RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   PEQ Thoughts, Explanations, and so forth. (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13155)

IHapsias 11-27-2010 05:06 PM

PEQ Thoughts, Explanations, and so forth.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=231300438

So, I'm in a little rut here. What are your opinions on the PEQ? Too little contrast, etc. ?

coborn35 11-27-2010 05:14 PM

Tracks at the bottom do nothing for me.

IHapsias 11-27-2010 05:35 PM

Gotcha.. I'll re-crop it here..

IHapsias 11-27-2010 06:08 PM

PEQ Again

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...14&key=8870507

Re-cropped it and still got the PEQ, anything else that needs fixing?

jnohallman 11-27-2010 06:12 PM

While you can try recropping it, I doubt that will solve the issue. The rejects was PEQ, not bad cropping. From an RP perspective, I'm guessing that among other things they don't like the fact the the engine appears to be headed away from the viewer, that you have the chain link fence and gate in the foreground, and that there appears to be a tower growing out of the cab of the engine. On top of that, there's a fair amount of noise in the clouds. Now, having said all that, I think it's kind of a neat picture, and if you were doing a shoot on industrial railroading for a magazine article, it could work. I just don't think it's going to fit what RP wants.

Jon

IHapsias 11-27-2010 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnohallman (Post 125481)
While you can try recropping it, I doubt that will solve the issue. The rejects was PEQ, not bad cropping. From an RP perspective, I'm guessing that among other things they don't like the fact the the engine appears to be headed away from the viewer, that you have the chain link fence and gate in the foreground, and that there appears to be a tower growing out of the cab of the engine. On top of that, there's a fair amount of noise in the clouds. Now, having said all that, I think it's kind of a neat picture, and if you were doing a shoot on industrial railroading for a magazine article, it could work. I just don't think it's going to fit what RP wants.

Jon

All right thanks. As for noise, how could I get high amount of noise for ISO 80? I'll put it into my personal file. Thanks for your help.

jnohallman 11-27-2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHapsias (Post 125482)
As for noise, how could I get high amount of noise for ISO 80?

If you get too aggressive with sharpening, it can introduce noise into the photo. If you look at the second reject, notice how the overhead lines, especially the lowest one, look jagged. That's a good indication that you've oversharpened things.

Jon

IHapsias 11-27-2010 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnohallman (Post 125483)
If you get too aggressive with sharpening, it can introduce noise into the photo. If you look at the second reject, notice how the overhead lines, especially the lowest one, look jagged. That's a good indication that you've oversharpened things.

Jon

I never knew that, thanks for that bit of advice!

troy12n 11-27-2010 06:46 PM

It's unlevel too

IHapsias 11-27-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 125486)
It's unlevel too

what looks unlevel to you? I straightened it, but I might have made a mistake.

LSRC Railfan 11-27-2010 08:01 PM

Just a question, but why did you convert it to black and white?

crazytiger 11-27-2010 08:18 PM

Just saying, this picture does zippo for me, and I think the screener agreed, giving the PEQ.

troy12n 11-27-2010 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHapsias (Post 125491)
what looks unlevel to you? I straightened it, but I might have made a mistake.

Well, after looking at it much closer, there are to many things going in different directions to even suggest which way to correct.

I was leaning about .5 CW based on the "beam" thing, the gate and the block wall of the building in the foreground.

But after making that correction, the main building was off and the tracks in the foreground looked worse.

So disregard. I agree that it's not terribly interesting, but I have seen much worse get on.

LSRC Railfan 11-27-2010 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's what I think you could do to make this scene "better." Per my attachment, I think that if you put the locomotive in the red circled area, got rid of some of the area on the left, added a little bit to the right, made it horizontal, and kept it with color that the photo stands a better chance of being accepted. Did you shoot some frames horizontal?

Joe the Photog 11-27-2010 09:46 PM

If the train had kept backing up, it would have worked, though there may be some cropping issues to discuss. It reminds me a little of this one from one of my favorite RP photogs --

[photoid=222164]

cblaz 11-27-2010 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSRC Railfan (Post 125493)

In addition to that, why vertical as well? There's nothing of interest at the top (sky) or bottom (asphalt).

- Chris

milwman 11-28-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cblaz (Post 125505)
In addition to that, why vertical as well? There's nothing of interest at the top (sky) or bottom (asphalt).

- Chris

Something to think about Ian, Go to a more standard shot before getting so artsy if you want to get photos on here. Most on here want to see the locomotive and you have it going away and hidden by cars and thats the PEQ.

IHapsias 11-28-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSRC Railfan (Post 125493)

Camera wasn't working with me in color, and was coming out bright; so I made it B&W from the getgo. It was a mistake.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazytiger (Post 125494)
Just saying, this picture does zippo for me, and I think the screener agreed, giving the PEQ.

Thats fine.

IHapsias 11-28-2010 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LSRC Railfan (Post 125499)
Here's what I think you could do to make this scene "better." Per my attachment, I think that if you put the locomotive in the red circled area, got rid of some of the area on the left, added a little bit to the right, made it horizontal, and kept it with color that the photo stands a better chance of being accepted. Did you shoot some frames horizontal?

I will check, I have some horizontal's but their iffy..

Quote:

Originally Posted by cblaz (Post 125505)

- Chris

I was shooting through a space between chain link fences; so I was limited. Vertical was the best thing I could really do.

IHapsias 11-28-2010 02:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another frame of mine.. Opinions?

LSRC Railfan 11-28-2010 03:42 PM

Much better. RP still might nab it for 'going away", but at least it's a better edit. I know that you're doing the best that you can with that shot, but I still think you should reshoot it horizontal if possible.

milwman 11-28-2010 04:24 PM

Crop it and show us.

IHapsias 11-29-2010 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milwman (Post 125525)
Crop it and show us.

I don't understand what you mean..

stlgevo51 11-29-2010 02:25 AM

I would crop off the bottom pavement and the top until the top of the building. Then post it ON THE FORUMS and see what everyone says.

milwman 11-29-2010 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHapsias (Post 125587)
I don't understand what you mean..

Show us what your going to do before you send it in.