RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Too Loose, Lautrec! (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17409)

miningcamper1 03-06-2015 10:26 PM

Too Loose, Lautrec!
 
1 Attachment(s)
"Composition (Too Loose): The image is too loosely composed, meaning that there is excessive dead/empty space between the subject and the edges of the photo."

I thought this was a slam-dunk to get in, but whoever screened it thought otherwise (maybe they thought my "batting average" was getting too high).

Thoughts?

SFO777 03-06-2015 11:02 PM

great photo! should be accepted. maybe sharpen it and warm it up a little and try again?

miningcamper1 03-07-2015 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SFO777 (Post 184084)
great photo! should be accepted. maybe sharpen it and warm it up a little and try again?

Thanks! I did warm just the power in the rejected photo to keep it red, but I've noticed some bad color rejections here for warm snow.

JimThias 03-07-2015 12:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17...lies/shrug.gif

Attachment 8900

MassArt Images 03-07-2015 12:37 AM

Ahh, getting into the mind of what the screener wants. That is a tough nut to crack :twisted:

RobJor 03-07-2015 12:58 AM

I don't get it at all, the color is tough but you are shooting in low light with film. the reeds of grass in the snow give it a little foregound. Maybe just not wanted, I don't know, but is neat historical photo??? Not sure how it could be much different?
I had one for composition, it was not too exciting of photo so only guess was just used catchall to reject?????
Bob

JRMDC 03-07-2015 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobJor (Post 184088)
I don't get it at all, the color is tough but you are shooting in low light with film. the reeds of grass in the snow give it a little foregound. Maybe just not wanted, I don't know, but is neat historical photo??? Not sure how it could be much different?
I had one for composition, it was not too exciting of photo so only guess was just used catchall to reject?????
Bob

Bob, it is as if you read neither the rejection reason nor the thread here. :(

"maybe just not wanted" ??? those typically get poor aesthetic quality, not a specific rejection reason that, as Jim showed, is at issue, and is not just a "catchall"

SFO777 03-07-2015 03:06 AM

I love the reeds in the foreground too, so great. Anyone else seeing the blue cast esp. noticeable around the trucks? Can that be corrected without adding any yellow to the snow?

RobJor 03-07-2015 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 184089)
Bob, it is as if you read neither the rejection reason nor the thread here. :(

"maybe just not wanted" ??? those typically get poor aesthetic quality, not a specific rejection reason that, as Jim showed, is at issue, and is not just a "catchall"

Sorry I gave the impression that I did not read it. I have had the poor quality rejection(I have had them all??), so I realize that. I read the too loose comment. I take this as too much foreground of nothing, too much dead space in foreground, maybe that is not correct??

Anyway, I and did not see it in the the photo at all, so I reached my conclusion which may be totally incorrect since I cannot be in the screener's mind but I think the forum is some speculation(Do this, Do that, maybe this works? so I just gave mine.) This is not knocking the screener's, they have a lot of photos to look at and can't spend 5 minutes on each one.

bob

xBNSFer 03-29-2015 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 184083)
"Composition (Too Loose): The image is too loosely composed, meaning that there is excessive dead/empty space between the subject and the edges of the photo."

I thought this was a slam-dunk to get in, but whoever screened it thought otherwise (maybe they thought my "batting average" was getting too high).

Thoughts?

If anything, I'd say the back of the train is too close to the edge of the frame. And for a website professing to want images meeting the Rule of Thirds, there's no way this should be rejected for "too much space" between the lead unit and the left frame edge. I bet if you open that up in Lightroom, you'll find the lead unit is pretty much right on your ROT line for the "left" third!

P.S. I think Jim's "top/left" crop seems to make it work better.

MDH 03-30-2015 03:55 AM

Though I'm fine with it "as is", for the purpose of uploading it here Jim T's suggested crop is exactly what I was going to recommend until I continued reading and saw he already had!

Michael

JimThias 03-30-2015 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 184085)
Thanks! I did warm just the power in the rejected photo to keep it red, but I've noticed some bad color rejections here for warm snow.

Sooooooo...did you do a quick and painless crop and resubmit?

miningcamper1 03-30-2015 10:33 PM

Submitting here is like going for a root canal...

No, actually an external hard drive has been acting up, so file rescue has been the priority. :-( ( A large un-backed images file vanished like it never existed- "check disk" is never good news on your monitor.)

SFO777 03-31-2015 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 184466)
Submitting here is like going for a root canal...

No, actually an external hard drive has been acting up, so file rescue has been the priority. :-( ( A large un-backed image file vanished like it never existed- "check disk" is evil! )

tell me about it. The worst is when you try to make adjustments only to get a final irrevocable poor image quality rejection. So annoying.

I've found that all the photos I get accepted I don't really expect to get accepted, whereas all the ones I expect to get accepted and really like tend to be rejected.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.