RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Selective color? (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9096)

travsirocz 02-15-2009 04:23 PM

Selective color?

Looks like it to me.
[photoid=271871]

JRMDC 02-15-2009 04:46 PM

I'm just not in the mood right now for another Knapp post-processing thread, oh well. :)

JimThias 02-15-2009 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 82344)
I'm just not in the mood right now for another Knapp post-processing thread, oh well. :)

Come on now, let it all out! :lol:

jnohallman 02-15-2009 06:47 PM

Do any of his photos ever include EXIF info? Would extensive manipulation (like selective color) strip that out?

Jon

JimThias 02-15-2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnohallman (Post 82354)
Do any of his photos ever include EXIF info? Would extensive manipulation (like selective color) strip that out?

No and no. No amount of digital manipulation should have any effect on the EXIF data as long as you "save as."

f.18 02-15-2009 07:17 PM

Man, unless I have vision problems, I must say that photo is color manipulated.

Christopher Muller 02-15-2009 07:52 PM

I'm not sure, but it is a beautiful shot. If you study the background, those cars all appear to be dark colored cars and a white church. Everything is pretty much black and white or a shade of gray. One thing that has some color is the taillight on the pick up. You can see the red. Also the fire hydrant is red (though not as brilliant as the train, but the flash bulbs are not pointing at it) and also the Christmas Lights on the tree are colored well.

ssw9662 02-15-2009 08:07 PM

Definitely manipulation. If it weren't then the tree would be green, not gray.

I agree that I think the shot is great, but I would like to see the unedited color shot.

Dennis A. Livesey 02-15-2009 08:24 PM

A for effort.
U for ucky red-orange color.

Ween 02-15-2009 08:29 PM

Travis, no offense, but I don't think you have a leg to stand on when it comes to calling someone out on manipulation...:shock:

Andrew Blaszczyk (2) 02-15-2009 08:39 PM

Jim, may I? http://bestsmileys.com/eating1/16.gif

The photo in question is definitely manipulated with only the train and lights on the tree being left in color. There would be more contrast in the rest of the scene including the top and bottom of the church.

As for what else has been said, agreed.

Save The Wave 02-15-2009 10:19 PM

So is the snow fake too?

travsirocz 02-15-2009 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ween (Post 82362)
Travis, no offense, but I don't think you have a leg to stand on when it comes to calling someone out on manipulation...:shock:

I didn't call him out on manipulation. I called him out on selective color. That is beyond photo processing.

Ween 02-15-2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by travsirocz (Post 82367)
I didn't call him out on manipulation. I called him out on selective color. That is beyond photo processing.

And this isn't?!?!?!?:
[photoid=271011]

:lol:

travsirocz 02-15-2009 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ween (Post 82368)
And this isn't?!?!?!?:
[photoid=271011]

:lol:

I don't see how voiding color in parts of a photo and "trying" to get more dynamic range out of a photo is the same.

nikos1 02-15-2009 11:25 PM

And both are beautiful images, i dont really see the need to call out either person.

troy12n 02-15-2009 11:44 PM

I would be curious to know if this guy has ever had a rejection

stevenmwelch 02-16-2009 12:00 AM

Wow. I am amazed that this is still up. I'm even more amazed that it was accepted, almost makes me wonder if the screener had some Captain Morgan in his hands at the time. Wow. This is the reason why people get so frustrated with this site, the fact that crap like this gets into the database, yet, a shot that's at 20mm of a train on a bridge, looking up on the lit side gets hit for backlit. Geez.

I agree with what a previous person said, about if Knapp has ever had a rejection. Personally, I dislike flash bulbs because they are not crew friendly if the train is moving, and Knapp states it is. If I was the crew (even if he had permission from management), I'd still turn him in.

Back to the photo though. It's a disgrace to such a great site. Really is a poorly composed shot, and if it didn't get hit for Manipulation and possibly being banned for submitting such a thing, it should have been hit for foreground clutter/obstructing objects. Fire hydrant right in the middle of the front of the unit, VERY distracting. But, the color crap in it is even more distracting.

You know, makes me want to take my Shadows & Highlights tool, take the Darken Highlights, pull it to 100% and then submit the shot, hey, it should be accepted if this shot was.

This crap really pisses me off.

f.18 02-16-2009 12:13 AM

Well said Steven. http://bestsmileys.com/thumbs/2.gif

I agree 100% with you. I don't care who he is; if someone else submitted that, they would be rejected, banned, and have all of their stuff removed. Where has the real talent gone? It seems to be now how good you are with photoshop instead of photography, and capturing the moment. I mean really, we all edit our stuff from one time to another.... basic things like saturation, exposure.... but this is a shame. Really.

Watain 02-16-2009 12:18 AM

Like I commented on his photo, interesting use of the Lasso Tool in Photoshop:roll:. Note the Christmas lights on the tree they appear to be cloned in. The snow looks fake as well, 99.99% of his images look fake. I agree with Steven's post that its things like this that really frustrates some people including me.

f.18 02-16-2009 12:24 AM

I just noticed how cloned those lights look.... I zoomed into the lights, it looks like one of them is just floating there. +1 to have it taken down, if not banned.

F40PH271 02-16-2009 12:35 AM

I normally don't even bother looking at his photos anymore due mainly to what Steven said. I finally clicked this one after everyone said how fake it looks. And wow, that might be the worst one yet. I mean, it is just horrible.

stevenmwelch 02-16-2009 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f.18 (Post 82375)
I just noticed how cloned those lights look.... I zoomed into the lights, it looks like one of them is just floating there. +1 to have it taken down, if not banned.

Agreed!!! I'll vote too to have it pulled, or have him banned. I could as 3 people due to my size.

1+3=4 (I think)

JimThias 02-16-2009 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by f.18 (Post 82375)

To be fair, think about Christmas lights...they are on a "string"....and the string is usually the color of the tree or darker. So, it stands to reason that if you were to look at Christmas lights from a distance, some COULD appear to be floating.

I'm more concerned about who did such a crappy job with the Christmas lights on that tree. I mean, really...lights on the bottom, lights on the top, and a big gap in the middle? Christmas light hanging FAIL.

f.18 02-16-2009 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 82381)
To be fair, think about Christmas lights...they are on a "string"....and the string is usually the color of the tree or darker. So, it stands to reason that if you were to look at Christmas lights from a distance, some COULD appear to be floating.

Well, wouldn't the light from the street lights, headlight on the train, and the light on the bulb at least give some sort of light on the string?