RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Pere Marquette 1225 & the Black Skull Flag (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18194)

Grewup on the CW 12-19-2018 08:19 PM

Pere Marquette 1225 & the Black Skull Flag

May be a dumb question but I dont know, so would somebody educate me
What is the Black Skull flag on top at the smoke stack all about?

[photoid=681185]

Decapod401 12-20-2018 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW (Post 195063)
May be a dumb question but I dont know, so would somebody educate me
What is the Black Skull flag on top at the smoke stack all about?

[photoid=681185]

It's called a skull and crossbones, and it's a traditional pirate flag. It must have some significance to the 1225 crew.

JimThias 12-20-2018 03:29 AM

It's a pirate steam locomotive. Duh! :twisted:

By the way, I'd love to see the unedited photo. I bet it looks nothing like that. Quite a nice job with the processing.

amtrak07t 12-20-2018 04:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 195066)
It's a pirate steam locomotive. Duh! :twisted:

By the way, I'd love to see the unedited photo. I bet it looks nothing like that. Quite a nice job with the processing.

I was standing right next to Luke. I don't believe he has a forum account, so I have attached my original (scaled down) from this location. I do agree that he did a nice job processing it. We weren't entirely sure of the meaning behind the skull and cross bones.

http://forums.railpictures.net/attac...1&d=1545280176

bigbassloyd 12-20-2018 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 195066)
Quite a nice job with the processing.

Maybe a touch heavy with the shadow work. He could be working from a darker monitor though and didn't notice the tells however.

Loyd L.

Grewup on the CW 12-20-2018 03:26 PM

Arrrrrr Mates, a pirate flag it is, But why ye hoist it high aboard the North Pole Express??
Kinda tipping Santa and elves off to the oncoming pillage. Eh?
Just seems out of place for the occasion, thus the curiosity for its significance.

miningcamper1 12-20-2018 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW (Post 195070)
Arrrrrr Mates, a pirate flag it is, But why ye hoist it high aboard the North Pole Express??
Kinda tipping Santa and elves off to the oncoming pillage. Eh?
Just seems out of place for the occasion, thus the curiosity for its significance.

Simple enough to zap it if saving the excellent photo! I don't recall any pirate connection to the North Pole Express. :confused:

Grewup on the CW 12-20-2018 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 195071)
Simple enough to zap it if saving the excellent photo! I don't recall any pirate connection to the North Pole Express. :confused:

Its nice pic and a great edit. The flag dont bother me other than why the RR crew put it on there. Again, it seems out of place considering its the "North Pole Express". Maybe all the naughty kids hijacked the train.....?

amtrak07t 12-21-2018 12:25 AM

I send the SRI a message. The flag was just for fun on the last day. I think it's pretty neat.

Thereís no significance to the pirate flags. It was just the back shop maintenance crew having a little fun on the last day of the North Pole Express. Many people in the shop donate all of their weekend free time for five weeks. They deserve a little fun, donít you think?

Grewup on the CW 12-21-2018 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amtrak07t (Post 195073)
I send the SRI a message. The flag was just for fun on the last day. I think it's pretty neat.

Thereís no significance to the pirate flags. It was just the back shop maintenance crew having a little fun on the last day of the North Pole Express. Many people in the shop donate all of their weekend free time for five weeks. They deserve a little fun, donít you think?

Again I have no problem with flag, just curiosity has got me wondering if there was a reason/story behind it. Kudos to the crews everywhere for putting in their time and efforts for us all to enjoy the trains we all love a little fun is always deserving. I enjoy riding the trains just as much as taking their pics AND yes if the day ever comes financially, I will have one in my local area just so I can pass on the passion and preserve some railroad history.

Merry Christmas everyone!

bigbassloyd 12-21-2018 03:44 PM

Fun is against the law here. On an unrelated note, Anyone wanting to give TO24 a shot should have a much better chance now....

Loyd L.

Moffat Road 12-21-2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 195075)
Fun is against the law here. On an unrelated note, Anyone wanting to give TO24 a shot should have a much better chance now....

Loyd L.

So what are you saying, Loyd?

Are you a new RP screener?:-D

Mike D.

miningcamper1 12-21-2018 05:08 PM

Quote:

Anyone wanting to give TO24 a shot should have a much better chance now....

Really? Did someone quit or get disinvited?

RobJor 12-21-2018 08:31 PM

Quote:

Loyd L.

Great, I'll dig out some box car photos. Smile!!!!

Bob

bigbassloyd 12-21-2018 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moffat Road (Post 195076)
So what are you saying, Loyd?

Are you a new RP screener?:-D

Mike D.

Haha. I doubt I'd ever be asked.

Loyd L.

bigbassloyd 12-21-2018 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 195077)
Really? Did someone quit or get disinvited?

Someone has more pressing issues to attend to. I will not link any information here, but it's flowing through the railfan ranks on social media if one cares to dig a little.

Loyd L.

KevinM 12-21-2018 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbassloyd (Post 195080)
Someone has more pressing issues to attend to. I will not link any information here, but it's flowing through the railfan ranks on social media if one cares to dig a little.

Loyd L.

Hmmmm. Not being tuned in to "social media", I would have no earthly idea what you are talking about. Does this involve the "World's Greatest Railroad Photographer?" That's just a wild guess.

bigbassloyd 12-22-2018 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinM (Post 195081)
tDoes this involve the "World's Greatest Railroad Photographer?" That's just a wild guess.

Not so wild of a guess.

Loyd L.

Darryl Rule 12-22-2018 01:32 AM

You are correct sir!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinM (Post 195081)
Hmmmm. Not being tuned in to "social media", I would have no earthly idea what you are talking about. Does this involve the "World's Greatest Railroad Photographer?" That's just a wild guess.

Correct, he won't be submitting for a while. Although it is interesting, I think he had an idea of what was coming his way because he shut down all social media about a week ago, and if you look at his recent submissions here, the views have been WAY down without links.

KevinM 12-22-2018 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Rule (Post 195084)
Correct, and unless they get internetaccess where he is probably going to end up, he won't be submitting for a while. Although it is interesting, I think he had an idea of what was coming his way because he shut down all social media about a week ago, and if you look at his recent submissions here, the views have been WAY down without links.

Well, with that, I did a couple of quick Google searches and learned enough to understand the situation. Good grief.... :roll:

Decapod401 12-22-2018 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobJor (Post 195078)
Great, I'll dig out some box car photos. Smile!!!!

Bob

I resemble that remark! :lol:

Decapod401 12-22-2018 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinM (Post 195085)
Well, with that, I did a couple of quick Google searches and learned enough to understand the situation. Good grief.... :roll:

Even if he's cleared, he will never be able to maintain such a high profile again. There will always be trolls waiting for him to resurface.

miningcamper1 12-22-2018 12:36 PM

A very sad situation, even if, as one commenter put it, "nobody likes him".

I've actually been following several true crime stories from NH/VT. Years ago, I tended to think that this region was just short of Paradise on my three-day visits. Unfortunately, that's not really the case at all. :(

Darryl Rule 12-23-2018 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decapod401 (Post 195087)
Even if he's cleared, he will never be able to maintain such a high profile again. There will always be trolls waiting for him to resurface.

Exactly, even if his story is true, he'll never wipe this out of people's minds, and can't seeing a company wanting his name attached to their business. It's sad on so many levels, but you reap what you sow...

miningcamper1 12-23-2018 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darryl Rule (Post 195100)
It's sad on so many levels, but you reap what you sow...

This must be devastating for his rather large family. :(