the locomotive headlight is almost at the lower right rule of thirds junction (a little low), the other one is not, at all, I get that


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.