RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   A lack of communication.... and a lack of respect (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17097)

Mberry 05-22-2014 10:03 PM

A lack of communication.... and a lack of respect

As some of you may remember, I had a thread a few months back about problems i was having leveling a very off-kilter narrow gauge CN engine preserved at Exporail. I never got that shot accepted.

I reshot it this past weekend and submitted it (photo below) with a note saying I leveled with the building on the left and that the engine leans noticeably to the left. Rejected for horizon unlevel.

I appealed with a very detailed note, saying "I have submitted shots of this engine over 10 times and every screener has a different option on if it's level or not. I am of the opinion that it is level as is. Both the wall at the left and the station in the background are level. As I mentioned in my note to the screener, this engine leans VERY drastically to the left. If this appeal is rejected I would REALLY appreciate it if a note is included in the rejection telling me which way to level so that I stop wasting my time, the screeners time, and the appealing screeners time."

Today, the appeal was rejected.... with not a word said. I find this to be a prime example of the lack of communication between screeners and us photographers. It's also a lack of respect.

If any admins read this, please feel free to give your side of the story. I would also remind them yet again that I had a photo appeal accepted a week ago that is still not online.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2922/...9a3616da_c.jpgCN 805 at Exporail by Michael Berry Railfan, on Flickr

Mgoldman 05-22-2014 11:23 PM

http://images.classicalite.com/data/...-out.jpg?w=600

Chase55671 05-22-2014 11:28 PM

Michael,

Can you PM me the photo in which you appealed and was later accepted?

As for the photo here, I recommend loosening the crop and making a CW rotation.

Best,

troy12n 05-22-2014 11:32 PM

I really think you need to let that one go...

John West 05-23-2014 12:57 AM

As best as I can tell, your crop is pretty level, but the loco looks like it is leaning seriously. The result is a very "uncomfortable" or perhaps awkward image. If I am right about the lean ,not sure there is a fix. It is an interesting piece of equipment since 3'6" gauge was not common in North America, and the Newfie line is now gone. My suggestion would be to try to find a different angle that minimizes the visual affect of the lean. Broadside would do that, or perhaps there is a view from the opposite end. Even though the opposite end appears to be coupled to a car, it might make for a better picture and perhaps the historic nature of the unit would trump the aversion to wedgies with a car attached. Doesn't look like it is in a particularly photogenic location.

Chase55671 05-23-2014 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John West (Post 178826)
As best as I can tell, your crop is pretty level, but the loco looks like it is leaning seriously. The result is a very "uncomfortable" or perhaps awkward image. If I am right about the lean ,not sure there is a fix. It is an interesting piece of equipment since 3'6" gauge was not common in North America, and the Newfie line is now gone. My suggestion would be to try to find a different angle that minimizes the visual affect of the lean. Broadside would do that, or perhaps there is a view from the opposite end. Even though the opposite end appears to be coupled to a car, it might make for a better picture and perhaps the historic nature of the unit would trump the aversion to wedgies with a car attached. Doesn't look like it is in a particularly photogenic location.

Joh & Michael,

I'm in agreement with these comments. I think the angle is decent, but I think the crop of the final image may need adjusted to some extent? I think if we had less of a in-your-face composition, the lean may actually be more prominent, while also taking in more of the scene.

Chase

JimThias 05-23-2014 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase55671 (Post 178823)
As for the photo here, I recommend loosening the crop and making a CW rotation.

In his image above, the verticals on the building are leaning CW. He needs to straighten those CCW. The pole on the right in the background in leaning inward as well. Maybe some wide angle distortion correction is necessary. That's what stands out to me the most.

Holloran Grade 05-23-2014 01:47 AM

If I may.....

Y'all need to read between the lines - picture maybe level but because it looks awkward, they are not going to accept it.

Mberry 05-23-2014 01:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by John West (Post 178826)

It is definitely not in a photogenic location. And I don't think any angle would minimize the lean! I guess a broadside would, but another shed makes that impossible (the shadows from it at right). Here's a more 3/4, full crop view, but it's on the high sun side maybe.

Mberry 05-23-2014 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 178832)
If I may.....

Y'all need to read between the lines - picture maybe level but because it looks awkward, they are not going to accept it.

Fair enough, but then PEQ it.... preferably right away.

Holloran Grade 05-23-2014 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mberry (Post 178834)

Yes, that would be preferable, but it just seems there is no consensus on what constitutes a proper PEQ.

CSX1702 05-23-2014 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 178831)
In his image above, the verticals on the building are leaning CW. He needs to straighten those CCW. The pole on the right in the background in leaning inward as well. Maybe some wide angle distortion correction is necessary. That's what stands out to me the most.

I think that they should make you a part time screener and when they reject something for unlevel, it gets sent straight to you and you tell them what object to level to and which way. :twisted:

Freericks 05-23-2014 04:19 AM

I would go considerably wider in order to show it is leaning and not make the viewer feel like they are leaning.

Holloran Grade 05-23-2014 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freericks (Post 178839)
I would go considerably wider in order to show it is leaning and not make the viewer feel like they are leaning.

Hey, who is that in your Avatar?

Is that Ilene?:twisted:

Chase55671 05-23-2014 04:23 AM

Quote:

I feel like your avatar leans just as much as Michael's image in question. :confused:

Freericks 05-23-2014 04:30 AM

I'm dealing with neanderthals. http://ruleofthirdsphotography.com/d...e-photography/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 178840)
Hey, who is that in your Avatar?

Is that Ilene?:twisted:

Irene (hey you're the one who went there...).

Holloran Grade 05-23-2014 04:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You know, there is a very easy "fix" for this dilemma.

All the OP needs to do is "cut" the train out of the original photo and then re-paste it back into the background.

Attachment 8602

bigbassloyd 05-23-2014 02:39 PM

Quote:

I thought you had left us.

Loyd L.

Mr. Pick 05-23-2014 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chase55671 (Post 178841)
I feel like your avatar leans just as much as Michael's image in question. :confused:

He's actually leaning to the right in that picture...that's a first.....:wink:

Freericks 05-23-2014 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pick (Post 178853)

Optical illusion.

Holloran Grade 05-23-2014 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pick (Post 178853)

Ok, if you know Charles, that is humor.

And also fighting words.:evil:

Joe the Photog 05-24-2014 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mberry (Post 178834)

Oh, yeah. If they'd given you a PEQ, you would have no doubt thanked them and moved on.

:roll:

John West 05-24-2014 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe the Photog (Post 178864)
Oh, yeah. If they'd given you a PEQ, you would have no doubt thanked them and moved on.

I can think of a number of rejections that if the screener had simply said "I don't like this image" (PEQ) I would have been far happier than trying to figure out why a sharp image isn't sharp, and so on.

ACR_Ted 05-24-2014 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John West (Post 178866)
I can think of a number of rejections that if the screener had simply said "I don't like this image" (PEQ) I would have been far happier than trying to figure out why a sharp image isn't sharp, and so on.

I so agree John...especially with the 'unlevel' obsession they seem to have.

Ted

Mberry 05-24-2014 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe the Photog (Post 178864)

:roll:

I certainly wouldn't have submitted the same image 10 times or so with minor changes, no.