RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Composition with 4 track signal bridge (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17825)

Joseph Cermak 11-14-2016 01:48 PM

Composition with 4 track signal bridge

Have this shot at CP 8 (4 track conrail signal bridge) rejected for too loose of a composition. What should I be doing differently? It seems to be if I make it any tighter the signal bridge itself will be against the edges of the frame. Thanks for any thoughts.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...51&key=6694406

conrail1990 11-14-2016 02:39 PM

The cabinet on the right needs to go bye bye.

Joseph Cermak 11-14-2016 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conrail1990 (Post 189834)
The cabinet on the right needs to go bye bye.

Should I take off the bottom when I do that as well?

John West 11-14-2016 10:00 PM

Here's a quick and dirty alternative

1 Attachment(s)
I used the lens correction tool to fix the perspective problem, cropped it more tightly, lightened and increased the contrast on the dark side of the train, darkened the sky a bit, and increased over all contrast a bit. Seems okay to me, but as noted it is a quick and dirty job. FWIW.

Joseph Cermak 11-15-2016 12:21 AM

Thanks for the help
[photoid=596157]

Got another composition one I'm not sure what to do with:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...37&key=9600508

Decapod401 11-15-2016 12:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
For your new submission, something like this should better satisfy the screeners.

Attachment 9295

On the previous (signal bridge) image, is there a reason that you didn't shoot from the other side of the tracks? The light would have been batter, and the composition would have been more natural, IMO.

Doug Lilly

Joseph Cermak 11-15-2016 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decapod401 (Post 189838)
On the previous (signal bridge) image, is there a reason that you didn't shoot from the other side of the tracks? The light would have been batter, and the composition would have been more natural, IMO.

I was actually leaving this location for the day and was about halfway down the grade towards the road in the background when we heard this blow for the crossing before this so we turned around and sprinted down to get the shot under the singal bridge. We didn't think it was safe to try and cross the tracks as we barely made it before the train did as it was (defect detector said speed of 57 mph)I think the resulting shot is still pretty decent.

miningcamper1 11-15-2016 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decapod401 (Post 189838)
For your new submission, something like this should better satisfy the screeners.

Attachment 9295

A nice enough picture. But it's common power (GE's seemingly eternal cab design) in Norfolk Southern's tired, seemingly eternal paint scheme, in a blah location that could be anywhere.

Joseph Cermak 11-15-2016 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 189841)
A nice enough picture. But it's common power (GE's seemingly eternal cab design) in Norfolk Southern's tired, seemingly eternal paint scheme, in a blah location that could be anywhere.

I know many disagree it seems, but I don't think how rare something is should be the determining factor of a photo. Plus I work at GE so I love the GE wide cabs :-D

Decapod401 11-15-2016 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 189841)

That's a big reason why I no longer feel motivated to shoot dozens of photos every weekend.

troy12n 11-15-2016 01:44 PM

Lighting is not favorable for getting acceptance on RP

Also boring, common angle at uninteresting location

Decapod401 11-15-2016 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak (Post 189842)
I know many disagree it seems, but I don't think how rare something is should be the determining factor of a photo. Plus I work at GE so I love the GE wide cabs :-D

Fair enough. Miningcamper's comment about location is valid, however. Distinguishing background scenery, buildings, signals, bridges, or other props will make a photo like this one have much more appeal. The photo is fresh in your mind, and you're still connected to it, but years from now, absent location data, you will look at photos like this and wonder where they are.

JRMDC 11-15-2016 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak (Post 189842)

It is a determining factor in RP acceptance, however. Specifically, it determines whether or not other flaws (in the eyes of RP screeners) are overlooked. Here, the sun hid behind a cloud and the shot is not destined for RP because it has nothing to offer to override that flaw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 189844)
Lighting is not favorable for getting acceptance on RP

Also boring, common angle at uninteresting location

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decapod401 (Post 189846)
Fair enough. Miningcamper's comment about location is valid, however. Distinguishing background scenery, buildings, signals, bridges, or other props will make a photo like this one have much more appeal. The photo is fresh in your mind, and you're still connected to it, but years from now, absent location data, you will look at photos like this and wonder where they are.

Miningcanmper's/Decapod's words are of great value in thinking about the long run.

Joseph Cermak 11-15-2016 03:03 PM

Interesting, as the last time I shared this photo (on other sites) I got several comments on how I lucked out getting that sucker hole for sun on the train...

JRMDC 11-15-2016 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak (Post 189848)
Interesting, as the last time I shared this photo (on other sites) I got several comments on how I lucked out getting that sucker hole for sun on the train...

Then it's bad processing? Looks like there is a bit of sun on the first two hoppers. Not full sun, but the sort of sun one gets when the clouds are thinner in one area but don't actually form a gap. Or that's where the gap is, but by the time you get to the engines there is some cloud filtering going on, not total by any means.

John West 11-16-2016 06:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak (Post 189837)
Got another composition one I'm not sure what to do with:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...37&key=9600508

The main thing I don't like about this one is the landscape obscures the running gear on the cars. My version increases the superelevation lean a bit to make it a bit more dramatic, pumps up the sky, and adds quite a bit of contrast. FWIW.

Joseph Cermak 11-16-2016 01:29 PM

Any thoughts on this? I've got some room on all sides. I cropped it like it is to show the entire train as it's a short local while placing the nose of the lead unit at a ROT intersection.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...70&key=4195345

Decapod401 11-16-2016 01:54 PM

From a composition standpoint, I would pan to the left such that the last car and the engine are equidistant from the edges of the frame (balance).

The bigger issue here is the harsh lighting, especially he glare on the number board. You can possibly make this a little better by significantly lowering the white level in LR, then bumping up the contrast if necessary. That should help minimize the harshness, but that glare will still be a big distraction.

JRMDC 11-16-2016 03:46 PM

You filled 1/3 of the frame with plain blue sky. It's "empty space" and in this sort of a scene is undesirable. Different choice if you see puffy clouds.

troy12n 11-16-2016 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 189856)
You filled 1/3 of the frame with plain blue sky. It's "empty space" and in this sort of a scene is undesirable. Different choice if you see puffy clouds.

agreed, plus the glare on the numberboard and huge swath of shadow makes this completely undesirable