RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Too Soft? You decide (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12499)

wheelnrail 07-12-2010 08:50 PM

Too Soft? You decide
 
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1264850833

Looks perfectly fine too me. But, how can i furthermore sharpen it?

bigbassloyd 07-12-2010 08:53 PM

it does look soft, but it's also quite jagged, and pixelated. Looks like the jpeg was over abused and edited / saved multiple times maybe?

Loyd L.

Chase55671 07-12-2010 08:54 PM

It is soft. The number boards, handrails, logo, etc. are all lacking sharpness. Most post processing software enables the photographer to sharpen the image.

What software are you using?

Chase

wheelnrail 07-12-2010 09:01 PM

Is software you probably never heard of, it's called, ib. It came with my Olympus camera. Other then that, i have Microsoft Picture Manager.

Now before you say Photoshop, i cant afford it.

And yes i did save it multiple times in the same JPEG. that was my bad.

troy12n 07-12-2010 09:10 PM

It's soft, not full nose light, cropping could be better, is a tad unlevel, is oversaturated. I could go on I guess...

Greg P 07-12-2010 09:32 PM

A trick I use is to zoom in on the numbers. They should be pretty sharp for the first few zooms.

You can get a 30 day trial of Adobe Photoshop Elements, and it's only about 70 or 80 dollars for a copy.

bigbassloyd 07-12-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelnrail (Post 117618)
Is software you probably never heard of, it's called, ib. It came with my Olympus camera. Other then that, i have Microsoft Picture Manager.

Now before you say Photoshop, i cant afford it.

And yes i did save it multiple times in the same JPEG. that was my bad.

Don't sweat not having photoshop. I used IRfanview exclusively for well over a year, and had plenty of accepted photos. Then I used Raw Therapee, and IRfanview together for another full year. Now I have an ancient version of Photoshop that I use some, but still rely on RT and IR too. I think I have an adequate photo stream on RP using the free programs.

I rarely shoot RAW, so the key for me is getting it close to right in camera.

Loyd L.

cblaz 07-13-2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 117630)
I rarely shoot RAW, so the key for me is getting it close to right in camera.

Same reason I don't shoot RAW, I get the shot right in the camera. Also, the advice from Greg about Photoshop Elements is dead on. It can do just about everything you need to post on RP for a reasonable price.

- Chris

Joe the Photog 07-13-2010 06:56 PM

The others have spoken on the image itself. Don't worry about not having Adobe Photoshop. I don't have it either, but it's little brother, Adobe Photoshop Elements, does the job really nicely for me.

Also, if you work on this image some, how about looking up the UP reporting marks and putting them in with the road number like almost everyone else?

JimThias 07-13-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cblaz (Post 117698)
Same reason I don't shoot RAW, I get the shot right in the camera.

So your camera can capture the same dynamic range of light as the human eye? Interesting. ;-)

ottergoose 07-13-2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cblaz (Post 117698)
Same reason I don't shoot RAW, I get the shot right in the camera.

Same reason I drive without a seatbelt and disabled air bags; I get the drive right the first time! :roll:

I actually (not sarcastically) believe PSE is the way to go... between Adobe Camera Raw and Elements, you can process 99% of your shots without any trouble.

Chase55671 07-13-2010 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cblaz (Post 117698)
Same reason I don't shoot RAW, I get the shot right in the camera. Also, the advice from Greg about Photoshop Elements is dead on. It can do just about everything you need to post on RP for a reasonable price.

- Chris

It's not a matter of getting the shot right in the camera, but instead, capturing the most detail and I feel RAW does a better job of that than JPEG.

Chase

Joe the Photog 07-13-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cblaz (Post 117698)
Same reason I don't shoot RAW, I get the shot right in the camera.

Wow. I wish I had never mucked up a shot and that I always got in right in camera. That's really impressive of you! Even so, RAW still seems like a smart choice for magazine submissions, archiving or just plain having it later down the road in case you realize there's other reasons to shoot RAW.

Of course, what do I know? Sometimes I don't get it right in camera.

:lol:

JRMDC 07-13-2010 07:40 PM

Another raw vs. jpg debate! Hooray!

I'm sure there will be lots of new arguments that have not appeared in previous editions of this conversation. :)

JimThias 07-14-2010 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 117709)
Another raw vs. jpg debate! Hooray!

It's time to PUNT this topic! :lol: :twisted:

bigbassloyd 07-14-2010 12:16 AM

I like jpeg because saying "I shoot RAW" in public could be offensive..

Loyd L.

JRMDC 07-14-2010 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 117729)
It's time to PUNT this topic! :lol: :twisted:

Propel Unseemly Nauseating Thread?

Jim, one never knows with you.

Chase55671 07-14-2010 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 117730)
I like jpeg because saying "I shoot RAW" in public could be offensive..

Loyd L.

Also saying you like to "do it in the dark" could come over as being offensive. :lol:

Chase

EMTRailfan 07-14-2010 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelnrail (Post 117618)
Is software you probably never heard of, it's called, ib. It came with my Olympus camera. Other then that, i have Microsoft Picture Manager.

Now before you say Photoshop, i cant afford it.

And yes i did save it multiple times in the same JPEG. that was my bad.

Gimp.org is another freebie download.

JimThias 07-14-2010 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 117731)
Propel Unseemly Nauseating Thread?

Jim, one never knows with you.

:lol: http://bestsmileys.com/drinking/17.gif


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.