RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   My usual...Bad Cropping (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16945)

MassArt Images 02-23-2014 01:54 AM

My usual...Bad Cropping

1 Attachment(s)
This was hit with a BC

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...20&key=1791993

Here is the original.... Help Please

Mgoldman 02-23-2014 02:02 AM

I like it - I don't think it's a bad crop, but I don't think personally I'm a fan of the engine way back in the shot as the signals almost look like obstructions. I'd think it could slip right in if you had a shot with the engines between the signals. Processing is a bit but not out of hand. Make the shadows look more like shadows - darker, or at least black and not blue.

/Mitch

JRMDC 02-23-2014 02:57 AM

All the action is on the left - crop right as much as you can, and sky. My reaction to the processing is stronger than Mitch's - shadows tool well overdone.

Mgoldman 02-23-2014 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 175865)
All the action is on the left - crop right as much as you can, and sky. My reaction to the processing is stronger than Mitch's - shadows tool well overdone.

Then you cut the train consist un-naturally. I like the "big expanse" as cropped, though smushed would be more in line with what we see on RP.
As is, in the panno crop, I think it works.

/Mitch

troy12n 02-23-2014 03:39 AM

Take a good hunk off the right

JRMDC 02-23-2014 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldman (Post 175866)
Then you cut the train consist un-naturally. I like the "big expanse" as cropped, though smushed would be more in line with what we see on RP.
As is, in the panno crop, I think it works.

/Mitch

One can easily do a substantial crop on the right and leave a natural cut. Look again.

CSX1702 02-23-2014 04:16 PM

Do you have a frame with the engine past the signals?

wds 02-23-2014 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSX1702 (Post 175884)
Do you have a frame with the engine past the signals?

Then it would get hit with "backlit", which is why he appears to have tried to lighten the near side of the train making its shadow appear blue as opposed to the black shadows of the signals.
I actually prefer the full version showing the full contour of the hill in the background and the road at the left, I get a better feel of the place that way. Maybe cut off a bit of the road, but leave the majority of it in place and a sliver off the bottom to keep the ratio..

troy12n 02-23-2014 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wds (Post 175885)
Then it would get hit with "backlit", which is why he appears to have tried to lighten the near side of the train making its shadow appear blue as opposed to the black shadows of the signals.
I actually prefer the full version showing the full contour of the hill in the background and the road at the left, I get a better feel of the place that way. Maybe cut off a bit of the road, but leave the majority of it in place and a sliver off the bottom to keep the ratio..

Yea, you can see he's alreay hit it pretty hard with the shadows and highlights tool... those shadows look pretty unnatural

That looks like a great location with lots of possibilities. If you live nearby, try again at a time with better lighting?

Hatchetman 02-24-2014 12:37 AM

I like the composition. too much shadow recovery tool.

MassArt Images 02-24-2014 01:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I stepped away from the shadow/highlight tool. I recropped by taking some off the top and right. All to no avail. I now have a backlit rejection. End of the road.

Attachment 8460

troy12n 02-24-2014 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassArt Images (Post 175920)
I stepped away from the shadow/highlight tool. I recropped by taking some off the top and right. All to no avail. I now have a backlit rejection. End of the road.

Attachment 8460

There's been a bunch lately truly backlit much more than yours, dont you love the consistency?

JimThias 02-24-2014 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 175922)
There's been a bunch lately truly backlit much more than yours, dont you love the consistency?

Yeah, easily 80% of the train in his shot is lit perfectly. Just because there's a fraction of shadowed side showing, it shouldn't be rejected for backlit. However...I would have hit it for "subject too far away."

MassArt Images 02-24-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 175931)
However...I would have hit it for "subject too far away."

Then I guess you would have hit these too.....

[photoid=470522]

[photoid=467628]

JimThias 02-24-2014 11:36 AM

Nope. Those photos are showing big scenes, where as yours has two detached subjects in it. Which are we supposed to be focusing on, the signals or the train? Where is your frame with the locos between the signals? That is what makes it "too far away" for me. The two subjects are detached from each and I think it would be a much stronger image if they were together, especially with the elevation you have. If you were track level, then I might see it differently. But that's just how my brain and eyes work. :-)