RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Drone photography question - Camera quality (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17701)

MassArt Images 04-28-2016 12:31 PM

Drone photography question - Camera quality

Which drone mfg. offers the best built-in camera in your opinion?
Has any of the drone mags done a comparison test?

JimThias 04-28-2016 01:17 PM

Check the EXIF data of the drone photos on RP and you'll get a pretty good idea of what people think is the best. :wink:

Also, a couple of years ago I saw some camera comparison tests on youtube, so I'm sure there are current versions as well.

Dennis A. Livesey 05-04-2016 12:08 AM

Aerial photography is changing so fast, info more than two days old is suspect. :-)
For the benefit of weight and keeping costs down, integrated camera/gimbals are the way to go. Separate cameras a la a GoPro, is less desirable for affordable copters.
At this time, the sales leader DJI, makes excellent copter/gimbal/camera packages. You will most likely end up with them.
Just don't do what I saw one fan do while chasing 611 in 2015: We are trackside, the loco is minutes away and there is a guy who has just popped open the DJI case and is now reading the instructions...

KevinM 05-04-2016 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey (Post 188287)
Just don't do what I saw one fan do while chasing 611 in 2015: We are trackside, the loco is minutes away and there is a guy who has just popped open the DJI case and is now reading the instructions...

Perhaps he lived inside the DC SFRA and couldn't legally fly the thing except in his garage. :wink:

For those intending to fly UAS to photograph the 611, please remember to avoid overflying crowds, keep it below 400 AGL, away from structures and more than 5 miles from the nearest airport.

Decapod401 05-04-2016 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey (Post 188287)

Might have been the same guy who had to climb a tree at Shawsville to retrieve his after the wind got a hold of it.:lol:

JRMDC 05-04-2016 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinM (Post 188290)
Perhaps he lived inside the DC SFRA and couldn't legally fly the thing except in his garage. :wink:

For those intending to fly UAS to photograph the 611, please remember to avoid overflying crowds, keep it below 400 AGL, away from structures and more than 5 miles from the nearest airport.

My impression is that a good bit of 611's travels was followed by a helicopter. The one I saw was well under 400, I believe. The last thing we want to see is a drone/copter collision. Hope people are smart. I don't recall hearing of any issues last year.

KevinM 05-04-2016 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 188296)
My impression is that a good bit of 611's travels was followed by a helicopter. The one I saw was well under 400, I believe. The last thing we want to see is a drone/copter collision. Hope people are smart. I don't recall hearing of any issues last year.

Hi J,

Helos are pretty much permitted to fly as low as they need to as long as they are able to make a safe emergency landing if needed, and they do not create a hazard to persons or property on the ground. It sounds pretty liberal, but there is a fine line between exercising those privileges to the max and being charged with careless and reckless operation. At altitudes below 500 AGL there is also a serious risk of collision with towers, wires and all manner of other hazards. Fortunately, most helo pilots are well-trained, experienced and careful. The same cannot necessarily be said of most "drone" pilots. FWIW, it is the responsibility of the "drone" pilot to not interfere with the operation of manned aircraft.