RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Jumping Ship for Flickr? (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17039)

Flowing 04-19-2014 06:10 AM

I post here because I like the database format. Search by railroad, locomotive type, location, what have you... I like that aspect of it. Rejects or 'unworthies' go to rrpicturearchives.net - because, again, it's a railroad-oriented database, searchable by things that matter to me as a railfan.

CSX1702 04-19-2014 06:14 AM

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instanc...x/48736139.jpg

Holloran Grade 04-19-2014 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ken45 (Post 177742)
.....The mass migration of the "good" photographers over to Flickr is because their ego can't take that a few of their shots they thought were great were rejected from this site because the screener on this site didn't think it fit what the site was going for.

That is not my observation after talking to a few of the "biggies" who gave up on RP.

One big complaint was that RP didn't give them any leeway regarding image quality on pictures taken 20 or more years ago.

The feeling was that the scans of slides, or prints was only going to be so good, because the photographic media of the day was limited.

Consequently, RP robbed us of viewing some really fantastic historical treasures, simply because they were "grainy" or cropped wrong.

Another complaint was the piddly rejections based on someone's subjective view of what a train photo was supposed to look like.

For instance - the blanket rejection for dark side images and back lighting.

Finally, it came down to the amount of time that said individuals felt they were putting in to get images accepted - it just was not worth it.

Perhaps it was ego, but it seems to me through talking with them and my own experience, that it just takes too much time to fiddle around with stuff to get it posted.

(I don't even fill out the captions anymore unless the photo is accepted.)

Quote:

Here's a thought: Since when do ALL your good shots HAVE to be on RP? Or if they aren't, you're taking your ball and going to Flickr?

Why continue to waste time?

I don't know about you, but I am not going to be here all that long, and perhaps there are other pursuits that would make a better use of my time.

Quote:

Why deny uploading the RP acceptable one because the borderline ones aren't making it?

Because what makes it on any given day is a crap shoot and there are some good reruns of All in the Family on cable.

Quote:

in the very next breath, they'll say that they use RP for researching photo trips.

Nope, never done that.

Quote:

That annoys me. You'll use my shots to research trips and find great angles, but you won't chip in a small handful of shots per year to contribute?

You realize that over 90% of the people that look at your photos on this site don't post anything at all?

If you don't believe me, look at the people who have favorited your photos, most of them have not posted at all.

Quote:

Why not throw up a couple shots? Think of the photographers that left. What if each one of them posted 1 shot per month. Just one. Doesn't have to be this revolutionary, boundary pushing shot. There would be a noticeable increase in image quality in the daily uploads.

Sunny day wedgies for the most part look the same, whether shot by someone like Ron (50 years under his belt) or the kid next door with a point and shoot.

Quote:

I wonder if a group of people would like this site and want to improve it to the point that they would contribute money to buy the site and pay to make upgrades to it to really make it great?

I can see it now - "RP bought out by the DV Investment & Aquasitions LLC, of Sand Patch Penn.":D

MagnumForce 04-19-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flowing (Post 177764)
I can't see myself uploading train photos to a pure photography site like Flickr, because on Flickr the train doesn't matter, just the image. And as a railfan, the train matters to me.

But for many of us the image matters far more than the train. Shoot the scene, not the train.

WMHeilman 04-19-2014 03:16 PM

I have lived and died by the "scene > train" rule since I really got into the photography aspect of railfanning.

MagnumForce 04-19-2014 03:27 PM

^mouthbreather

Ron Flanary 04-19-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missabefan (Post 177763)
Well that's good. Never mix business and pleasure but like I said, I would be curious to know their thoughts about RP and the direction it's heading or where it's going because every now and again on of these threads gets going between RP vs. Flickr. I say do both. If it's rejected here, put it there. No fuss no muss. Either one is fine and serves it's purpose but neither is worth losing sleep or sanity over.

Correct...except I think I would only place my "prime" shots on Flickr. That would include a few shots rejected on RP.net that are still "prime" in my opinion. :)

Ron Flanary 04-19-2014 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagnumForce (Post 177770)
But for many of us the image matters far more than the train. Shoot the scene, not the train.

AMEN!! Trains are just an element of a scene. I would prefer to think of this as capturing the essence of "railroading"---not just a stinkin' train!

Ron Flanary 04-19-2014 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 177769)
That is not my observation after talking to a few of the "biggies" who gave up on RP.

One big complaint was that RP didn't give them any leeway regarding image quality on pictures taken 20 or more years ago.

The feeling was that the scans of slides, or prints was only going to be so good, because the photographic media of the day was limited.

Consequently, RP robbed us of viewing some really fantastic historical treasures, simply because they were "grainy" or cropped wrong.

Another complaint was the piddly rejections based on someone's subjective view of what a train photo was supposed to look like.

For instance - the blanket rejection for dark side images and back lighting.

Finally, it came down to the amount of time that said individuals felt they were putting in to get images accepted - it just was not worth it.

Perhaps it was ego, but it seems to me through talking with them and my own experience, that it just takes too much time to fiddle around with stuff to get it posted.

(I don't even fill out the captions anymore unless the photo is accepted.)

You are absolutely dead-on correct. I do the best I can in scanning and correcting a slide taken 40 years ago. I've generally had some success (maybe 80 to 90 percent acceptance) in getting these shots on RP.net---but I do grow tired of the hassle of going through all that to appease someone. I could invest a fraction of the time, post it to Flickr, and no one would ever notice the difference. Far too much time is wasted in tweaking images for RP.net. I've even gotten a little paranoid ("....will they reject this because they THINK it's .5 degrees unlevel?....will this be rejected because the nose isn't fully illuminated?....will this be gigged because it was shot on the "dark side"?.....). Eventually, you get tired of it all. You have to decide what's worth your time....and how much time you'll put into something. Besides, there are a few of their "standards" that are just flat out archaic in terms of photography "rules" (IMHO).

I would much rather put in a fraction of the time and effort and post a shot to Flickr---and then tell my buddies: ".....Hey, Bubba...here's a link to a Rock Island passenger train I just posted to Flickr. Check it out...." And again, whether it's 20,000 people who click on that image, or just Bubba....at least Bubba and me will be happy. :)

Again---this is a hobby, it's not something I do to feed my ego. If I had that kind of need, I would have become a movie star. :)

JRMDC 04-19-2014 04:16 PM

I will freely admit that, unlike Ron, it does matter to me how many people click on my shot. I'm no so altruistic as Ron is, I am not much interested in uploading if it is only Bubba who benefits. :)

At the same time, I have not been willing to build a flickr audience - takes too much time, don't have it. And, if I wanted to build a flickr presence, I would have to be more strict in deciding what does on and what does not, so that I end up with a sufficiently attractive set that people are willing to look. In the past I used flickr as a storage space so my early stuff on there includes a number of junk shots being shared for reasons other than they look nice. That means I end up not uploading often.

But ultimately, if I want to have an internet "presence" as a rail photographer, I think I would need to have more shots to upload. As I don't get out that often, I do not, and so I can't create that presence or that "name", so I don't push the flickr, or upload to one of the general FB groups. Some day ...

Ron Flanary 04-19-2014 04:28 PM

Well....as a disclaimer, I must admit I've had more magazine articles published over the years than I deserve, and those (in Trains, at least) each got about 100,000 "hits." Consequently, the popularity of any shot I post to RP.net isn't quite that big of deal.

That said...if I have a shot that's fairly popular, or makes Shot of the Day or whatever....sure, it brings a smile to my face. We're all motivated by stuff like that (or we should be...). It's all human nature.

If I have a train shot that I just thought was the absolutely berries, but no one else gave it a good word (or maybe it was met with mass indifference)....yes, I would a little hurt. And conversely, if I get praise for something I've done....yes, I'm pleased.

But, RP.net isn't the main motivator in my life. I think that was my point (not clearly made, however).

Holloran Grade 04-19-2014 04:56 PM

My Thoughts.

Well in my experience, RP had it's place originally as it caused me to format shots that were more in line with what we all expect to see in a railroad shot.

Also, when I was a newbie, I had some goals that I wanted to establish on RP, such as number of shots in the DB, reaching 10,000 views with a shot, getting a top 2 of 24 etc.

My reason for doing that was totally based on my competitive nature, and the fact that RP screening was such a game - and I only had 2 uploads a day.

Now a number of years later, and having realized those goals, the allure of the chase has warn off, so I just don't have the want to waste time fiddling.

Additionally, people know who I am in other venues now, so the need to have a major presence on RP is not critical. (Most of my referrals come from Flickr photos now.)

In my opinion, RP is good for beginners and I am not going to leave, but I now understand why professional photogs like Steve Crise have so few uploads - it is just too much trouble and too time consuming.

Also, somewhere along the way in my quest for RP grandure, I lost sight of my personal expression and substituted the cookie cutter methodology that RP has become known for - in essence, I became a robot.

Sure, I got photos accepted, some of them I was even proud of, but most were just the same old stuff, nothing special, or in any way creative.

I eventually found myself shooting things in the field they way I thought they would be accepted. I also found that I was processing and cropping to second guess the screeners.

So, I have taken a new attitude about all this and moved on.

Sure I will continue to post here, but I am not going to waste any more time fiddling with stuff.

kszok 04-19-2014 06:44 PM

I've been submitting images to RP since April 2004 (back when there were no limits on uploads per day). Even then it was hit or miss, but not as quirky as it is today. I also post on flickr where I have a variety of photos that I like to share with my contacts or any others who happen to stop by and take a look.

Photography is something I enjoy and keep working at. Some day I might even be good at it, but its not my profession. It's my hobby. I have gotten tired of the RP screening game, but it does mean that I won't be submitting images to RP. The site has its place and offers exposure to a specific audience. If a shot gets rejected, I will take into consideration the reason for the rejection and decide if I agree or not. I rarely appeal a rejection from RP. I shoot what I like and share what I think is worth sharing, mostly on flickr now.

Harry Gaydosz 04-19-2014 09:40 PM

If I post a shot here and it's accepted, great.

If it isn't, and it's due to something I didn't see when I edited, great.

If it's not accepted, and it's due to the subjected view of the screener, and I like the shot I'm done. I've came to the point that I don't care enough about having my shots on here to alter something I personally like.

JimThias 04-19-2014 10:05 PM

Good thread. I've now picked up two more excellent photographers to follow on flickr. :-)

Holloran Grade 04-20-2014 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 177783)
Good thread. I've now picked up two more excellent photographers to follow on flickr. :-)

Troy?:shock:

JRMDC 04-20-2014 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 177783)

Coincidentally, I've had a few followers pop in on my flickr.

Ron Flanary 04-20-2014 02:58 AM

I guess I'll have to start my Flickr account soon. Another project....sigh.

CSX1702 04-20-2014 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Flanary (Post 177787)

Let us know when Ron!

JRMDC 04-20-2014 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Flanary (Post 177787)

You seem to be doing well enough on facebook. My selfish preferences are that you spend your time doing more scanning and processing. :)

Although it would be nice to have a Ron archive; facebook is terrible at that stuff.

nikos1 04-20-2014 05:21 AM

Quote:

Considering that the common thread that brings us all together is that we all take pictures of choo choo trains, it is amazing the egos you encounter in this hobby. I know this because I have a huge one. The thing with egos, is they cause you to completely lose perspective on things. The mass migration of the "good" photographers over to Flickr is because their ego can't take that a few of their shots they thought were great were rejected from this site because the screener on this site didn't think it fit what the site was going for. Here's a thought: Since when do ALL your good shots HAVE to be on RP? Or if they aren't, you're taking your ball and going to Flickr? You know the standards. You know what shots fit and which ones toe the line. If the borderline one gets rejected, so what? Post it to Flickr. Why deny uploading the RP acceptable one because the borderline ones aren't making it?

The thing that really amazes me is after badmouthing RP, in the very next breath, they'll say that they use RP for researching photo trips. That annoys me. You'll use my shots to research trips and find great angles, but you won't chip in a small handful of shots per year to contribute? I met a photographer once who went off on RP, and yet seemed to have good knowledge of a great number of shots I'd posted there. Why not throw up a couple shots? Think of the photographers that left. What if each one of them posted 1 shot per month. Just one. Doesn't have to be this revolutionary, boundary pushing shot. There would be a noticeable increase in image quality in the daily uploads.

Ego may be part of it, but seeing as the reason many of us post is just to share with friends and other people who might find the shots interesting, why go to the trouble to uploading shots, filling out caption and info only for it to be rejected several times where I can go to Flickr and upload as many as I want? I can screen myself better than the inconsistent screeners at RP can. The inconsistency has gotten absurd, example from today: out of focus, grainy, poor image quality, cloudy common. Accepted [photoid=478429]

Distracting shadows, bad comp, obstructing objects, Accepted [photoid=478333]

Cloudy, overexposed, bad contast, but ermagherd hurtage. Accepted:
[photoid=478396]

Last time I bothered uploading to RP....
Unlevel
https://www.flickr.com/photos/12662164@N00/13573002805/
Bad Comp
https://www.flickr.com/photos/12662164@N00/13573127383/
Bad Crop
https://www.flickr.com/photos/12662164@N00/13416215005/
None of these I would consider borderline (maybe the glint shot)

I dont owe RP anymore than I do google for their maps, RP is just another tool among many to find photo locations. Kind of hard to chip in when you are given two slots a day and even those arnt guaranteed to be accepted.

CSX1702 04-20-2014 07:50 AM

Personally, I think RP is the best site on the web. Whenever I pick up the camera, the only thing I am thinking is, "How can I take a RP wedgie?" There is no greater achievement in my life than getting a picture accepted onto RP. For every picture that gets accepted, I hold a party in the screeners' honor. And when I get a picture rejected, I go into a deep depression for several months and don't recover until I get a wedgie of a heritage unit on.

That's Chapter One of my new autobiography titled, "How Railpictures.net Changed my Life."

mark woody 04-20-2014 08:08 AM

Hey Ant, whats up with the sky between the 2 poles behind the last loco?

[photoid=478429]

Ron Flanary 04-20-2014 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSX1702 (Post 177795)
Personally, I think RP is the best site on the web. Whenever I pick up the camera, the only thing I am thinking is, "How can I take a RP wedgie?" There is no greater achievement in my life than getting a picture accepted onto RP. For every picture that gets accepted, I hold a party in the screeners' honor. And when I get a picture rejected, I go into a deep depression for several months and don't recover until I get a wedgie of a heritage unit on.

That's Chapter One of my new autobiography titled, "How Railpictures.net Changed my Life."

I started posting images to Rail Pictures to meet and pick up women. So far, it's not working...

Ron Flanary 04-20-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 177789)
You seem to be doing well enough on facebook. My selfish preferences are that you spend your time doing more scanning and processing. :)

Although it would be nice to have a Ron archive; facebook is terrible at that stuff.

Well....I started posting stuff on Facebook when my wife said, "...if you want to put things on FB, start your own account!..." So, I did. It's fun, and I do enjoy it. Also (as you know) I cover my interests other than trains (such as music).

FB is handy to send messages to folks (who apparently would rather stay on line there rather than e-mail), plus I am truly interested in what my other friends are doing or saying.

I've also managed to minimize those who want to rant about their political views (the worst), religion (which I feel should be private and personal) or their shitty attitude about this or that. I want to see things that make me smile or even get a little emotional. And yes....trains can certainly do that too.

No rap against RP.net, but I can't get any of that off this site!