RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The Great Reunion (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7383)

willig 05-19-2008 08:03 PM

The Great Reunion

On July 5th and 6th there will be a line-up of all four UK-based streamlined A4s at the National Railway Museum at York, England. \this will be the first time for about 45 years that this has happened. In case you don't know what A4s are, here they are [photoid=225942] [photoid=220138] [photoid=209156] [photoid=215388]

Imagine - all of these beautiful locos in a line together!

Mind you, the NRM are charging 32.50 ($65) a time just to enter the enclosure to take photos.But, since I haven't seen four A4s together for over 45 years I've splashed out and ordered a ticket.

My point is:- Will anyone else out there be going to this once-in-a-lifetime event?

andy buckley 05-19-2008 10:45 PM

Out of my budget I'm afraid - even for something as special as this.

I'll look forward to hopefully seeing some great images on RP.net instead! :D

btw, Graham, not being funny (and it may of course be my vari-focals) but I'm seeing a problem with your image of 'Mallard'

[photoid=220138]

It reminds me of a fold in a page where the picture runs across the centre page of a magazine - you can see it in the track just in front of the loco and running up through the building behind. Also Mallard's nameplate doesn't look right - crinkly is a word that comes to mind!

Are you seeing it or is it just me? (Apologies if it is just me!)

Andy

JimThias 05-19-2008 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy buckley
btw, Graham, not being funny (and it may of course be my vari-focals) but I'm seeing a problem with your image of 'Mallard'

[photoid=220138]

Wow, I just read the comments under that photo:

Quote:

What's with the Railpictures.net watermark on the photo? That really ruins an otherwise great shot.
Quote:

The watermark ruins this picture and has just lost you my PCA vote.
I can't believe someone's decision on whether an image deserved a PCA or not was based on there being a watermark. That's just absurd. Some people... :roll:

A great shot is a great shot regardless if there is a watermark over it or not. If you can't see past a faded watermark to appreciate an image, you've got some issues.

WKUrailfan 05-20-2008 12:36 AM

Beautiful shots of some incredible locomotives, Graham. Congrats!

Joe the Photog 05-20-2008 12:46 AM

I hate watermarks. I think most of them are really bad and they probably don't really stop people who would steal a photo with a copyright on it from stealing that photo. I also have to be moved to give a PCA vote in the first place. So I could certainly see me not giving a PCA just because the watermark detracts from the shot as a whole.

I would not leave a comment pointing on the watermark though and wonder why the screen let these through and why the photog didn't remove them in the first place. I might, if I felt strongly enough, e-mail the photog with my two cents worth, but maybe I wouldn't either.

Watermarks suck, plain and simple. I would never put one on a shot of mine and I don't like that RP allows them. However, to each their own.

Joe

JimThias 05-20-2008 02:40 AM

Sure, watermarks suck, but to say a shot is changed from being worthy to not worthy just because one is visible is just plain silly.

Anyway, Graham, I look forward to seeing your shots of this "reunion." :)

Watain 05-20-2008 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias
Wow, I just read the comments under that photo:

I can't believe someone's decision on whether an image deserved a PCA or not was based on there being a watermark. That's just absurd. Some people... :roll:

A great shot is a great shot regardless if there is a watermark over it or not. If you can't see past a faded watermark to appreciate an image, you've got some issues.

I agree, I think whoever left those comments were completley out of line, that photo was taken a year before I was born and I cant believe how good it looks. it deserves a PCA watermarks dont determine whether a photo is deserving of a PCA. Amazes me those comments made it on that picture.
:-x

Great photos btw.:-)

Freericks 05-20-2008 03:55 AM

Graham - Really looking forward to your shots. It's a bit too much a drive for me from Santa Monica, although I would have loved to see it.

Wayne - I just freaked out, realizing that I have socks that are older than you! :cry: (Yeah, I'm jealous... age happens so fast.)

Watain 05-20-2008 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freericks

Wayne - I just freaked out, realizing that I have socks that are older than you! (Yeah, I'm jealous... age happens so fast.)

:lol::lol: Yeah tell me about it It seems like I just turned 10 a few days ago now Im 19.

That made my day though Charles:lol:

Freericks 05-20-2008 05:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watain
:lol::lol: Yeah tell me about it It seems like I just turned 10 a few days ago now Im 19.

That made my day though Charles:lol:

My oldest, who was born (I swear) about a week ago, is now 12. What are you going to do?

willig 05-20-2008 08:14 AM

At the time I uploaded the picture of Mallard, I was trying out watermarks, for fear of the pictures being stolen.

I have since realised that they won't stop anybody. But when I saw those comments I had two thoughts: 1) Why change your mind about a PCA just because of the watermark? It doesn't alter the photo anyway. 2) Wow, somebody has even considered giving a PCA vote to one of my pictures.

I took it off, because it was obviously ruining people's enjoyment of the picture. I don't use them any more.

I don't know if anyone has ever given a PCA vote for one of my shots. To the best of my knowledge there's no way of me finding that out. But I know I've never had a PCA and never will.
Perhaps that's because my pictures are usually concerned with seeing the train in the picture rather than composing a beautiful scene of what looks like an N gauge train running by a river through a magnificent canyon watched by two roosting bald eagles in the foreground. :lol:

What I mean is, I'm not really very good at this lark.

Anyway, will I meet any of you guys in York that day?

Callufrax 05-20-2008 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willig

Why couldn't this have happened before I left the UK at the beginning of last year? :)

Joe the Photog 05-20-2008 12:10 PM

Quote:

My oldest, who was born (I swear) about a week ago, is now 12. What are you going to do?

My son and daughter are 8 and 7 respectively and I swear my wife just popped them out last week! Take pictures, many pictures, because they do grow like weeds, evident in the high waters I had to make my son take off today for another pair of jeans.

I literally do have many clothes older than my kids though.

Joe

Watain 05-23-2008 02:43 AM

Quote:

Ugh I dunno time goes by so fast:shock:

willig 07-04-2008 09:16 AM

Well, I'm off to see the A4s at York tomorrow and the weather forecast is for heavy rain! :(

$65 down the drain? No - seeing the locos together will be enough, even if I don't get any showstopping photos.

Anyway, I can always hope for a short bright spell in between showers can't I?

If I do get anything half-decent, I'll upload.

Anyone else going to be there?

milwman 07-04-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

forecast is for heavy rain! :(

$65 down the drain? No - seeing the locos together will be enough, even if I don't get any showstopping photos.

If you carefull and get the exposer right, you will have some fine shots. Cut a hole in a bag( just smaller then the lens hood) that you can get your hand and camera both in, and tape it to the hood. Make a test run before you go to see if it will zoom with it. And towels to blot the rain off the lens. have fun! then hope there wrong and you have sun 8-)

KevinM 07-04-2008 01:40 PM

Quote:

Well, I'm off to see the A4s at York tomorrow and the weather forecast is for heavy rain! :(

Anyway, I can always hope for a short bright spell in between showers can't I?

Graham, your luck with railfan events sounds just like mine! :lol: :lol: :lol:

WembYard 07-04-2008 10:17 PM

Quote:

I don't know if anyone has ever given a PCA vote for one of my shots. To the best of my knowledge there's no way of me finding that out. But I know I've never had a PCA and never will.

FWIW, I gave a PCA vote for this one :)

[photoid=236418]

Quote:

After a long day at the East Lancs today, I will be having a lie-in and stay local tomorrow. Last chance for a ride / photos of this beast on my local line.

[photoid=202526]

willig 07-05-2008 08:14 PM

[quote=WembYard]FWIW, I gave a PCA vote for this one :)
QUOTE]

Aw, Janet thanks a million. You've made an old man very happy. (I hope you haven't been told that too often) :lol:

BTW, I bought Railway Magazine today and that shot got in. My first in RM for about 25 years.

Anyway, I went to York today. It poured down all day and I got absolutely drenched. I'll tell the full story on another post. In the meantime, here's the first shot.
[photoid=241639]
There are more to come.
Sorry about the quality, but that rain!

Freericks 07-05-2008 09:46 PM

Great shot, Graham. I like the one guy (or should I say bloke) in the very nice tan suit... who must be completely drenched, but couldn't seem to care less.