RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Suggestions on bad cropping, please! (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17099)

lalam 05-25-2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 178912)

Nice photo. Crop more from the left and it should be in.
Why not a single thread exclusively for everyone's cropping needs?

JRMDC 05-25-2014 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 178912)
So as to not have to start another thread, how about a cropping suggestion for this obviously poor shot?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...34&key=8477397

Can someone please explain to me just how much "better" this shot can be if the cropping is redone? Is the screener really adding value here?

Mberry 05-25-2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 178915)
Can someone please explain to me just how much "better" this shot can be if the cropping is redone? Is the screener really adding value here?

Agreed, I like it as is.

John West 05-25-2014 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 178912)
So as to not have to start another thread, how about a cropping suggestion for this obviously poor shot?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...34&key=8477397

Simple problem. Just clone out the highway speed sign. Just another one of those rejections that makes you scratch your head. It is really a very nice image, better than the vast majority accepted and better than a quite a few screener's choices I have seen. Good composition, great colors, interesting subject, well exposed, reasonably sharp, it really has it all. Hell I'd give it a PCA if you can only get it accepted.

The screener must be having a bad hair day.

CSX1702 05-25-2014 07:54 PM

I'm starting to see your point of view guys. I've seen a couple of WTF rejections the past couple days. Clearly no one else has a problem with these bad cropping rejections so why does the screener? And why should Troy and the other guy conform to what the screener wants?

troy12n 05-25-2014 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 178915)
Can someone please explain to me just how much "better" this shot can be if the cropping is redone? Is the screener really adding value here?

My thoughts exactly...

JimThias 05-25-2014 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John West (Post 178921)
Good composition, great colors, interesting subject, well exposed, reasonably sharp, it really has it all.

Yes to all of those, but the poor train placement kills it for me (OCD kicking in).

Troy, you must not have machine-gunned it. :-P

By the way, this scene is a perfect example of a 5:4 ratio working really well.

John West 05-26-2014 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 178924)
Yes to all of those, but the poor train placement kills it for me (OCD kicking in).

That comment surprises me. Where would prefer the train to be? To my eye the placement is about perfect. Which goes to show that there is a LOT of judgement in this game.

Holloran Grade 05-26-2014 12:21 AM

It would look better if it were closer to the brush on the left.

troy12n 05-26-2014 12:30 AM

Quote:

Troy, you must not have machine-gunned it. :-P
5D mark 1 doesn't exactly machine gun.

troy12n 05-26-2014 01:29 AM

Guess not, who knows...

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...11&key=1094881

jac_murphy 05-26-2014 02:32 AM

Photo looks just fine to me, too, placement-wise; frankly, asking for it to be closer to the brush seems somewhat nitpicky... my only issue with it, though, are the extremely obvious signs of masking around all the small branches in the sky.

-Jacques

EMTRailfan 05-26-2014 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 178912)
So as to not have to start another thread, how about a cropping suggestion for this obviously poor shot?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...34&key=8477397

I agree with the rest of the congregation on this one. The ONLY thing that I might consider would be to crop off or clone out the branch at the top/right that kinda looks like a scratch on your lens.

mark woody 05-26-2014 08:34 AM

Clone out the guy taking a pee up the road and it will be golden.:shock:;)

JimThias 05-26-2014 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John West (Post 178926)
That comment surprises me. Where would prefer the train to be? To my eye the placement is about perfect. Which goes to show that there is a LOT of judgement in this game.

It looks "about perfect" to me as well, but what would make it perfect would be what this guy said:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holloran Grade (Post 178927)
It would look better if it were closer to the brush on the left.

:smile:
Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 178928)
5D mark 1 doesn't exactly machine gun.

I feel your pain. I had a lot of shots with the train not quite perfectly placed (in my eye) when I used to shoot with a 5D. The 60D is faster, but I still wish I had a camera in the 7-10 fps range. That would alleviate me from experiencing the nagging "if only the train were perfectly placed" emotion. :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jac_murphy (Post 178934)
Photo looks just fine to me, too, placement-wise; frankly, asking for it to be closer to the brush seems somewhat nitpicky...

I agree 100%. But that's what being OCD about some things in life does to you. You know that leveling obsession I have? Well, it also applies to train placement on bridges. ;)


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.