RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Appeal purgatory (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17129)

oltmannd 06-05-2014 07:14 PM

Appeal purgatory

How many years does one have to spend in appeal purgatory?

It's been a few years, now. Still don't have appeal privileges. Do you have to reapply or something?

I was going to appeal this one: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...87&key=6116100

Turntable stantion and nose of Amtrak unit seem to be prefectly vertical to me. Turntable would be most reliable vertical here, I would think.

Eugene 06-05-2014 07:24 PM

Don, this one definitely needs CCW rotation, the image is noticeably leaning to the right.

Eugene

magicman_841 06-05-2014 07:38 PM

Perhaps they took your appeal rights because you kept appealing technical rejections. :lol:

Mgoldman 06-05-2014 07:40 PM

I almost never appeal a technical rejection - just do what they ask, sometimes it's for the best, most of the times, the adjustment is so imperceptible, you'd be hard pressed to see the difference the next day.

It's the PEQ's and bad crops that are hard to deal with as they change the very nature of the image as YOU visualized it.

As for being banned from appeals - I'd suggest you seek out an application to become enrolled as a HVP (High Value Patron). Looking back at your incredible (this is why I browse RP) collection - I'd have assumed you were already a member.

/Mitch

oltmannd 06-05-2014 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicman_841 (Post 179454)
Perhaps they took your appeal rights because you kept appealing technical rejections. :lol:

Yeah, three or four years ago...

oltmannd 06-05-2014 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldman (Post 179455)
I almost never appeal a technical rejection - just do what they ask, sometimes it's for the best, most of the times, the adjustment is so imperceptible, you'd be hard pressed to see the difference the next day.

It's the PEQ's and bad crops that are hard to deal with as they change the very nature of the image as YOU visualized it.

As for being banned from appeals - I'd suggest you seek out an application to become enrolled as a HVP (High Value Patron). Looking back at your incredible (this is why I browse RP) collection - I'd have assumed you were already a member.

/Mitch

Thanks, Mitch!

I'm seeking an HVP application but not finding....is it on the site somewhere?

oltmannd 06-05-2014 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicman_841 (Post 179454)

Here's the scoop.

I used to get 10 uploads a day, too. I was grandfathered in. When I started scanning old slides in earnest and uploading several a day, I'd usually get about half accepted, then I'd appeal the ones I thought were pretty good as a matter of course, and about half of them would get in.

I did this for about four months without even a whimper.

I didn't know there was a penalty for appealing "too many" until one day I got cut down to two and my appeal privileged revoked. No warning. Just woke up one day and looked for it, and there it was! Gone. As Bob and Doug McKenzie might say...

And, thus it remains to this day.

oltmannd 06-05-2014 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eugene (Post 179453)
Don, this one definitely needs CCW rotation, the image is noticeably leaning to the right.

Eugene

I see it now, but, boy, it's a really tiny correction! I'll probably try it again tomorrow. If not, it's always available on my Flickr account.

baggydave 06-05-2014 10:21 PM

Same thing happened to me when I first joined. I thought the appeal procedure was to enable me to have an amicable discussion with the screener so as to reach a satisfactory conclusion, either they were right or I was. I appealed on shots which I thought were interesting but they must have got fed up with me as after a few weeks ..Bang... no appeal for me any more. That was 5 years ago. No-one has ever asked me back into the fold.
Also has there been no-one voting for PCA's this last fortnight? Seems to have been the same pictures for an eternity.

John West 06-05-2014 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oltmannd (Post 179465)
Here's the scoop.

I used to get 10 uploads a day, too. I was grandfathered in. When I started scanning old slides in earnest and uploading several a day, I'd usually get about half accepted, then I'd appeal the ones I thought were pretty good as a matter of course, and about half of them would get in.

I did this for about four months without even a whimper.

I didn't know there was a penalty for appealing "too many" until one day I got cut down to two and my appeal privileged revoked. No warning. Just woke up one day and looked for it, and there it was! Gone. As Bob and Doug McKenzie might say...

And, thus it remains to this day.

I looked through the pix you have on RP. You have some wonderful old stuff. Your appeal situation mystifies me, suspect you should email an admin, perhaps you have been lost between the cracks.

Yes, this image needs some rotation. It is kind of interesting because the need for rotation is very apparent to the naked eye, even though the amount of rotation is very small. Indeed, when I downloaded it to Photoshop and snapped a grid on it, my initial reaction was it looked "level". But upon closer examination the need for a slight rotation became apparent, and it all of a sudden the image looked "straight". We're kinda in Spencer Streamliner overload, but it is one of the better images and worth resubmitting.

NorthWest 06-06-2014 12:32 AM

I just looked through your work, and was amazed!

oltmannd 06-06-2014 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oltmannd (Post 179466)
I see it now, but, boy, it's a really tiny correction! I'll probably try it again tomorrow. If not, it's always available on my Flickr account.

I leveled it and punched it up a bit. We'll see what happens.

oltmannd 06-06-2014 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John West (Post 179473)
I looked through the pix you have on RP. You have some wonderful old stuff. Your appeal situation mystifies me, suspect you should email an admin, perhaps you have been lost between the cracks.

Yes, this image needs some rotation. It is kind of interesting because the need for rotation is very apparent to the naked eye, even though the amount of rotation is very small. Indeed, when I downloaded it to Photoshop and snapped a grid on it, my initial reaction was it looked "level". But upon closer examination the need for a slight rotation became apparent, and it all of a sudden the image looked "straight". We're kinda in Spencer Streamliner overload, but it is one of the better images and worth resubmitting.

I wrote them an email and asked for parole....

oltmannd 06-06-2014 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oltmannd (Post 179497)
I leveled it and punched it up a bit. We'll see what happens.

It's in

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=484546&nseq=2

But, the Amtrak loco is leaning a bit to the left. Maybe it's a political statement?

magicman_841 06-06-2014 03:56 PM

Sorry for being a smartass. ;-) A good rule of thumb is to never appeal technical rejections. In fact, if I were RP, I would remove the "Appeal" link for such rejections. Only stuff like PEQ and cropping should be appeal-able. This would save everyone a lot of time.

John West 06-06-2014 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oltmannd (Post 179499)
It's in

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=484546&nseq=2

But, the Amtrak loco is leaning a bit to the left. Maybe it's a political statement?

Congrats. A lot of conflicting verticals in that one, but I flipped a grid on it at least the Amtrak unit is "level", as far as I could tell. But all the units are probably leaning this way and that because the cross level of the track is most likely not perfect. So blame the roadmaster and the section gang for creating this challenge.

Ron Flanary 06-06-2014 06:22 PM

I'm not sure I would remove the appeal process for all technical issues. Here's an example from yesterday:

[photoid=484502]

When I first scanned this old slide, it appeared "level" to me. Sure, the tracks are level, but look at the trees, all of which are canted slightly to the left. Why? Because this train is dropping down a very steep grade, so if the shot were truly "level," the track would lean to the left about one to two degrees.

However...when I uploaded the shot, I decided to make the track dead level. And, it was accepted. But I don't think I was honest in doing this. Had I actually leveled the shot as it is in reality, I would have gotten a rejection. I would have appealed...the appeal would be turned down, and on and on.

So....Level is not always "level." How 'bout them cookies, Jim? :)

Mgoldman 06-06-2014 06:27 PM

Are you saying "Resistance is futile"?

Instantly looked unlevel to me - and that's coming FROM me.

/Mitch

JimThias 06-07-2014 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicman_841 (Post 179500)
Sorry for being a smartass. ;-) A good rule of thumb is to never appeal technical rejections. In fact, if I were RP, I would remove the "Appeal" link for such rejections. Only stuff like PEQ and cropping should be appeal-able. This would save everyone a lot of time.

The last appeal I submitted was for unlevel, and they ultimately agreed with me. Never say never.

Ron Flanary 06-07-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 179521)
The last appeal I submitted was for unlevel, and they ultimately agreed with me. Never say never.

Only a blithering idiot would dispute a leveling issue with you....

Ron Flanary--Resident Blithering Idiot

troy12n 06-07-2014 05:50 PM

Speaking of level, I struggled with this one, although they accepted it first try

[photoid=484624]

Mberry 06-07-2014 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Flanary (Post 179531)

Ron Flanary--Resident Blithering Idiot

Catchy title you have there. :-P:-P

John West 06-07-2014 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 179532)
Speaking of level, I struggled with this one, although they accepted it first try

[photoid=484624]

Judging from the shape of the water tower you must have done some perspective correction as well. Or is it really shaped that way. Beautiful colors, the colors on the B&O unit really make the image.

troy12n 06-07-2014 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John West (Post 179535)
Judging from the shape of the water tower you must have done some perspective correction as well. Or is it really shaped that way. Beautiful colors, the colors on the B&O unit really make the image.

Yea, I did perspective correction. Out of the camera iit didnt look quite right, even though I took it from a tripod have a bubble level I used, so it actually was level when I took it

It's a pseudo HDR image too

oltmannd 06-13-2014 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oltmannd (Post 179498)
I wrote them an email and asked for parole....

One week later...no response either way.