RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   A pre-rejection consult please (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9424)

A Siebold 03-25-2009 03:04 AM

A pre-rejection consult please

1 Attachment(s)
I thought I'd take you folks up on your suggestion I upload my photo here before submitting it to the screeners.

I've tried to process it similar to the suggestions I've found through the forum in relation to other photos.

Any suggestions? Comments?

Watain 03-25-2009 03:08 AM

In my eyes I am having a hard time trying to determine the subject in this image. It needs a different crop, but I would say submit it and see what it gets hit for.

Chase55671 03-25-2009 03:10 AM

I agree with Wayne as far as the cropping is concerned. I think if you had some light down there in the yard, and didn't have as many distractions, it'd be accepted.

I could be wrong.

Chase

A Siebold 03-25-2009 03:14 AM

But I only get one try each 24 hours... so when I submit this one I'd like to feel like I stand a chance.

Maybe I should have added that it is a shot from the east end of CSX's Selkirk Yard, Selkirk, NY.

My problem with cropping (which I've done many ways) is that I lose a sense of the 'whole' -- I can lose the yard tower on the right, or the train on the left. I'm not certain any of the trains by themselves are interesting.

That's my justification anyway.

cblaz 03-25-2009 03:14 AM

I would crop to the right edge of "Ben's Bridge" and take some off the bottom and top. However, if I was a betting man, I'm guessing it will probably get dinged for common/cloudy as the shot can be repeated on a sunny day.

- Chris

Chris Kilroy 03-25-2009 03:19 AM

To my naked eye, it appears to be leaning slightly to the left, but I haven't thrown it in Photoshop to confirm. Otherwise, I would accept without hesitation as is!

Chris Kilroy 03-25-2009 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Siebold (Post 86353)
But I only get one try each 24 hours... so when I submit this one I'd like to feel like I stand a chance.

After seeing this latest effort, I think it would only be fair to raise that limit a little bit. I think you'll find that your limit has been changed.

A Siebold 03-25-2009 03:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay... here is a recropping.
And I laid the PSE7 grid on the photo ... my eye sees level.
The sun issue I can't do much about. This was my third trip and the best light of the three!

A Siebold 03-25-2009 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy (Post 86358)
After seeing this latest effort, I think it would only be fair to raise that limit a little bit. I think you'll find that your limit has been changed.

Much appreciated!

Already I see one reason I had problems previously. I had my DSLR stolen a while back and have been depending on a Canon PowerShot SX110 IS. It takes good pictures, but not great pictures -- at least not for here. A new DSLR is in my relatively near future.

JRMDC 03-25-2009 03:38 AM

The shot is OK, either one. One thing to consider for next time. You have everything lined up at about the same distance, several hundred yards away, all across the frame. Try waiting for the train to come out and get some foreground presence and so more of a front/back dynamic.

The image quality looks sub par to me, but if Chris says OK, then it's ok! Don't forget to come back and give us a link, of the form
[photoid=xxxxxx] where the x's are the number assigned to the accepted shot.

A Siebold 03-25-2009 03:50 AM

Good point about the 'depth'. The petroleum train on the far left had just arrived for a crew change, the center single unit hadn't moved at anytime I was in the area, but the one on the right was beginning it's way out of the yard. Another couple of minutes would have made the difference.

A Siebold 03-25-2009 04:42 AM

Okay... rejected again. 'not enough color depth or too much color saturation' -- I'll have to investigate PSE7 again to see what I can do about that - if anything. Any ideas? It doesn't have sunlight on the yard, so I'll need to 'create' a sunny day digitally? If nothing else I'm going to know my PSE7 a lot better!

Thanks for the comments! I'll be back.

JimThias 03-25-2009 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy (Post 86357)
Otherwise, I would accept without hesitation as is!

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Siebold (Post 86387)
Okay... rejected again. 'not enough color depth or too much color saturation' --

I submit to you, Exhibit A: http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=9414

:lol:

Chris Kilroy 03-25-2009 04:10 PM

It's likely just perception due to the different crop, but the second (rejected) effort does indeed seem to have more color problems than the first, at least to me. The second (cropped) image is also blurry, which is what I would have nailed it for.

A Siebold 03-25-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy (Post 86442)
It's likely just perception due to the different crop, but the second (rejected) effort does indeed seem to have more color problems than the first, at least to me. The second (cropped) image is also blurry, which is what I would have nailed it for.

I don't understand why the second image would be blurrier, but I supposed it might be the result of improper or over processing. I'm planning on going back to my original (a COPY of my original) and begin over again with the processing -- a little slower. If I change my work-flow and consider my end-product a little better, I might do better in the long run. I'm beginning to look at all my pictures, not just rail, with new eyes.

Thanks! I'll be back when I have a break.

JRMDC 03-25-2009 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Siebold (Post 86486)
I don't understand why the second image would be blurrier

it would be blurrier because since the crop is tighter you are using fewer pixels from the original to end up with final version at the 1024x size. Less information going in => poorer quality coming out.