RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Fostoria Railfan Park (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17235)

CSX1702 09-13-2014 03:36 AM

Fostoria Railfan Park

Forgive me if there has been another thread about this, I did not look it up.

I have to say I was disappointed in the new railfan park built in Fostoria. It was a good idea, but executed poorly. There is only one viewing platform and it is right next to the NS, the least active of the 3 mainlines there. That's also where the restrooms and most of the parking is at.

That being said, you can still park pretty much everywhere you could before, but it would be nice if they would build another platform and parking lot near the B&O. Does anyone know if they have plans to do anything like this?

hoydie17 09-14-2014 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSX1702 (Post 181507)
Forgive me if there has been another thread about this, I did not look it up.

I have to say I was disappointed in the new railfan park built in Fostoria. It was a good idea, but executed poorly. There is only one viewing platform and it is right next to the NS, the least active of the 3 mainlines there. That's also where the restrooms and most of the parking is at.

That being said, you can still park pretty much everywhere you could before, but it would be nice if they would build another platform and parking lot near the B&O. Does anyone know if they have plans to do anything like this?

The plan was to eventually build platforms for the two CSX lines as well.

Of course, they can only do it when they get the money to do so. The funding to build the one there now as provided largely from private donations and grants, no tax dollars went into it other than to acquire the property and clean up the old structure that used to occupy the spot.

Fostoria's Chamber of Commerce and the Tourism Board wanted to build observation platforms along the CSX lines first as opposed to NS. But, you guessed it, our ever railfan-friendly CSX folks raised a stink over it saying that they felt that it would encourage more trespassing near F-Tower. NS put up less of a resistance to it, hence why it was built closer to the NS tracks.

The future plan was to have at least two sizable platforms in the triangle, one next to the B&O, and the existing one by the NKP. There was some hope that when CSX eventually deactivates F-Tower, that the city could acquire the land it sits on for a third platform.

Will it ever happen? Who knows, maybe if CSX ever gets the corncob out of its collective ass when it comes to railfans.

CSX1702 09-14-2014 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoydie17 (Post 181510)
The plan was to eventually build platforms for the two CSX lines as well.

Of course, they can only do it when they get the money to do so. The funding to build the one there now as provided largely from private donations and grants, no tax dollars went into it other than to acquire the property and clean up the old structure that used to occupy the spot.

Fostoria's Chamber of Commerce and the Tourism Board wanted to build observation platforms along the CSX lines first as opposed to NS. But, you guessed it, our ever railfan-friendly CSX folks raised a stink over it saying that they felt that it would encourage more trespassing near F-Tower. NS put up less of a resistance to it, hence why it was built closer to the NS tracks.

The future plan was to have at least two sizable platforms in the triangle, one next to the B&O, and the existing one by the NKP. There was some hope that when CSX eventually deactivates F-Tower, that the city could acquire the land it sits on for a third platform.

Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks for the info.

I should say that it does look good. It's just kind of odd having just the one. But I do understand the ever present money issue.

I also hope that they never deactivate F-Tower. That would suck. I would imagine it would be pretty hard to do however given the fact that there are 3 diamonds, 2 yards, and 5 transfer tracks.

Quote:

Will it ever happen? Who knows, maybe if CSX ever gets the corncob out of its collective ass when it comes to railfans.
Riiiiight.

EDIT: Here's my view of the platform yesterday. It does stay pretty busy.

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/106668245@N04/15045279309/player/" width="320" height="213" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

JimThias 09-15-2014 01:50 AM

Cool. I'll be there next Fri/Sat. Just gonna be hanging out. Probably won't take too many photos unless I head out into the country.

CSX1702 09-15-2014 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 181516)
Cool. I'll be there next Fri/Sat. Just gonna be hanging out. Probably won't take too many photos unless I head out into the country.

Good deal. It's always been a really good place to just sit and watch given the ridiculous amount of traffic.

bigbassloyd 09-17-2014 03:20 PM

It's a fine place to stop and use the bathroom before moving elsewhere.. :)

Loyd L.

CSX1702 09-17-2014 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 181526)

Loyd L.

Come on, it ain't that bad.. :razz:

bigbassloyd 09-18-2014 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSX1702 (Post 181531)

I didn't say it was bad. I said it was a good place to stop and use the bathroom before moving elsewhere. It's one of those places that you go once or twice to say you've been there. :D

Loyd L.

JimThias 09-18-2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSX1702 (Post 181531)

For anything other than hanging out with friends and talking sports and chicks as trains go by, yeah, it's that bad. :-D

bigbassloyd 09-18-2014 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 181547)
For anything other than hanging out with friends and talking sports and chicks as trains go by, yeah, it's that bad. :-D

And since Deshler has a fire pit, grill, camping area, scanner, and wifi, it's an easy decision for me on where to hang out.. :D

Loyd L.

CSX1702 09-18-2014 08:54 PM

I know that Deshler and other places are definitely more scenic or photogenic but I guess I just enjoy the huge amount of traffic......

Wait, does that me a foamer? Damn it...

bigbassloyd 09-18-2014 09:12 PM

You may be if the 10 extra trains you'll see in Fostoria makes you think it's a better place to hang out :D

Loyd L.

CSX1702 09-18-2014 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 181553)
You may be if the 10 extra trains you'll see in Fostoria makes you think it's a better place to hang out :D

Loyd L.

Fine, I'll go to Deshler next time I'm up north. Lol

bigbassloyd 09-19-2014 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSX1702 (Post 181554)
Fine, I'll go to Deshler next time I'm up north. Lol

:D

Let's see some photos. I'll throw a couple of mine up from the Ohio 3 day adventure tonight.

CSX1702 09-20-2014 07:59 AM

I really do want to get back to Deshler though. The last time I was there I though if you just took a picture of a train on a sunny day, it was a good picture. Now I can go and actually take decent pictures. Lol

CSX1702 09-21-2014 02:54 AM

Maybe I'm bad luck? The train that derailed in Altoona apparently originated in Fostoria...:shock:

[photoid=498808]

bigbassloyd 09-22-2014 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSX1702 (Post 181571)
I really do want to get back to Deshler though. The last time I was there I though if you just took a picture of a train on a sunny day, it was a good picture. Now I can go and actually take decent pictures. Lol

There's a few good options at and near Deshler. I always sleep at the park, and start the day off with Sunrise at Leipsic before traveling elsewhere. After sunset, it's back to Deshler for pizza and a raging fire.

Loyd L.

JimThias 09-22-2014 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSX1702 (Post 181571)

Here's a view in Deshler that you (or anyone else) have probably never seen before. :D

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps43833865.jpg

JimThias 09-22-2014 11:26 PM

A shot from the railfan park in Fostoria (wish I had more, but both CSX and NS had a major lull in traffic during the best sunlight for EB trains this past Saturday):

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps67f30d14.jpg

And one from Leipsic, minus a train (:mad:):

http://i974.photobucket.com/albums/a...psccc54402.jpg

bigbassloyd 09-23-2014 12:57 AM

3 Attachment(s)
http://forums.railpictures.net/attac...1&d=1411430032
http://forums.railpictures.net/attac...1&d=1411430169
http://forums.railpictures.net/attac...1&d=1411430169

Leipsic never lets me down. I love that place.

Loyd L.

CSX1702 09-23-2014 03:17 AM

So does the sky just look amazing everytime you go out? Lol

bigbassloyd 09-23-2014 12:58 PM

I've been fortunate with the weather conditions when I head up to NW Ohio. I always make a mid September trip because the Sun rises up behind the diamond perfectly. Every morning I get up an hour before sunrise, and head down to Leipsic. I attempt to put the odds in my favor, and let Mother Nature handle the rest.

Loyd L.

CSX1702 10-18-2014 06:41 AM

Yeah, Fostoria must suck. No one on the forums ever goes there.

[photoid=502401]

:twisted:

JimThias 10-20-2014 02:17 AM

And I had a great time hanging with friends, drinking beer, talking sports and women, and shooting a minimal amount of trains. :)

troy12n 11-18-2014 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 181526)

Loyd L.

You just described the state of Ohio :lol: