RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How would one improve this shot? (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16565)

Elitewolf135 08-05-2013 04:46 PM

How would one improve this shot?

<strike>The area in which this bridge is located is not an ideal place to be at dusk, but I risked it and tried this anyways.
I assume getting more bridge into the shot would be ideal, there's also the option of possibly shooting it on the other side, where I'd be level with the river and would get the dock/boat lights more.</strike>
Idea Scratched, go with this instead -
Also grabbed this;
http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/1994...48644f5530.jpg

nikos1 08-05-2013 04:56 PM

There are 3 billion shots from that location on RP. Look at some of those and then look at yours and see where to improve. Scrap the first one, get wider on the second one, looks way too tight. Also your going to need a much longer exposure to bring out enough details to make it interesting, either that or shoot in the daytime.

Elitewolf135 08-05-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikos1 (Post 168982)
There are 3 billion shots from that location on RP. Look at some of those and then look at yours and see where to improve. Scrap the first one, get wider on the second one, looks way too tight. Also your going to need a much longer exposure to bring out enough details to make it interesting, either that or shoot in the daytime.

How long of an exposure though? I could throw it on Bulb mode and let it go wild but I wouldn't be sure how long to leave it open for.
I was just trying to do something unique with that overused shot.

Elitewolf135 08-05-2013 07:07 PM

More specifically, what details need to be captured more? The bridge? The boats? or just a mix of everything?
I looked up a guide, it recommends using an exposure of 30sec at F/16. I'm not sure if I should risk that (saying that in terms of will the headlights wash out the frame) or what I should use.
Then again, I was WAAAY overkilling the aperture at F/22.

nikos1 08-05-2013 07:36 PM

F/16?! Why in the hell? No wonder the shots are so dark, F8, F7.1 would work fine. The whole scene is too tight, try something more like this
[photoid=378261]

Alternatively a vertical shot consisting of just the right side of your image would work to highlight the headlights reflecting off the bridge girders which is the most interesting part for me. Maybe you should try and properly capture the scene in daylight first.

Elitewolf135 08-05-2013 08:07 PM

The guide said for traffic trails (pretty much what I'm doing here except with trains), said to use F/16 and 30". What I used was F/18 and 20". It was too fast as I had to crop it from the original frame.
I thought it was F/22, but I was wrong taking a double take at the EXIF provided here.

http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/cf2b...1d7cb3a3d9.png

I suppose F/8 wouldn't be bad after all.

http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/dcd0...4482a67767.png
I'd love to recreate something like that, with the train fully going through and more in the shot I'd assume.

The main issue I had doing this was composing the shot with the poles in mind. I want to get the docks in the frame, as I enjoy the effect on the river.
Trains have to go a little slower rounding that curve, so I need to leave the curtain open a bit longer. I'll make a quick trip out there within an hour or two and hopefully catch something. I'll only stay for one train though. It's bad even in daylight.

I'm dedicated to doing this. I'm trying to convince someone to take me there at 9 again. As I said, I'd much rather not be alone because my butt would be kicked for my camera in no time :).

Joe the Photog 08-05-2013 08:46 PM

The bridge doesn't really work for me in the right hand side of the frame. It needs to fill the frame -- even shot wider -- and go from the right side to the left side and out. In other words, the cameras should have been panned to the right.

The darkness issues were covered by those above me.

Elitewolf135 08-05-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe the Photog (Post 168995)
The bridge doesn't really work for me in the right hand side of the frame. It needs to fill the frame -- even shot wider -- and go from the right side to the left side and out. In other words, the cameras should have been panned to the right.

The darkness issues were covered by those above me.

So shoot it like Ian did? I don't have any wide-angle lenses at the moment.

troy12n 08-05-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elitewolf135 (Post 168988)
More specifically, what details need to be captured more? The bridge? The boats? or just a mix of everything?
I looked up a guide, it recommends using an exposure of 30sec at F/16. I'm not sure if I should risk that (saying that in terms of will the headlights wash out the frame) or what I should use.
Then again, I was WAAAY overkilling the aperture at F/22.

Didnt we just have this discussion last week about aperture??? :roll:

If you read the book we told you to read, there was a section that mentioned night photography.

At any rate, if there wasn't, here's some advice, there is never, ever any circumstance that you would need to, or want to, shoot a night shot at F22, or F16. It's kind of pushing it to be at F8. Shooting at night is one of those times you can get usually away with being wide open, even on a crap lens. At night, you need to catch as much light as possible usually, especially on long exposures. You do this with low F numbers, long shutter speeds, and higher than normal ISO. Trial and error on your camera to see that noise does not creep in, noise at night is uglier than during the day, hot pixels can be an issue too.

Elitewolf135 08-05-2013 10:57 PM

I'd much rather use the base iso here. iso100 at F/8 on Bulb mode I suppose would be the best.
I lost that book ever since my laptop crashed as I had to resync my tablet which lost everything. That' why I'm asking now.

JimThias 08-05-2013 11:48 PM

Go to B&N and buy the actual book. ;-)

troy12n 08-05-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elitewolf135 (Post 168999)
I'd much rather use the base iso here. iso100 at F/8 on Bulb mode I suppose would be the best.
I lost that book ever since my laptop crashed as I had to resync my tablet which lost everything. That' why I'm asking now.

Did you not just read what I wrote in my last post?

If you are on bulb, do you have a remote shutter release? If not you are wasting your time with bulb.

People have given you lots of quality advice, if you are going to just completely ignore it, you might as well not even post.

JimThias 08-05-2013 11:50 PM

Come on now, he's young and making a good effort at learning photography. No reason to tell him not to post. We've all asked the same thing over and over from time to time, so I'm not going to find any fault in that.

Elitewolf135 08-06-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 169004)
Come on now, he's young and making a good effort at learning photography. No reason to tell him not to post. We've all asked the same thing over and over from time to time, so I'm not going to find any fault in that.

While I'm at it, I might as well ask you to be my personal mentor :P

troy12n 08-06-2013 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 169004)

If he's not going to heed advice, what's the point?

JRMDC 08-06-2013 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 169010)
If he's not going to heed advice, what's the point?

Hey Troy, how many kids you do have??? :)

troy12n 08-06-2013 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 169014)
Hey Troy, how many kids you do have??? :)

If I had kids, they would not lack discipline.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mce3yiMF4iQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Elitewolf135 08-06-2013 06:22 AM

Thanks for the advice as always! Four down so far!
[photoid=446196]

JimThias 08-06-2013 11:47 AM

Nice job there, fella. I'd love to see a shot like that at dusk as well.

Elitewolf135 08-06-2013 04:20 PM

It may be some time, worrying about the dangers and being told "You're gong to get shot" by the bridge's famous photographer is enough for two days in a row.
I think he's just upset because I had the courage to do such a thing at such a bad area.
But I'll be back, I've found a possible shot I may try during the late evening too.

JimThias 08-06-2013 06:29 PM

What's bad about the area? It seems that's a pretty popular bridge to shoot. Does a photographer have to watch his back every time he goes on that bridge for a shot?

nikos1 08-06-2013 08:31 PM

Seeing all those boats down there I can't imagine its that bad. People normally don't park their boats in the hood....

Elitewolf135 08-06-2013 09:22 PM

Besides, anyone who has even the least bit of common sense wouldn't do anything on a popular police and general traffic road.
Hapsias just really dislikes me, even told me I had no chance. As I said, he is likely upset because I'm using "his" shot.

JimThias 08-06-2013 10:22 PM

So...how is it a bad area?

asis80 08-06-2013 11:21 PM

McKeesport gets a bad rap. Although, every few days or so, the headlines read "So and so shot dead at McKeesport" or "Drug bust in McKeesport". Brad and I never had an issue through the hours of the night getting this photo.

[photoid=397691]

It helps that the police station for McKeesport is less than 100 yards from the bridge. Not the friendliest or the deadliest place on the planet.

Ben