RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Fascinating..... (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16942)

Holloran Grade 02-22-2014 06:22 PM

Fascinating.....
 
This 1960s Jet Train Is Still America's Fastest Locomotive.

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19ga.../ku-xlarge.jpg


http://gizmodo.com/this-1960s-jet-tr...omo-1526862324

troy12n 02-22-2014 06:29 PM

bad cropping

Hatchetman 02-22-2014 06:43 PM

Hilarious. Check out the video at 8:45. Imagine how loud it would have been inside that thing!

Mgoldman 02-22-2014 09:12 PM

Good old fashioned American knewhow.

I have 3 Walthers Proto 2000 Budd RDC's and 3 Revell Convair B-36 jets but have yet to get around to building a prototype.

A model was available in both O gauge and N-gauge:

http://www.smarttinc.com/email/blog/...et-train-9.jpg

http://www.katousa.com/Kobo/images/E.../RDC-Jet-1.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/U8J94RxXaF0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Still.... the fastest PRODUCTION built set in service was... IS, the United Aircraft Turbo Train which set the still standing North American record at 170.8 mph at Princeton Junction, NJ. Way back on December 20th, 1967.

[photoid=142216]

/Mitch

MagnumForce 02-22-2014 09:56 PM

Kind of hard to base something that was completely a one off test train with anything else, even if it did go through my backyard so to speak.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8182/7...5cc77226_z.jpg
whoosh bryan by Brent Kneebush, on Flickr

Mgoldman 02-22-2014 11:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ah... memories of US high speed rail records. Just memories of still standing records set before most of us were born.

Nice shot - have you ever composed a shot that RP would take?

I have a shot of the record plaque that is INSIDE the station at Princeton Junction. Tried to post on RP but apparently it did not meet the high standards set by "the note".

Attachment 8456

/Mitch

MagnumForce 02-23-2014 12:28 AM

I honestly don't care that much about RP, so no, have never composed one they would take. It is a really cluttered image and on the north side I don't know what could really be done.

MagnumForce 02-23-2014 12:36 AM

This would probably be about as good as it gets. Shot is from a friend of mine.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4093/4...50d46a2c_z.jpg
NS8888SignBryanOH7-17-10 by railohio, on Flickr

Like I said, really cluttered.

MassArt Images 02-23-2014 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldman (Post 175848)
Ah... memories of US high speed rail records. Just memories of still standing records set before most of us were born.

Nice shot - have you ever composed a shot that RP would take?

I have a shot of the record plaque that is INSIDE the station at Princeton Junction. Tried to post on RP but apparently it did not meet the high standards set by "the note".

Attachment 8456

/Mitch

Geez, I would never make it as a screener. I think Brent's shot is great as it is..:lol:

Is that marker located by the Amtrak stop just off of Main St.?

Mgoldman 02-23-2014 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassArt Images (Post 175852)
I think Brent's shot is great as it is..:lol:

There's definite potential there -and I do like the blur.

Considering how little known the event and facts are, even just the plaque would seem appropriate for RP.

But until they start accepting stuff like this... on routine, instead of strictly on a whim -

[photoid=470698]

...I think a plaque shot would not stand a chance unless it could.


/Mitch

MagnumForce 02-23-2014 04:32 AM

Well, I uploaded it for giggles and grins, currently sitting in Screener Purgatory. Hope to see it in the bitchfest thread soon.

MagnumForce 02-23-2014 02:01 PM

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...30&key=8426907

K. Yes it is at the Amtrak Station. I guess the shot would be fine if the train was coming at me and the poles all were not there...

MassArt Images 02-23-2014 02:34 PM

I like it for the info on the plaque. If it's not to inconvenient for you, maybe a sunrise shot with a nice orange-ish sky and a slow shutter speed will do the trick. Of course the blur of a train would enhance it even further.

Then again you could just say F'it......why bother:roll:

Regarding Mitch's comments on the stenciled visor picture: I bet Ron just didn't submit the picture then go back and add the story after it was accepted; so I think it's safe to say that what was accepted was a story with a picture attached.

JimThias 02-23-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagnumForce (Post 175849)
I honestly don't care that much about RP, so no, have never composed one they would take. It is a really cluttered image and on the north side I don't know what could really be done.

How about not cutting the nose of the loco off? Looks like there is plenty of space to get the blur and still fit the motion-blurred nose in the frame.

MagnumForce 02-23-2014 04:41 PM

The station is at the cut off, all those wires coming together at the top there come to the station building not that I care anyway. You realize it is going away, right? Figured having space between the sign and the leader was more important. As I said, was merely because of this topic that I uploaded it, it's a couple year old shot.

I don't care about RP fame anyway just enjoy this forum mostly and upload to here very rarely. So I will not go back and re-shoot or re-edit or anything and don't even care to hear suggestions about it. There are two moving trains in that photo btw, the one on the far track arrived first and I absolutely hated the coming at me shot, just not balanced at all with all that crap then the westbound came and I was actually way happier with how it came out, especially from a balance perspective. I didn't think enough of the shot 2 years ago to upload it to RP and if not for this thread I still wouldn't.

Mgoldman 02-23-2014 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassArt Images (Post 175871)
I like it for the info on the plaque. If it's not to inconvenient for you, maybe a sunrise shot with a nice orange-ish sky and a slow shutter speed will do the trick. Of course the blur of a train would enhance it even further.

Then again you could just say F'it......why bother:roll:

Regarding Mitch's comments on the stenciled visor picture: I bet Ron just didn't submit the picture then go back and add the story after it was accepted; so I think it's safe to say that what was accepted was a story with a picture attached.

I had a detailed and well researched caption on a rejected shot at EBT of never before seen narrow gauge box cars (on RP, or practically the whole world wide web). The shot was rejected both before they were scrapped and after. So, while I disagree with your assumption and find merit in Bill's forum question titled "Do they really care", I certainly can agree that RP's actions often lead to good photographers (and preservationist) to conform to the notion you stated: "...you could just say F'it......why bother:roll:"

I didn't expect Brent's shot to be accepted - the pole is distracting and the train is cut off, but there seems to be some potential. I only suggested a plaque itself - that is, if he could get the same screener that Ron got.

/Mitch

MagnumForce 02-23-2014 05:49 PM

If all we ever cared about was getting a shot on RP I really doubt I or anyone else would ever shoot any version of a shot with that historical marker.

Mgoldman 02-23-2014 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagnumForce (Post 175886)
If all we ever cared about was getting a shot on RP I really doubt I or anyone else would ever shoot any version of a shot with that historical marker.

The question is why can't we expect someone to capture that shot for their own personal enjoyment AND post to RP? With such a large audience of rail enthusiasts, RP would seem the perfect medium as a railroad photo database to host such an image. For better and hardly for worse, I'd suspect that a very large percent of viewers and patrons use the site for research, reference and education. With wrecks, Darwin's, museums, moves and architecture, inclusion of an appealing version of your shot, or even the plaque alone would seem a natural. Or, patrons can take an ill advised hint and just go elsewhere - the wrecks and Darwin's will always he here.

/Mitch

bigbassloyd 02-23-2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldman (Post 175894)
The question is why can't we expect someone to capture that shot for their own personal enjoyment AND post to RP?

/Mitch

For the same reason I can't walk into Wendys and order a whopper?

Loyd L.

MagnumForce 02-23-2014 09:20 PM

But since I can have it my way I shoudl be able to walk into Burger King and order a baconator.

bigbassloyd 02-23-2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagnumForce (Post 175899)
But since I can have it my way I should be able to walk into Burger King and order a baconator.

I smell class action lawsuit for misleading advertising.

Loyd L.

Mgoldman 02-23-2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 175898)
For the same reason I can't walk into Wendys and order a whopper?

Loyd L.

"Have it your way", Loyd.

/Mitch

troy12n 02-23-2014 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagnumForce (Post 175899)
But since I can have it my way I shoudl be able to walk into Burger King and order a baconator.

Just shut the hell up and order an Angry Whopper instead...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...gaDueNG7eAqVzA
(yes, there is such a thing as an Angry Whopper)

MagnumForce 02-24-2014 01:33 AM

I love Angry Whoppers

Ron Flanary 02-24-2014 01:45 AM

As for the 95 MPH stenciling on the CSX F-unit visor...without reading the description, most viewers would immediately think: "....I don't get it." That's why I added something this to the comments section to the screeners:

"Before you pass judgement on this shot, read the description. Actually, I think it's rather cool."

And---so did whoever accepted the shot.

By the way...I thought the first Ohio speed sign shot was excellent. I remember NYC's M-497 very well. In a sense, the whole thing was a stunt, as there's no way you would ever see anything like that in actual service. The two front windows in the car's slanted nose were actually EMD numberboards from an F-unit. All that stuff was removed after the test (along with the jet engines), and the car went back into service.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.