RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   U.S. Class 1 Railroad Discussion (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   In regards to mr.freericks (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14343)

asis80 09-11-2011 04:11 AM

In regards to mr.freericks

[photoid=374518]

What's the purpose of the grating? I'm sure for protection but from what? Never seen anything like that. I couldn't deal with it, I have the biggest pet peeve of having my windshield clear and clean of everything. Thanks in advance.

Ben

nikos1 09-11-2011 04:26 AM

To protect the engineer from rocks thrown at the train by idiots in the ghetto, hence the name ghetto grills. Some FXE units still have them.

trainboysd40 09-11-2011 06:49 AM

They had them on a few units around here, too - but that was to protect the head end crew from rocks thrown by the mountains, not jerks.

JRMDC 09-11-2011 08:35 AM

C'mon, Ben, wiith a thread title like "In regards to mr.freericks" I was expecting a total takedown, a call out and straight into the woodshed! This thread is pretty lame, when I can't sleep I want much better than this! :)

My take on rock screening:

[photoid=172696]

Hatchetman 09-11-2011 02:56 PM

I've had rocks hit my commuter train a couple times while passing through downtrodden areas. Those modern windows are strong.

Freericks 09-11-2011 03:24 PM

As others have pointed out, to protect from rock throwers, which was a big issue at the time in the Boston area. Today, the locomotive glass is much stronger, so the need for the grate is gone.

J was right, I was expected a big take down when I saw the thread title.

troy12n 09-11-2011 03:49 PM

Ghetto grills is what they were called.

Many Amtrak, and MBTA units had them in the 70's/80's. The FL9's, F40PH, E60, E and F units and some AEM7's assigned to certain areas in the northeast, specifically NORTH of New York.

It was because people (kids/thugs) thought it was cool to throw stuff off bridges and onto trains. I think at some point someone was killed by it. At some point a few things happened. First, most bridges had fencing/guardrails built up so people cant throw stuff off bridges. Second, the FRA came up with more stringent requirements for locomotive windshield glass. It is thicker and tempered.

Freericks 09-11-2011 07:00 PM

They were grills, but I recall everyone calling them ghetto bars. Hard to say if that's right... it's been a couple years.

JimThias 09-11-2011 08:48 PM

Sad testament to the pathetic shreds of human debris that inhabit this earth.

Freericks 09-11-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 142116)

You wonder what they grew up into... have to figure the guys doing that crap then were my age... that puts them right in the middle of middle age today.

Are they still nihilistic scum, or did they grow up. Did they have kids? Are their kids scum?

troy12n 09-11-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 142116)

Or at least certain parts of it...

Holloran Grade 09-15-2011 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freericks (Post 142117)
You wonder what they grew up into... have to figure the guys doing that crap then were my age... that puts them right in the middle of middle age today.

Perhaps, but most of those people never make it to 50.

They die in drive-bys and drug deals and due to over doses.

Or they move on to bigger rocks and become guests of the government.:wink: