RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Composition, suggestions? (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17956)

StL-rail 06-10-2017 07:50 PM

Composition, suggestions?

I thought it looked pretty good, I do have one more with the train further into the frame, but I feel it takes away from the station. Thoughts?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...74&key=5378355

Joseph Cermak 06-11-2017 01:46 AM

Can we see your other frame? I think one with the train closer would be better as long as it's not too close.

John West 06-11-2017 03:24 AM

Not a bad composition but I would have rejected it for being over sharpened. I agree with Joe that closer would be better, so long as it is not to close. The basic problem is I don't find the station all that interesting, but that is just me.

miningcamper1 06-11-2017 04:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
To put it another way, you didn't use one of these:

Mberry 06-11-2017 02:00 PM

I think if you have a frame with the lead unit up to the end of the awning that would work better, especially for rp.

MassArt Images 06-11-2017 07:35 PM

You probably framed that just for RP and now RP puts the composition dagger in you. How cruel. With the next re-submission the knife will be twisted. Good Luck!

Pkwlsn 06-11-2017 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mberry (Post 191496)
I think if you have a frame with the lead unit up to the end of the awning that would work better, especially for rp.

That would put the engine smack dab in the center of the frame though. I feel like that'd be a more awkward composition than the current one. However; I've never been able to figure out the ideal composition for trains at stations.

miningcamper1 06-11-2017 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pkwlsn (Post 191498)
That would put the engine smack dab in the center of the frame though. I feel like that'd be a more awkward composition than the current one. However; I've never been able to figure out the ideal composition for trains at stations.

I looked through the "database" for some sort of rule, but the rule seems to be "no rule".
How different is Mitch's from the OP rejected? Train right in front can get in as well. Sometimes no train is the ticket to success.

[photoid=619610] [photoid=616446] [photoid=616542]

wds 06-12-2017 12:43 AM

Everybody's focusing on the position of the train in the composition but my biggest problem with it is the inclusion of the front half of a chopped-off car with a dumpster behind it and that green electrical cabinet. Perhaps as others have said a later frame might work but if you decide to try that maybe crop that stuff out. I don't think showing the whole station is more important than excluding the aesthetic blemishes. I'd crop just a bit to the right of the chimney or the roof ventilator. The sign on the platform canopy is sufficient to identify location.

miningcamper1 06-12-2017 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wds (Post 191500)
Everybody's focusing on the position of the train in the composition but my biggest problem with it is the inclusion of the front half of a chopped-off car with a dumpster behind it and that green electrical cabinet. Perhaps as others have said a later frame might work but if you decide to try that maybe crop that stuff out. I don't think showing the whole station is more important than excluding the aesthetic blemishes. I'd crop just a bit to the right of the chimney or the roof ventilator. The sign on the platform canopy is sufficient to identify location.

To me, the worst crime against photographic aesthetics on this site is the enormous watermarks they facilitate. So I didn't even notice the green box.
Your suggestion has merit. Cropping that out also gets rid of the car and brings the train into compliance with the Commandment of Thirds. :-)