RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Medium Format (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5134)

Pat Lorenz 04-05-2007 07:21 PM

Medium Format

Seeing as how this is a digital paradise, i would be suprised to get a response out people, but none the less mabey some of the older guys can help out.

In a converstaion with my photofinisher in town, we were working on an enlargment project and the subject of medium format came up. The employee i was working with said they have a regular customer that shoots medium format and he said the images just blew him away.

He suggested that i may want to look into something like that if i had some extra bucks or time.

Looking for a camera on ebay i found some pentex that looked pretty decent.

I would say that i am looking for a camera body and 50mm lens. But i dont have any medium format expiereance, what should i look for in a camera body, what should i know.

(intentions of this camera are not fixated on RR photos, but i will try it for that)

any help appreciated.

Mark Rosnick 04-05-2007 08:39 PM

Medium format

Pat I've owned both Bronica and Mamiya medium format cameras. I've used the Pentax 6x7 and it's a tank. The thing you need to look out for is Hasselblad, some Bronica and some Mamiya are 6x6 format, so you'll get a square image. I always liked the 6x4.5 format that the Bronica ETRS, Mamiya 645 & Pentax 645 use. It's perfect 8x10 format. I once shot weddings (never again) and most people that I've dealt with prefer a rectangular print as opposed to square print. The 645 format is also easier to use in the field than the 6x7 format. I did a little railfanning with medium format in the past, but always used a hand-held lightmeter, since the meters in old medium format cameras were never very accurate. Now is the time to buy, because a lot of photographers I know are dumping medium format completely, so it's a buyers market. KEH Camera Brokers in Atlanta always treated me fine, so I might suggest to go to KEH.com.
Good luck..Mark

JRMDC 04-05-2007 08:52 PM

I've never done MF, but I see the mention of KEH and I want to give a hearty endorsement; I've made several purchases of used gear from them.

BTW, Mark, how is 6x4.5 a perfect 8x10 format? That's just a 4:3 ratio format (same as many digicams) whereas 8x10 is a 5:4 ratio.

Which leads to a pet peeve, the predominance of 8x10 frames in the store when I use a 3:2 camera to shoot subjects (trains! trains!) that are often ill-suited for a 5:4 ratio frame. :(

JimThias 04-06-2007 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC
Which leads to a pet peeve, the predominance of 8x10 frames in the store when I use a 3:2 camera to shoot subjects (trains! trains!) that are often ill-suited for a 5:4 ratio frame. :(

You just HAD to bring this up, didn't you?! :razz: It is currently a MAJOR peeve of mine. I just can't understand how 8x12 frames are NOT the norm, when a LARGE number of cameras these days are in the 3:2 format. It makes ZERO sense to have to crop a 3:2 format picture to fit an 8x10 frame when enlarging (or pay big bucks to get a custom frame made). http://bestsmileys.com/angry2/10.gif

Ok, back to this thread's regular programming.

lwhistler 04-06-2007 02:47 AM

I have the Mamiya RZ67, which is a 6x7 and the 50mm lens would be = to about 25mm on a 35mm. The RZ67 is very well balanced for hand holding, and the revolving back will allow the camera to shoot both verticals and horizontals without tilting the camera. Flash sync is 1/400 or less, and the mirror is very smooth. I don't use it anymore because of the hassle of film and not being able to see the results before you leave the location, I would recommend the Canon 5D over any medium format camera.

If you do go for a medium format pick the 6x7 instead of a 645. Another consideration is the Mamiya 7 II range finder with the 50mm, I rented one for a day and if it wasn't for digital probably would own one.

How about 4x5?

JRMDC 04-06-2007 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias
You just HAD to bring this up, didn't you?! :razz: It is currently a MAJOR peeve of mine. I just can't understand how 8x12 frames are NOT the norm, when a LARGE number of cameras these days are in the 3:2 format. It makes ZERO sense to have to crop a 3:2 format picture to fit an 8x10 frame when enlarging (or pay big bucks to get a custom frame made). http://bestsmileys.com/angry2/10.gif

Ok, back to this thread's regular programming.

I've got a set of cheap 8x12 frames, just a plain black edge, that I ran across in a photog store. I have just submitted the last image for printing and I hope to have a rotating exhibit (pretentious!) of my stuff in my office soon. :) Stuff looks really neat in 8x12, better than full screen - probably because in a frame they seem more permanent and classy, regardless of underlying quality. :) The set will include some of my film stuff plus a couple digis.

JRMDC 04-06-2007 03:00 AM

Hey, for a mere $30k, you can have a digital back for that 6x4.5!

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...irstlook.shtml

Ween 04-06-2007 05:27 AM

Quote:

I just can't understand how 8x12 frames are NOT the norm, when a LARGE number of cameras these days are in the 3:2 format.
a) Create a frame company

b) Specialize in 8x12 frames

c) Profit

:lol:

JimThias 04-06-2007 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ween
a) Create a frame company

b) Specialize in 8x12 frames

c) Profit

:lol:

You know, that thought DID cross my mind after I made my post. Would you like to partner in it with me? ;-)

Ween 04-06-2007 06:45 AM

Sure. You build the frames and I'll provide the stock photos that go in them! :D

JimThias 04-06-2007 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ween
Sure. You build the frames and I'll provide the stock photos that go in them! :D

No thanks. I've seen your pictures.

:lol: Just kidding!! :-D

Ween 04-06-2007 10:59 PM

Ha ha ha ha ha!!!

ken45 04-06-2007 11:15 PM

Walked right into that one, lol. Thanks for the laugh Jim, it's been a tough week and I needed one.

Bill 04-07-2007 06:02 AM

I purchase all of my frames at FrameUSA (http://www.frameusa.com) & 8x12 is a stock size that they carry.

As an aside, I still prefer an 8x10 format myself...so I mentally crop everyshot while taking it. A good rule of thumb...compose your scene, then back up one step.

Slopes09 04-07-2007 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat Lorenz
I would say that i am looking for a camera body and 50mm lens. But i dont have any medium format expiereance, what should i look for in a camera body, what should i know.

Actually, if I remember my photography formats right, a "normal" lens in medium format is actually a 70 mm. A 50 mm lens would be wide angle. Of course, this is assuming that you want a normal lens, and not a wide angle.

Pat Lorenz 04-07-2007 06:30 AM

yeah i would assume go with a 70mm for normal format. Thanks to everyone who posted, i am suprised film of this sort still gets some attention. Anyhow i got some good info and anyone else, please dont hesitate to keep posting.

Mark Rosnick 04-13-2007 05:07 AM

Medium format

Pat the "normal" lens for a 6x6 is 80mm, 645 it's 75mm and 6x7 90mm, although Mamiya sold a 127mm lens that a lot of people used for a normal len. BTW Janusz back when Mamiya introduced the 645 they marketed it as the perfect 8x10 "wedding" camera. I agree that the ratio is wrong for 8x10, but you know marketing.