RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Trip Reports (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   UP Steam Photo Opportunity (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12854)

Doug Wolfe 09-22-2010 05:02 PM

UP Steam Photo Opportunity

Union Pacific has announced its UP 3985 steam locomotive will be on tour and displayed in several U.S. cities. Here is the schedule for anyone who would like to go get pictures of it:

During this tour, the 67-year-old locomotive will be on display in:

* Kansas City, Mo., Oct. 3 and Oct. 11;
* Jefferson City, Mo., Oct. 5; and
* St. Louis, Mo., Oct. 8; and

The Challenger will make overnight stops in:

* Denver, Colo., Sept. 28;
* Cheyenne, Wyo., Sept. 29;
* North Platte, Neb., Sept. 30 and Oct. 13;
* Marysville, Kan., Oct. 1 and Oct 12;
* St. Louis, Mo., Oct.6 and Oct. 7; and
* Sedalia, Mo., Oct. 9.

These are all dates in 2010.

stlgevo51 09-22-2010 09:22 PM

This is one I am definitely chasing. For sure on the Oct. 7th run to Gorham, but maybe the Oct. 9th as well. I am really looking forward to this!

barnstormer 09-24-2010 03:57 PM

Boy, I hope I can get up there. That would definitely be great to see. Thanks for the heads up.

Ween 09-24-2010 09:35 PM

It'll be less than an hour away...on my anniversary. Yeah, I'm not going to see it on the outbound leg, but it does have to make it back to Cheyenne at some point!

stlgevo51 09-24-2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ween
It'll be less than an hour away...on my anniversary. Yeah, I'm not going to see it on the outbound leg, but it does have to make it back to Cheyenne at some point!

You mean you will not be able to see it pull 62 cars of the Ringling Brothers Circus Train? I would kill to see that! If I could get that time off, I would take a trip to Denver to see that. I bet it will be incredible! But anniversaries are more important, though.

crazytiger 09-25-2010 01:41 AM

Respect the man for respecting his wife, Jake.

Edit: Brad Paisley has something to say, too.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LZUa1Eq1NK0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LZUa1Eq1NK0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

mark woody 09-27-2010 11:36 AM

Brad's right up there along with Alan Jackson, George Strait, Joe Nicholls and Lee Ann Womack, yes i like both kinds of music Country and Western.

DAKIBSRR 10-02-2010 11:11 AM

I will be driving to Gorham on the 7th to catch it.

troy12n 11-05-2010 08:26 PM

Any chance of it running the Clinchfield again?

stlgevo51 11-05-2010 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n

Very funny! We all wish, but the chances of that happening are about the same as the 4449 making another trip east of Oregon.

crazytiger 11-08-2010 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlgevo51 (Post 124010)
Very funny! We all wish, but the chances of that happening are about the same as the 4449 making another trip east of Oregon.

Are 4449's chances particularly adverse?

milwman 11-10-2010 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 124000)

After a side swipe on the CSX the UP will never go off line with there steam program:sad: Some one didn't see that the track centers moved over the years and the dinged a coal car on a curve.

troy12n 11-15-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milwman (Post 124313)
After a side swipe on the CSX the UP will never go off line with there steam program:sad: Some one didn't see that the track centers moved over the years and the dinged a coal car on a curve.

There is a pretty good video out there about that trip, shows it in some pretty good detail including them fixing it in Erwin, plus illustrating them having issues turning the wye in Erwin and having to pull it to St Paul to wye at the N&W interchange.

KGilliam 11-20-2010 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milwman (Post 124313)

Track centers didn't move. CSX extended a siding that didn't exist into that curve in the steam era when the Clinchfield Challengers (the order immediately previous to the UP order that 3985 came from) operated. It created a 14 degree double-track curve--which was a no-no in CRR steam days. Should have been noticed regardless, but between the sideswipe, the tightening of the Kingsport wye that made it impossible to turn the 3985 there, and a bunch of little issues with where you can take that engine over the trip added up.