RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Top shot (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18334)

Joseph Cermak 05-13-2020 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe the Photog (Post 196547)
So it seems like some of you folks wish there was a bottom shot of the day along with th top shot. I never understood the problem you folks have with linking shots to Facebook. I always thought the goal was for people to actually SEE your work, but maybe I am wrong.

I'm honestly more in agreement with you here on this. I enjoy taking these photos with the goal of being able to share them with others. I can see both sides on the linking discussion, but personally I don't even know how they do it. I used to post links on my FB page, but the insights showed I'd only get maybe 80-100 link clicks on a given post, so I have no idea how they get these "thousands of linked views."

Mike Wilson 05-13-2020 05:46 PM

Quote:

So it seems like some of you folks wish there was a bottom shot of the day along with th top shot. I never understood the problem you folks have with linking shots to Facebook. I always thought the goal was for people to actually SEE your work, but maybe I am wrong.

I surely don't disagree with getting your shots noticed Joe. In fact, that's part of the reason why I have a Facebook page for posting my stuff without the hassle of screeners.

Frankly I too can see both sides of the argument although like others have mentioned I have no idea how the views work nor do I really care. I think its a bit ridiculous to lose sleep over it. If people are interested in your work they'll see it especially when you have it spread over multiple forums such as this page, Flickr, Facebook and Instagram. Furthermore, I've seen some of the concerned party's work linked to Facebook presumably without their knowledge so we've probably accidentally taken advantage of linking from time to time. :-)

Grewup on the CW 05-13-2020 06:10 PM

Quote:

I'm not looking for a bottom shot of the day for sure. I post my pics here on RP because its a Railroad website and that is the crowd/feed back I want and am trying to reach. I also post here for preserving RR history. I dont use FB or any other social media and what I have seen of FB from family and friends is that there is no way to search for stuff. To me FB is a site about "Me" and then you get people to follow you and take interest in "me". So naturally they see you post a pic, click and say oh cool or whatever... the Pic is not about the subject but more about who took it. When I signed up to RP, I used a handle rather than my real name as I wanted people to appreciate the photo content for what it was and not the person that took it. The other problem with FB or other social links is - I dont believe that crowd (FB example) is actually taking the time to view the rest of the photo's here on RP. With that said the "True" numbers are distorted in terms of actual RP views, which is the crowd I am trying to reach. If I wanted more people to see "My" work, then I would go more public with it and then its not about the subject matter but rather the photographer. So while linking it may be a way for RP to pay the bills, I still would like to see the view feature they disabled, enabled again. Then we would all know what we wanted to know and move on to other subjects to discuss here on the forums.

miningcamper1 05-13-2020 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Wilson (Post 196549)
...we've probably accidentally taken advantage of linking from time to time. :-)

True!
Some of mine are on Pinterest. How many? Don't know. Who posted them there? No idea!
As long as the credit line is intact, I'm OK with it.

Decapod401 05-14-2020 02:54 AM

Quote:

I think that you totally miss the point here. First, the screening process, in theory, should weed out the "bottom" shots, leaving the rest in a daily photo contest, as it has been characterized multiple times in these forums. Nobody wants to be in a contest that allows certain players to bring their own judges.

WRT Facebook, I don't use it, but as I understand it, one can post photos directly on the site. If that's the case, why do certain people habitually link to RP? The photos are still being seen on Facebook by the same people who are clicking on the links, so no more people are SEEING the work.

Decapod401 05-14-2020 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 196551)
True!
Some of mine are on Pinterest. How many? Don't know. Who posted them there? No idea!
As long as the credit line is intact, I'm OK with it.

My wife has pointed out several of mine on Pinterest as well. I don't know any of the posters, but my byline is there as well.

RobJor 05-14-2020 12:02 PM

As an example I just posted a RP ink of a 1971 photo to a local Chicago FB Group. This is 3 years after RP's.

1) It was easier than digging out the original scan and provides a better quality image
2) It is 3 years after the original RP post
3) the link on FB is well sized so only a few will actually click the link
4) If I get a hundred click that would be large, certainly not thousands

The owner used it as the banner which he rotates every few days but that is not a link

Bob

bbrant 05-14-2020 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW (Post 196536)
Ditto Kevin. How about it admin? This has been a discussion on here many a times. Make your money but filter the linked shot count out of the To24. Is that possible??

They screening process is shoddy and inconsistent. I wouldn't hold out hope for a reliable way of filtering the social media campaigns. If anything, I'd like to see a "block" type button to prevent having to see some people's photos implemented.

Joseph Cermak 05-14-2020 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbrant (Post 196562)
They screening process is shoddy and inconsistent. I wouldn't hold out hope for a reliable way of filtering the social media campaigns. If anything, I'd like to see a "block" type button to prevent having to see some people's photos implemented.

I would really hope RP is one of the few sites left that doesn't have so much drama and BS that there's really people who feel the need to block another photographer......

KevinM 05-14-2020 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak (Post 196563)
I would really hope RP is one of the few sites left that doesn't have so much drama and BS that there's really people who feel the need to block another photographer......

Agreed. I'm not sure what purpose that would serve. The BS and drama you describe are just two of the many reasons why I don't have a Facebook account.

Grewup on the CW 05-14-2020 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinM (Post 196564)
Agreed. I'm not sure what purpose that would serve. The BS and drama you describe are just two of the many reasons why I don't have a Facebook account.

My sentiments exactly and after working on a computer 10-12 hours a day, wasting more time staring at another screen is the last thing I want to do.

RobJor 05-14-2020 03:48 PM

I think missing point of FB groups. First if one has jerks, then just leave it. In Chicago area we have several good groups. Some are younger new fans, there are railroaders and guys who have been taking photos for years.

On Wisconsin and Southern group I can post a photo and the engineer will follow up or the conductor, not at all unusual. When you post there there is a real personal interest of people who work, who railfan there also. There is an Iowa Interstate group of really great people some of whom I have met. There are daily updates of operation. Chicago Railfan group has a wide variety, there was a post of the Blackhawk arriving at Oregon IL in 1964(he used to post here) and next a photo of a CN train yesterday. Yea, some of the photos are not that great but I don't care.

I started out trackside as a kid watching the Milwaukee and Soo at place called B-12 in Franklin Park. Some had little kodak cameras or none at all. So we watched and rode when we had a few dollars it wasn't about great photos. So today the photography is part of the hobby for me but not the only thing. The groups are just another part of the hobby.
Bob

Grewup on the CW 05-14-2020 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobJor (Post 196566)
I think missing.....

I started out trackside as a kid watching the Milwaukee and Soo at place called B-12 in Franklin Park. Some had little kodak cameras or none at all. So we watched and rode when we had a few dollars it wasn't about great photos. So today the photography is part of the hobby for me but not the only thing. The groups are just another part of the hobby.
Bob

Riding the rails with my pops and uncle whether on a loco or the hi rail truck during summer breaks when I was a kid was the spark that ignited my passion for the CW and RR's in general and most of the time it was without a camera ( unfortunately) but I still have those memories and I can relate to what your saying here about getting out there track side.

vcode455 05-14-2020 05:04 PM

I will often post my photos to FB after I post them here, but I never link them because there is no reason to unless I want to pad my numbers. I don't like linking but I don't know that there is anything we can do. It is just disheartening to have 15 or 20 people favorite your image only to be blown away by someone who repeatedly get 10X the views and only 3 or 4 favorites.

That said, FB does have a place for RR photos. The is a lot of really cool old stuff coming out of the woodwork. It may not be RRPics worthy, but it is cool, and in many cases, extremely rare. It is surprising how many shots there are on lines that have been gone 50 years or more. In most cases you have to be a member to post. There have been a few cases of members taking photos from this site and reposting them as their own, but the moderators are usually pretty good about kicking those people off their page. But like I said, there is some really cool stuff out there.....

RobJor 05-14-2020 05:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As I mentioned the link provides a better quality image with all the information. I do link a lot less than just posting the photo. On this one group a photo appeared on a Group of the Eldson yard in 1983 with a comment on the roundhouse. Sorry but my filing of scans leaves a lot to be desired so I quickly found what I wanted and posted to show turntable and roundhouse. I was done in a couple of minutes and did not have to type all the details.

On another note what we see with people referenced is probably some intentional methods to manipulate the system to gain large numbers of view. I just don't believe you are going to get a huge number of view simply by linking to some groups. There is some secondary linking or manipulation??

bob

One I linked from 1971 and one I did not even try here from a few days ago at West Chicgo.

[photoid=574393]

miningcamper1 05-14-2020 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobJor (Post 196569)
I just don't believe you are going to get a huge number of view simply by linking to some groups. There is some secondary linking or manipulation??

Is it possible they have found some way to generate views by automation? :confused:

bigbassloyd 05-14-2020 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobJor (Post 196569)
I just don't believe you are going to get a huge number of view simply by linking to some groups.

You've already forgotten when RP used to throw a linked photo of note onto their facebook group once every couple weeks... It happened to one of my photos and it went from accepted to TO24 in 2 hours.

So yes Bob, linking to a group(s) can boost you into that realm very quickly...

Loyd L.

KevinM 05-14-2020 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 196570)
Is it possible they have found some way to generate views by automation? :confused:

I know of at least one situation in which a prominent RP contributor apparently did create some sort of view generation program to boost his view-counts. He did get caught, and Admin publicly outed the individual here on the forums. Given the generally excellent quality of the person's submissions, it just knocked me off my chair that he felt it necessary to do such a thing.

This is why I would favor some sort of process by which all of the self-promotional games could be filtered out of the To24 process. Count only RP-generated views toward To24.....or use RP-generated favorites to determine who gets home page exposure. The latter would be difficult, because favorites are much harder to earn than views, and at any one time, there are likely more than 4-way ties for most favorites in 24 hrs.

Mgoldman 05-18-2020 11:34 PM

Quote:

I never understood the problem you folks have with linking shots to Facebook. I always thought the goal was for people to actually SEE your work, but maybe I am wrong.

This coming from someone with NO photos on the site. Yes, Joe - you are wrong. No one has a problem with linking shots to FB to share. The issue is with people linking their shots to boost their views ON THE SAME DAY THEY SUBMIT their image for the SOLE purpose of making the front page. If you boost your image views just enough to make top of last 24, even if it's only by one view, the front page takes care of the rest.

A lot of people don't bother to view photos that are not on the front page. So to be SEEN vs be searched, the front page is the route to go.

It was nice, once upon a time on RP, to post a good shot and have it be seen by more than 350 people if it was in fact, a really great photo - WITHOUT having to campaign it.

Allow linking, subtract the links for Top of Last 24 Hour slots. After all, that was the point of admin eliminating the "Top shot of the Day" which tallied counts from midnight, to "Top shot of the Last 24 Hours".

/Mitch

PS - What happened to the handful of image you did have on RP?

PSS - I agree with "CW". FB is a "me" site. You're lucky if you can ever find a photo you saw after 48 hours passes. RP is a nice post and done searchable database without the "me, me, me" FB strategy of finding the insane need to post not only to FB, but to a dozen or more "pages" within the site itself.

JimThias 05-19-2020 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 196571)
You've already forgotten when RP used to throw a linked photo of note onto their facebook group once every couple weeks.

They still do.

bigbassloyd 05-19-2020 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 196588)
They still do.

May 14th, April 9th, Feb 14th, and Jan 21st doesn't constitute every couple weeks even with my sub-par West Virginian mathimacation. :D

Loyd L.

bigbassloyd 05-19-2020 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldman (Post 196587)
This coming from someone with NO photos on the site. Yes, Joe - you are wrong. No one has a problem with linking shots to FB to share. The issue is with people linking their shots to boost their views ON THE SAME DAY THEY SUBMIT their image for the SOLE purpose of making the front page. If you boost your image views just enough to make top of last 24, even if it's only by one view, the front page takes care of the rest.

A lot of people don't bother to view photos that are not on the front page. So to be SEEN vs be searched, the front page is the route to go.

It was nice, once upon a time on RP, to post a good shot and have it be seen by more than 350 people if it was in fact, a really great photo - WITHOUT having to campaign it.

Allow linking, subtract the links for Top of Last 24 Hour slots. After all, that was the point of admin eliminating the "Top shot of the Day" which tallied counts from midnight, to "Top shot of the Last 24 Hours".

/Mitch

I like the way you type.

Loyd L.

Decapod401 05-21-2020 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 196591)
I like the way you type.

Loyd L.

Is that a Sam Kinison reference?

bigbassloyd 05-23-2020 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decapod401 (Post 196602)
Is that a Sam Kinison reference?

Not purposely, but he was one heck of a funny guy.

Loyd L.

Decapod401 05-24-2020 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 196612)
Not purposely, but he was one heck of a funny guy.

Loyd L.

Here is the scene that I was thinking of. Thought you adapted one of the final lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9DO26O6dIg

Joe the Photog 05-25-2020 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcode455 (Post 196447)
A blah shot of a SW1500 beating out the iconic 1983 NRHS triple decker shot at Richmond. What has this world come to?

I would say most railfans have seen that triple decker shot at Richmond before, FWIW.

TedG 05-25-2020 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decapod401 (Post 196614)
Here is the scene that I was thinking of. Thought you adapted one of the final lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9DO26O6dIg

Good answer. Good answer.
/Ted

vcode455 05-27-2020 03:39 PM

Joe, Most railfans have seen an SW pulling a train as well. I had never seen the Richmond shot in daylight. Point is, if I had posted the SW shot, I would have been lucky to get 10% of the views because I don't link my shots. Simple as that....

Decapod401 05-27-2020 04:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldman (Post 196587)
This coming from someone with NO photos on the site.
PS - What happened to the handful of image you did have on RP?

I too find it curious that someone who wants to be seen has become invisible.

Mgoldman 05-28-2020 08:53 AM

Said it once before, in lieu of not tallying linked image views for "Top of the Last 24" - why not limit "Top of the Last 24" to 1 hour? That way RP won't have a single image occupying the front page for 18 hours.... granted, the next "Top of Last 24" will no longer have a shot at hours of viewer generated highlighting on the front page, yet a lot more "Top Shots" as determined by viewer interest will get seen.

And RP still provides an incentive for those who don't think their image is good enough to make the front page to... still make the front page! If but for an hour.

/Mitch

JimThias 05-28-2020 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 196590)
May 14th, April 9th, Feb 14th, and Jan 21st doesn't constitute every couple weeks even with my sub-par West Virginian mathimacation. :D

Loyd L.

:lol: I don't pay attention THAT much. But I do see their posts pop up from time to time, and with FB's weird random *(insert word I can't think of right now), I guess I just figured they were posting every day. And since I've never actually visited the RP FB page, I don't know how often they post.

*when I can think of the word, I'll come back and edit my post.

bigbassloyd 05-28-2020 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 196642)
*(insert word I can't think of right now)

*when I can think of the word, I'll come back and edit my post.

Algorithm? :D

Loyd L.

Decapod401 05-31-2020 02:43 AM

As I post this, a shot featuring an SD70ACU that appears to be only slightly longer than a Centennial unit has been linked well past an SC that should be on its way to the #1 spot. I don't understand why admin would want a campaigned shop to surpass an image that has received recognition from its own staff as being of superior quality.

KevinM 05-31-2020 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decapod401 (Post 196651)
I don't understand why admin would want a campaigned shop to surpass an image that has received recognition from its own staff as being of superior quality.

One of the great mysteries of our times, my friend! :-)

Freericks 05-31-2020 05:06 AM

I've been mostly gone from these forums for five years. Good to see this exact same conversation is still going on. :-)

RobJor 05-31-2020 05:49 AM

Quote:

As I post this, a shot featuring an SD70ACU that appears to be only slightly longer than a Centennial unit has been linked well past an SC that should be on its way to the #1 spot. I don't understand why admin would want a campaigned shop to surpass an image that has received recognition from its own staff as being of superior quality.

Well there are just some photos that have legs. A little reminder of that 70's show railfan wise.

Bob

miningcamper1 05-31-2020 05:57 AM

Quote:

As I post this, a shot featuring an SD70ACU that appears to be only slightly longer than a Centennial unit has been linked well past an SC that should be on its way to the #1 spot.

Just for fun (of course!) I made a horizontally-compressed version of that photo. The result is almost square and looks surprisingly good.

bigbassloyd 05-31-2020 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freericks (Post 196653)
I've been mostly gone from these forums for five years. Good to see this exact same conversation is still going on. :-)

The conversations were always better with you in them. Your vocabulary is superior to a WV mud eater like myself. :D I'm better looking, and taller though.

Loyd L.

vcode455 06-02-2020 09:17 PM

Geez, 10 Screeners choices near Lombard Canyon in the past 3 years. Is that the only scenic place on earth?

Daniel SIMON 06-03-2020 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcode455 (Post 196662)
Geez, 10 Screeners choices near Lombard Canyon in the past 3 years. Is that the only scenic place on earth?

Same place and ...... same photographer !!! :smile: