RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Thank you Railpictures.net and members (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12583)

baggydave 07-30-2010 10:30 PM

Thank you Railpictures.net and members

I have to say a big thank you to everyone involved in this site as I found out this week that a picture I posted on here a couple of months ago has made its way into the Canadian Pacific calendar for 2011.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=323946
Because of the nice things members had said about it, CPR emailed me and suggested that I should enter it for the competition that apparently they hold every year. Coming from England I knew nothing about this so I gratefully took up the opportunity and sent them a copy. Well thanks to you all it made it and thank you again. I only wish that I could come over and do some serious railfanning rather than the hit and miss stuff that I do when I come over. Maybe I will get the chance in October when,hopefully I travel to California for a couple of weeks of photography. Only trouble is your National Parks are so great I spend a lot of time in them as well to the detriment of my rail passion.

ottergoose 07-30-2010 11:03 PM

Congrats! They'll be publishing one of mine as well:

[photoid=289326]

Looks like they're going with less traditional stuff this year.

crazytiger 07-31-2010 12:27 AM

What RRs do this? Just CP? If I were to try to get some stuff published where should I look?

mwtstormchaser 07-31-2010 01:38 AM

The Wisconsin & Southern Railroad usually has a contest for their calendar every year, their deadline to submit pictures for the 2011 calendar is August 1st.

ottergoose 07-31-2010 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazytiger (Post 118664)
What RRs do this? Just CP? If I were to try to get some stuff published where should I look?

I'm sure there are others, but, CP, UP, BNSF, CSX, MRL and TTX all publish calendars; BNSF's material comes exclusively from employees, all of the others accept shots from the public. McMillan also solicits work for their calendars. I'd guess all of the deadlines have passed for 2011, but you can certainly be shooting with 2012 in mind.

jnohallman 07-31-2010 01:46 PM

Amtrak also does a contest.

Jon

DWHonan 07-31-2010 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnohallman (Post 118676)
Amtrak also does a contest.

Jon

Last time I checked Amtrak's contest policy, they required assignment of copyright for winning photos.

crazytiger 07-31-2010 06:05 PM

I hope this shot was submitted to the WSOR contest:
[photoid=322215]

EMTRailfan 07-31-2010 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baggydave (Post 118658)
I have to say a big thank you to everyone involved in this site as I found out this week that a picture I posted on here a couple of months ago has made its way into the Canadian Pacific calendar for 2011.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=323946
Because of the nice things members had said about it, CPR emailed me and suggested that I should enter it for the competition that apparently they hold every year. Coming from England I knew nothing about this so I gratefully took up the opportunity and sent them a copy. Well thanks to you all it made it and thank you again. I only wish that I could come over and do some serious railfanning rather than the hit and miss stuff that I do when I come over. Maybe I will get the chance in October when,hopefully I travel to California for a couple of weeks of photography. Only trouble is your National Parks are so great I spend a lot of time in them as well to the detriment of my rail passion.

Congrats! I've never "submitted" anywhere other than here at RP, but I have a few published that the Editors contacted me, and have had a few authors contact me to ask if I have such and such location, etc. via RP for a few articles and books that are still works in progress.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ottergoose
I'm sure there are others, but, CP, UP, BNSF, CSX, MRL and TTX all publish calendars; BNSF's material comes exclusively from employees, all of the others accept shots from the public. McMillan also solicits work for their calendars. I'd guess all of the deadlines have passed for 2011, but you can certainly be shooting with 2012 in mind.

I'm 99% sure that the NS calendar is an employee only calendar too. I have a few that an NS friend gave me, and I recognized 6-8 names from here at RP that are employees. He said if I wanted to try to get a photo in the NS, that he would have to submit it, but then my name wouldn't be with the pic. Still deciding on that.

jnohallman 07-31-2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWHonan (Post 118687)
Last time I check Amtrak's contest policy, they required assignment of copyright for winning photos.

Oooh . . . that sucks. Not to mention the fact that you can't shoot the photos for their contest in any of their stations, for instance, because you might be a terrorist . . . :roll:

Jon

milwman 07-31-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnohallman (Post 118695)
Oooh . . . that sucks. Not to mention the fact that you can't shoot the photos for their contest in any of their stations, for instance, because you might be a terrorist . . . :roll:

Jon

Well, thats fine as they want scenery photos with AMTRAK train, Not FAN photo's. Look at what they publish.

travsirocz 08-01-2010 03:15 PM

Another photo for the 2011 CP calendar.
[photoid=271114]

Northern Limits 08-02-2010 02:49 AM

Bummer - that means they didn't accept any of my submissions :cry:

Congratulations on your acceptances!

Northern Limits 08-02-2010 04:10 PM

Mmmm, maybe I shouldn't have submitted this one :twisted:

[photoid=316645]

Chase55671 08-03-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Limits (Post 118777)
Mmmm, maybe I shouldn't have submitted this one :twisted:

[photoid=316645]

:lol::lol:

Chase