RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Any Chance? (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13147)

JimThias 11-30-2010 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lost bouy (Post 125663)
Uploaded the photo and go hit with a suspected "- Bad Cropping: Most often this means that the composition of the photo is poor as it relates the cropping of the image." Anything I can do?

You cut off the train and signal bridge which were fully visible in the original composition. Why did you do that?

lost bouy 11-30-2010 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHapsias (Post 125666)
What are the dimensions?

The dimensions are 768x807.

lost bouy 11-30-2010 01:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 125684)
You cut off the train and signal bridge which were fully visible in the original composition. Why did you do that?

To get the road and sidewalk out of the shot.

Are you thinking something like this?

IHapsias 11-30-2010 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lost bouy (Post 125689)
The dimensions are 768x807.

1024x<b>768</b> is what ya want for horizontal.

Train-a-Mania 11-30-2010 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lost bouy (Post 125690)

In that shot, I would crop more of the sky to make the image more landscape-oriented (a.k.a. horizontal crop).

JimThias 11-30-2010 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHapsias (Post 125696)
1024x<b>768</b> is what ya want for horizontal.

Yes, what Haspias said.

:lol: I just wanted to spell your name wrong once. ;-)

JimThias 11-30-2010 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lost bouy (Post 125690)

Ok, after further review, I think you should just set this shot aside, go back to that location and try again. The more I look at it, the more the water tower in the background becomes a distraction. Since it's a common wedgie, you should try to create a composition that is as perfect as possible. But that I mean, no foreground obstructions (the sign) and nothing growing out of the top of the loco (the water tower), and nothing cut off in the corner (the road).

You may need to take a few more steps back and to the left from where you were standing to pull of a successful wedgie from this location without any of the distracting elements that are in this shot. Wait for the lead loco to both clear the sign AND the water tower in the back. And if you were backed up a way, the water tower wouldn't even be a factor at that point. OR...you could walk across the street and incorporate the lines of the street in the foreground of the composition (maybe if you could get some height, like on a step ladder, capture the train with a car passing by in the foreground).

Holloran Grade 11-30-2010 09:25 PM

I Like Signs.

Clone out the water tower.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 125526)
.....[omitted]....And it really perplexes me why a photographer would wait until the sign is blocking the lead engine to take a shot when you have WIDE OPEN section of track just before the sign. Can someone explain the logic to me?

Because the sign places the image geographically as would a certain bridge, or a station sign or mountain.

[photoid=347096]

Admittedly, mile post signs can be a bit more esoteric than buildings or bridges, but it does allow the viewer to instantly know where the photo was shot without looking at the caption.

[photoid=295253] [photoid=302302] [photoid=311284]

At least that is why I include signs and MPs when I find them.

I would have composed the subject image differently to diminish the silhouette, but I don't think the inclusion of the sign is a detractor.

JimThias 12-01-2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 125765)
Because the sign places the image geographically as would a certain bridge, or a station sign or mountain.

Admittedly, mile post signs can be a bit more esoteric than buildings or bridges, but it does allow the viewer to instantly know where the photo was shot without looking at the caption.

You COMPLETELY missed the point of my post. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17...s/facepalm.gif

Holloran Grade 12-01-2010 06:12 AM

I Stand Corrected.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 125789)
You COMPLETELY missed the point of my post. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17...s/facepalm.gif

Wow, I sure did.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 125705)
....[omitted].... Since it's a common wedgie, you should try to create a composition that is as perfect as possible. ....[omitted]....

Next time I think you should "BOLD" such important information.:lol:

I suppose in the true spirit of this forum I should now ignore the above error and continue to argue my infirm position vigorously and insult Troy in the process.

jnohallman 12-01-2010 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 125837)
I suppose in the true spirit of this forum I should now insult Troy.

:lol::lol::lol:

We're waiting! ;-)

Jon

JRMDC 12-01-2010 12:02 PM

Post deleted.

JimThias 12-01-2010 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 125837)
Wow, I sure did.

I like signs too, but my point was that the photographer should have captured the train before the sign was in front of the nose, especially since he had so much wide open space before the sign. The fact that he waited until the sign was in front of the loco is perplexing to me, and probably should have received an "obstruction" rejection (and a facepalm by the screener, if that was possible. :lol: )

Holloran Grade 12-01-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 125848)
I like signs too, but my point was that the photographer should have captured the train before the sign was in front of the nose, especially since he had so much wide open space before the sign. The fact that he waited until the sign was in front of the loco is perplexing to me, and probably should have received an "obstruction" rejection (and a facepalm by the screener, if that was possible. :lol: )

I suspect it was a lack of planning or the AF messed up on the frame before and the frame after.

Might also be where it is easy to park the car.

I would agree though, the image presented is not the best possible composition at that point.

Greg P 12-02-2010 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 125705)
Ok, after further review, I think you should just set this shot aside, go back to that location and try again.

I second this just so he can see if the thing is still in the tree and try to figure out what it is.

lost bouy 12-12-2010 01:45 PM

What about this one?

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5007/...94867254a8.jpg
Amtrak 92 at Apex, NC in the Snow by Lost Bouy, on Flickr

bigbassloyd 12-12-2010 02:55 PM

it's dark, and there's power lines everywhere. I'd pass on it.

EDIT - after clicking the viewing the full size version - the image quality is horrible, and it's way out of focus. Certainly put this one away.

Loyd L.

trainboysd40 12-12-2010 04:00 PM

It's not dark, it's contrasty and moody!

Holloran Grade 12-12-2010 06:15 PM

Evey thing Loyd said, and clone out that gas main marker or whatever it is on the left side foreground.;)

Joe the Photog 12-12-2010 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 126397)
... and clone out that gas main marker or whatever it is on the left side foreground.;)

That was actually the first thing I noticed.

Holloran Grade 12-12-2010 06:43 PM

Your Other Photos

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe the Photog (Post 126398)
That was actually the first thing I noticed.

Figured.

Lost Bouy - I looked at your Flickr page and you really need to look around at what is in front of you and off to the sides.

Many of your images have distracting poles and signs and shadows in them.

Normally that is not a problem except that you are attempting to post stuff on this Site and here it won't be accepted.

Part of shooting good images at any given spot is planning.

Figure out where you want to photograph the train at and then look around for trees and poles and wires and shadows and other things that will make the shot distracting.

Also make sure you are standing in a place where you will get the right light on the nose of the engine and no shadow on the side of the train.;)

The light issue takes the most planing and sometimes it is down right frustrating because nothing will come by when you have the right light, and then the floodgates will open when the light is gone.

I just got a shot a few weeks ago at a spot where I have been trying to get a specific angle at for about three years. (Granted I took my time.)

[photoid=346965]

[photoid=347094]

Joe the Photog 12-12-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 126399)
Lost Bouy - I looked at your Flickr page and you really need to look around at what is in front of you and off to the sides.

Many of your images have distracting poles and signs and shadows in them.

A prime example of that is right here --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4502547...n/photostream/

A car parked hap hazzardly. That's part of the planning even if you're not driving. Either ask the driver to park elsewhere or shoot differently. Also, the car is partially blocking the crossing signals. Next you're shooting wide, maybe to get the dude in the shot, maybe just because. But he's in the shadows with the trees as a backdrop. The composition as is adds nothing to the shot. It also puts the train way over to the left for no real reason. Then there's the pipe thingie in the shot sticking up close to the edge of the train. Haphazzard.

troy12n 12-12-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe the Photog (Post 126400)
A prime example of that is right here --

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4502547...n/photostream/

A car parked hap hazzardly. That's part of the planning even if you're not driving. Either ask the driver to park elsewhere or shoot differently. Also, the car is partially blocking the crossing signals. Next you're shooting wide, maybe to get the dude in the shot, maybe just because. But he's in the shadows with the trees as a backdrop. The composition as is adds nothing to the shot. It also puts the train way over to the left for no real reason. Then there's the pipe thingie in the shot sticking up close to the edge of the train. Haphazzard.

That's part of the problem with Folkston. It's a victim of it's own popularity and stuff like this happens so often that I have written the place off (as far as photography goes). It's terrible for photography anyway, good light is just about impossible, decent light has a very small window and it's not a very photogenic location AT ALL. That said, it's a great place to sit back and enjoy watching trains go by. And you always get a good mix of old and new railfans making for a good social mix. The city also does a good job to promote the place, the cops know their place and the locals embrace it.

It's also a place where egos collide and as someone who likes to fan the flames, it can be quite a good time for me during some of the planned events there.

lost bouy 12-12-2010 10:47 PM

You can see my lack of planning killed this shot. Has a shot like this ever got onto the site? I'm guessing no.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5088/...70457c89c4.jpg
NS 154 at Salisbury, NC by Lost Bouy, on Flickr

And this?

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5047/...3fb76e90f4.jpg
NS 135 at Salisbury, NC by Lost Bouy, on Flickr

Holloran Grade 12-12-2010 10:59 PM

The second one "could" make it.