RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   At wits end with this stuff. (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14561)

asis80 11-14-2011 02:25 AM

At wits end with this stuff.
 
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=630898774

I'm sure everyone and their mother has shot the crap out of one location, and I'm sure the same people are getting tired of mindless, one armed monkey, wedgie shots. Sure, power is great sometimes, but this is the best of the net. I am in no way saying the above is best of the net, but with all this above mention of relentless over shooting, over wedgie-fying every spot on this god given earth, we are forced to think outside of the box, no? Maybe I can crop in a little tighter, maybe. A full sized train would have helped here, yes. But a derailment 100 miles to the east of here halted all traffic for most of the day and this AVR move was the only thing running. What do you think? Crop in more? This is basically the original image, the placement of the train and the space around it mostly how the original is. I give up, honestly. Tell us RP, what do YOU want? Because I just don't know anymore.

Ben

JimThias 11-14-2011 02:26 AM

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...s/0014gr0b.gif

Hatchetman 11-14-2011 02:31 AM

fabulous leaves. do you have a shot with the train closer forward?

asis80 11-14-2011 02:32 AM

Unfortunately no....BUT. Even if I did, I like the placement. If I were to change anything, maybe the units slightly forward, and I mean ever so slightly.

Ben

Chase55671 11-14-2011 02:34 AM

Relax, Ben. You want RP to tell you what we want... I personally think the shot is empty. You have what appears to be one engine, far in the distance with an extremely dull foreground. Your other efforts at this location have been far better, including the one I just accepted.

No need to get bent out of shape...

Chase

troy12n 11-14-2011 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asis80 (Post 144658)
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=630898774

I'm sure everyone and their mother has shot the crap out of one location, and I'm sure the same people are getting tired of mindless, one armed monkey, wedgie shots. Sure, power is great sometimes, but this is the best of the net. I am in no way saying the above is best of the net, but with all this above mention of relentless over shooting, over wedgie-fying every spot on this god given earth, we are forced to think outside of the box, no? Maybe I can crop in a little tighter, maybe. A full sized train would have helped here, yes. But a derailment 100 miles to the east of here halted all traffic for most of the day and this AVR move was the only thing running. What do you think? Crop in more? This is basically the original image, the placement of the train and the space around it mostly how the original is. I give up, honestly. Tell us RP, what do YOU want? Because I just don't know anymore.

Ben

Are you serious or joking? I cant really tell if you submitted that as a joke or not...

asis80 11-14-2011 02:38 AM

I am quite serious. Someone told me you would say exactly what you just typed, Troy. lol

Ben

coborn35 11-14-2011 02:38 AM

I dont care for the fence in the foreground, but I do love the leaves overhead. Why did you not get a shot of the engines closer?

asis80 11-14-2011 02:41 AM

That's all the farther they went, to get headroom past the signal to throw a switch behind them.

troy12n 11-14-2011 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asis80 (Post 144667)
I am quite serious. Someone told me you would say exactly what you just typed, Troy. lol

Ben

I'm pretty predictable I guess.

At any rate, I don't know about the train too far away, but the composition reject is correct.

Furthermore, I would think the following would have been appropriate rejects:
Unlevel
Foreground clutter
soft
some sort of lighting reject
blown out sky
maybe cropping

Dont take this personal, but i'm surprised you would even submit that.

The fence in the foreground is the worst part about it, that totally kills it... for me anyway

Mgoldman 11-14-2011 03:08 AM

Gotta second Chase, Ben.

The engine is kind of centered in the scene, so there's your composition /balance reject. Actually, if you had framed the train more to the right it would've been more appealing. Then, you'd have only a PEQ. A blurry foreground rarely works leaving you with a single diesel in the distance on an overcast day.

Now, stop giving the screeners ammunition!!! ;)

/Mitch

Ron Flanary 11-14-2011 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coborn35 (Post 144668)
I dont care for the fence in the foreground, but I do love the leaves overhead. Why did you not get a shot of the engines closer?

That was almost what I intended to say (so, you're obviously a brilliant guy...).

I love the scene---including the placement of the locomotive. The fence in the foreground kills it for me. Had you just raised the camera and forgotten about including that particular element, I think it would have been a dynamite shot.

Having the train closer would have sucked canal water.....

Joe the Photog 11-14-2011 03:27 AM

I think you got track effed. The train was on the right track. I say try this again with a train coming all the way through the scene and not on the far right track. FWIW, I like the idea, but the execution wasn't there this time.

Joe the Photog 11-14-2011 03:29 AM

I do like that this thread proves what we always say about photography in general and screening at RP -- it's all subjective. I like the fence idea, but that doesn't mean that Ron and others who don't are wrong. Although it does mean that I'm right.

:twisted:

Mr. Pick 11-14-2011 04:04 AM

This one's nice. Same general location?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=381027&nseq=0

JRMDC 11-14-2011 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 144666)
Are you serious or joking? I cant really tell if you submitted that as a joke or not...

Quote:

Originally Posted by asis80 (Post 144667)
I am quite serious. Someone told me you would say exactly what you just typed, Troy. lol

Ben

I'm with Troy here, generally speaking. And I have to disagree with Coburn; foreground leaves are nice but that totally blurred blob upper left is pretty bad in my book. Are they within 3 feet of the camera? I don't think I have ever seen a shot try to have that sort of a foliage blob.

IHapsias 11-14-2011 01:44 PM

[photoid=381027]

You got one on and its creative, so why worry about the rejected shot. It could have been rejected for similar to previous with chris lokey's shot, but wasn't. And I'm not complaining, its a great creative shot, they both are, but the rejected one is maybe too creative for RP.

[photoid=380986]

Mr. Pick 11-14-2011 03:38 PM

I spent a good 4 hours this weekend looking through pictures here on RP.net, and on a couple of other rail picture sights. I have to say, there is a marked difference between the quality of shots on this site vs many others.

Not to pick on anyone in particular, but this is a picture that is way too typical of pictures on other sites where there is apparently no screening at all (be sure and read the poster's comment at the top...):

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=1239854

While screening inevitably leads to disagreement and hurt feelings from time to time, as a new guy with fresh eyes, I think it's worth it. I have no desire to have my pictures posted on those other sites. I do want to eventually submit pictures and have them accepted here and will take pride in them.

nikos1 11-14-2011 03:45 PM

What makes all the other shots here "mindless, one armed monkey, wedgie shots"? the composition of the shots that Ian posted are much better. In a spot like this even if the composition is fairly standard the shot is still interesting because of the location. Just because its different doesnt mean its good. Go and reshoot on a day when more trains are running if the leaves last, you need something on the far track closer to the camera for the composition to work, and find a way to use the leaves to block the white sky.

WMHeilman 11-14-2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos1 (Post 144730)
What makes all the other shots here "mindless, one armed monkey, wedgie shots"?

He never said that "all the other shots" are mindless, rather he said "people are getting tired of the mindless, one armed monkey, wedgie shots."

While I won't name any names, there are several contributors who show little to no creativity. To each their own, but I'd rather be creative. I'm tired of all the wedgies with nothing but the train. A well-executed wedgie is fine, as long as there's some sort of scenery, older signals, something.

Joe the Photog 11-14-2011 03:58 PM

Mr. Pick;

That site which you linked that shot from is not meant to compete with this site quality wise. It is not screened and it doesn't claim to have the best pictures on the net. That would be like comparing some of the better TV shows on network out there to some local access cable show put on by Wayne and Garth. Not a fair comparision.

troy12n 11-14-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pick (Post 144729)
Not to pick on anyone in particular, but this is a picture that is way too typical of pictures on other sites where there is apparently no screening at all (be sure and read the poster's comment at the top...):

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/sho...spx?id=1239854

Dude, that's a well executed blur shot. It's also very artistic composition showing the duality of the railfan. On one hand you have the train headed one way, and the highway sign pointing in the opposite direction. Which way should you head? I don't know. Also the truck/rig in the background showing competing modes of transport. It's also leaning which shows it's authenticity versus all the boring level shots you see on railpictures. The world is not flat! You also have the environmental element of clouds, very ominous. And it's a YN2 standard cab!

Mr. Pick 11-14-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe the Photog (Post 144733)
Mr. Pick;

That site which you linked that shot from is not meant to compete with this site quality wise. It is not screened and it doesn't claim to have the best pictures on the net. That would be like comparing some of the better TV shows on network out there to some local access cable show put on by Wayne and Garth. Not a fair comparision.

I probably didn't articulate what I was trying to say very well. My bad. Let me try again. The point was to show the impact screening has on this site by looking at a too typical shot from an unscreened site.

So, while there is pain and suffering when the rules seem too rigid and a submitted shot is rejected, maybe even unfairly, overall the pain is worth it. If there is no enforced standard, even a subjective one, then the above picture is what you would ultimately end up with here.

John West 11-14-2011 05:22 PM

Close but no banana
 
The reject had the potential to be far more interesting than the one that got accepted. The trackwork is interesting and the placement of the single unit in the distance is nice understatement. But the out of focus fence kills it and the overall composition is not right. Close but no banana.

Hatchetman 11-14-2011 05:34 PM

Although Ben went for the gusto and came up short, he still earns a Schlitz in my book.


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.