RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Keep me in your thoughts (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8755)

Joe the Photog 12-12-2008 03:43 PM

Keep me in your thoughts

WIS just laid me and six other poor sods off tis week as part of their ongoing budget cuts. Please keep me and my family in your thoughts and prayers as we hopefully transition out of this.

Meanwhile, I note that they still have their helicopter, which costs 800 dollars just to start up, never mind the maintenance, the fullt time pilot, the..... yeah, I'm bitter.

And if you know a railroad that needs a full time photog..... yeah, right.

Joe

Ween 12-12-2008 03:49 PM

Sorry, Joe.

JRMDC 12-12-2008 06:04 PM

Good luck with the job search, Joe, sorry to hear it.

JimThias 12-12-2008 06:40 PM

Sorry to hear that, Joe. Keep your head up and good luck with your job search.

TheRoadForeman 12-12-2008 09:05 PM

Joe,
We'll all keep you in our thoughts! Just remember what Churchill said to the Brits, "Never give up the good fight". That is what all of us Americans are doing. Joe, don't give up brother!!

-- Kevin

bigbassloyd 12-12-2008 09:45 PM

I'm truly sorry to hear that Joe. Just remember that for every door closed, another one opens. Best of luck with the job search!

Loyd L.

J Douglas Moore 12-12-2008 10:18 PM

Hang in man........... Adversity only makes us stronger...... I just pray none of us get too much "strenghening". Good luck.

Save The Wave 12-12-2008 10:31 PM

Sorry to hear this Joe. I suffered a similar fate in August 2001. Looking back, it's the best thing that could have happened as it got me out of a rut.
Keep your head up and ears open, opportunities are out there.

ottergoose 12-12-2008 10:58 PM

Damn. Sorry to hear that Joe.

The small company (25 or so employees) that I work for has canned three people... the rest of us are pretty nervous.

Best of luck to you.

Mike B. 12-12-2008 11:32 PM

Best of luck to you, Joe. What a crappy time to let you go.

mark woody 12-13-2008 12:57 AM

Sorry to hear this news Joe all the best wishes for a speedi solution and i am sure everyone on this side of the pacific wish you,your family and all railfans on Site a merry christmas and a better new year. Thanks for your photos we will keep you and anyone else in this situation in our thoughts,because there but for the grace of god go I.

Mgoldman 12-13-2008 01:16 AM

Hey Joe,

Very sorry to hear that and I wish you the best in your search for another job. I have to agree with the corny sayings above - there is a reason they are still around and repeated. Times are tough, even where I work, there have been layoffs, the first in the history of our company. We hope to have them back if /when the economy turns. New president, new year - let's keep our fingers crossed. Otherwise, maybe you can show us the way.

/Mitch

DelmonteX 12-13-2008 04:58 AM

Sorry for the bad news Joe. It happens to most of us at one time or another. This time of year is especially hard. I'll join in the chorus and encourage you to hang in there, it will get better.

Wizzo 12-13-2008 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
WIS just laid me and six other poor sods off tis week as part of their ongoing budget cuts. Please keep me and my family in your thoughts and prayers as we hopefully transition out of this.

Meanwhile, I note that they still have their helicopter, which costs 800 dollars just to start up, never mind the maintenance, the fullt time pilot, the..... yeah, I'm bitter.

And if you know a railroad that needs a full time photog..... yeah, right.

Joe

I hope it works out OK Joe - hang in there. I know how it feels having had it happen to me 3 times in the last 12 years - and things aren't looking too rosy at our place either

Chris Kilroy 12-13-2008 09:47 PM

Very sorry to hear, Joe. You and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Callufrax 12-13-2008 11:45 PM

Sorry to hear that, Joe. I wish you all the best. Hopefully it will be a blessing, rather than a curse.

ccaranna 12-14-2008 12:03 AM

Joe, best of luck. Hang in there.

Sincerely,

Chuck

BarrySr 12-14-2008 02:29 PM

Joe, I don't know you, but I am very sorry to hear that this has happened to you.

I'm not going to say I know how you feel, because only you know that. But I have been in your situation many times over my working career, and I know it is aggravating, and it hurts that a company you've given so much to seemingly does not care.

I will tell you that EVERY time that it has happened to me, I ended up with a better career/opportunity than I had before. Every time.

From experience, one thing you need to do though, is immerse yourself, almost relentlessly, in a hobby, interest, or pastime when you are not looking at other opportunities. It will take the edge off your disappointment and keep your mind positively sharpened with a PMA (positive mental attitude).

Sorry for the long-windedness; I just hate to see people, even those I don't know, go through tough times that were not their choosing.

Hang in there, bud!

BarrySr
Kingwood, TX

Walter S 12-14-2008 03:53 PM

Good luck Joe with finding a new job. I will refrain from watching WIS now when in the area.

LSRC Railfan 12-14-2008 10:00 PM

Sorry to hear that Joe. I will be keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Have you checked if the L&C has need for anybody?

Mark Rosnick 12-14-2008 10:44 PM

Sorry to hear about that Joe. I know you told me before that you wanted to get into the newspaper business, but around here the Patriot News in Harrisburg is "buying" off all long term employees to save $. Best of luck in the future , and I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.
Mark

ken45 12-15-2008 03:53 AM

That's a tough break Joe, and I wish you the best in quickly landing on your feet with another, better job.

willig 12-21-2008 03:37 PM

I'm just adding that you are in my thought and prayers Joe.

I'm only glad that I'm retired (with a bit of consultancy on the side). Life must be tough these days in the world of jobs, keep your chin up.

Remember that the best guys come out OK in the end and I reckon you're one of them.

MichaelJ 12-25-2008 06:46 AM

Good luck, Joe. I'm sure you'll find another job your enjoy just as much soon! Take care!

jnohallman 01-02-2009 12:18 AM

Sorry to hear the news. Here's hoping that the new year brings with it new opportunities and a good new job!

Jon