RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   U.S. Class 1 Railroad Discussion (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   2 light questions (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2530)

dodi4200 09-21-2005 07:01 PM

2 light questions

1 Attachment(s)
hi all my friends
i have 2 questions for UP locos.
1) in this pic
[photoid=119656]
i wanna to know what are these2 red signs that is hanged into the nose of the second loco from the right?
2) for the pic that i will attach what is the relation between the union pacific EMD SD60M and the cars of METRA company why this loco pull these cars?what about locos of metra company? and what is this yellow unit in the end of the train?

hoydie17 09-21-2005 07:13 PM

On the first, I could be wrong, but I believe they are "NO SMOKING" signs, as you'll notice what appears to be a fuel truck. Probably because of the vapors in the air from the fuel. Just a guess though.

2nd, no real solid answer for that one, but most likely METRA was short of power for one reason or another, and was able to "borrow" an engine from UP to power this commuter train. And actually, that engine is an SD90/43MAC.

StL-rail 09-21-2005 07:42 PM

For the first, these are probably "Men at Work" or "Men Working" signs, but possibly no smoking since that is a fuel truck, also it could be a sign saying not to move that locomotive. For the second one, it probably isn't a case of metra being power short, their cars have HEP for power and heat/air, a UP freight locomotive does not have either the HEP generator, or the HEP recepticals for the power cables. Also, this doesn't look like Metra territory. This is most likely a shipment of these cars, whether from the manufacturer to the railroad, or from the railroad to someplace to be resold, rebuilt, or simply stored. We had a shipment like this come through St. Louis not too long ago, cars from a commuter RR were being shipped to storage or something. Hope that helped.

hoydie17 09-21-2005 07:48 PM

UP units don't have HEP? I'm not surprised, but I know some of the CSX AC4400's and SD70MACs have HEP units, and also some of the NS stuff does as well. I don't know if it's for their OCS operations or some other purpose.

StL-rail 09-21-2005 07:54 PM

In UP's business trainset, if you look closely, you'll notice that 1 or 2 of the car that look like "baggage" cars are actually equipped with their own HEP generators for powering the train. This allows any UP locomotive, whether units from their standard fleet, or from their "historical collection" (ie: their E units, or DDA40X), to pull a UP excursion, or business outing. This also helps with not having to install extra equipment on the steam locomotives as well.

hoydie17 09-21-2005 08:00 PM

Fascinating, I did not know that. Thanks!

Cyclonetrain 09-22-2005 03:07 AM

Those Metra cars (ex-CNW Smoothsides, built by Budd in the 40's-60's) were sold to another commuter railroad in California (Caltrain?). I belive also that UP stuck a buisness/observation car at the end.

J 09-22-2005 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoydie17
On the first, I could be wrong, but I believe they are "NO SMOKING" signs, as you'll notice what appears to be a fuel truck. Probably because of the vapors in the air from the fuel. Just a guess though.

2nd, no real solid answer for that one, but most likely METRA was short of power for one reason or another, and was able to "borrow" an engine from UP to power this commuter train. And actually, that engine is an SD90/43MAC.

Blue signals are a railroad practice (subsequently made into a federal rule) that protect railroad employees on or about locomotives or cars from unexpected movement. A railroad employee must not move the equipment until the employee who placed the blue signal removes it. Since a fueling contractor is not a "Railroad employee," UP uses a red sign rather than the blue sign.

As new gallery cars come into service, old METRA gallery cars have been bought by various parities. A large number are in storage in Milwaukee and this may simply be a movement of the surplus cars.