RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Well I thought it was different enough... (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17165)

wds 06-29-2014 09:53 PM

Well I thought it was different enough...

A wedgie versus a side shot, but I suppose they are of the same train at the same time of day in the same location!:razz:

Accepted shot: [photoid=487490]

Rejected shot: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...12&key=2518334

MassArt Images 06-30-2014 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wds (Post 180076)
A wedgie versus a side shot, but I suppose they are of the same train at the same time of day in the same location!:razz:

Accepted shot: [photoid=487490]

Rejected shot: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...12&key=2518334

You must have had the same screener that I had today

Accepted: [photoid=487427]

Rejected: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...31&key=1222723

wds 06-30-2014 12:52 AM

Maybe they're remembering shots by other photogs in the dim and distant past, that's where I'm leaning... But that doesn't make much sense either, since I'm the only one who shoots in this area.
Maybe they were thinking about these two, which were not only similar to each other but to today's shots albeit with different power and lighting, hell I dunno:

[photoid=484675]

[photoid=484889]

troy12n 06-30-2014 01:33 AM

There was a couple virtually identical shots accepted yesterday. Not saying yours is any better or worse than theirs... but just pointing this out

bnsf7562 06-30-2014 03:17 AM

You can't get more 'identical' than these three shots.

[photoid=481709]

[photoid=481600]

[photoid=481539]

Mgoldman 06-30-2014 04:28 AM

It's a well known fact that nobody wants to the see the same or similar image twice, let alone from the same photographer. Just look at the view counts, for instance, on these two pics:

[photoid=485462]

[photoid=412670]

I forgot to check the comments or favorites, but I'll bet it's safe to assume the second of Mike's similar to previous image likely got no more then a handful of either, if even. Admin is simply trying to avoid making any further mistakes of a similar nature.

/Mitch

BobE 06-30-2014 04:35 AM

In the case of both, wds and massart, the rejected photo is far more interesting than the ones that were accepted.

Moffat Road 06-30-2014 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldman (Post 180084)
It's a well known fact that nobody wants to the see the same or similar image twice, let alone from the same photographer. Just look at the view counts, for instance, on these two pics:

[photoid=485462]

[photoid=412670]

I forgot to check the comments or favorites, but I'll bet it's safe to assume the second of Mike's similar to previous image likely got no more then a handful of either, if even. Admin is simply trying to avoid making any further mistakes of a similar nature.

/Mitch

I realize both of my images are similar, but they were photographed and submitted almost two years (20 months) apart. We have all rephotographed a scene (perhaps a favorite) to try to get a better quality photo. I’d like to think that the second one is in better light and on a clearer day.

I’ve seen submissions accepted on the same day from the exact location, same wedge angle, with only the locomotives being different. Are my two images really on the same par?

Besides, when you think about it, everything has been photographed before…

Sorry Mitch, if you think “Admin is simply trying to avoid making any further mistakes of a similar nature.” I’d like to think my two image examples are “years apart,” maybe even an improvement and not a “mistake.”

Mike Danneman

P.S. I went out yesterday afternoon to Rocky and Little 10 Curve, since the weather was great and air really clear… now I’m afraid to post any of the photos because I’ve shot there before. ;)

Moffat Road 06-30-2014 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moffat Road (Post 180086)
I realize both of my images are similar, but they were photographed and submitted almost two years (20 months) apart. We have all rephotographed a scene (perhaps a favorite) to try to get a better quality photo. I’d like to think that the second one is in better light and on a clearer day.

I’ve seen submissions accepted on the same day from the exact location, same wedge angle, with only the locomotives being different. Are my two images really on the same par?

Sorry Mitch, if you think “Admin is simply trying to avoid making any further mistakes of a similar nature.” I’d like to think my two image examples are “years apart,” maybe even an improvement and not a “mistake.”

Mike Danneman

P.S. I went out yesterday afternoon to Rocky and Little 10 Curve, since the weather was great and air really clear… now I’m afraid to post any of the photos because I’ve shot there before. ;)

So, Mitch, now that I have posted this, were you serving facetious with a side order of hornswoggle? :-D

miningcamper1 06-30-2014 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobE (Post 180085)
In the case of both, wds and massart, the rejected photo is far more interesting than the ones that were accepted.

Agree! Although I would like to see more of the first car in the CN rejected shot.

Mgoldman 06-30-2014 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moffat Road (Post 180087)
So, Mitch, now that I have posted this, were you serving facetious with a side order of hornswoggle? :-D

But of course, Mike!

Let me put it this way - I think if admin was in charge of the patent office, we'd all have to suffice with not only one kind of candy bar, but, as an even better analogy, we would only have one kind of chocolate. Dark? White? Surely you jest...

/Mitch

Mgoldman 06-30-2014 06:52 AM

Quote:

I’ve seen submissions accepted on the same day from the exact location, same wedge angle, with only the locomotives being different.

I've seen submissions accepted on the same day from the exact location, same wedge angle, with the SAME locomotives.

This is aggravating to patrons who are not given that option - especially when their images are no where near as similar. Barring some kind of crazy (and undesirable) photo recognition technology, this will forever be a point of contention between this site and it's patrons. And it's a well known practice to simply resubmit at a later date - so it gets in anyway.

Regardless - I say, bring it on! Sometimes the slightest nuance can make all the difference in the world - and in favor of either variation to different people. Some folks like warm photos, some like it cool. Some like rods down, some do not care. Taking an image from 2 feet above the ground vs standing vs using a ladder, while all similar, can make all the difference to another photographer as can shooting wide and cropping vs shooting telephoto without cropping - neither one is "better" but one may have a completely different appeal to a certain audience. Heck, I've gone back and re-shot a scene only to capture different cloud formations or steam engine plumes. Bring it on. Is it "BEST railroad photos on the net" or "Our favorite railroad photos (or first posted) photos on the net"?

/Mitch

MassArt Images 06-30-2014 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldman (Post 180090)

And it's a well known practice to simply resubmit at a later date - so it gets in anyway.

/Mitch

Dang, I wish I knew that! If they don't get accepted here, they must be crap, so I delete from existence.:o:lol:

@Moffat Road - Hornswoggle's not to bad if you can wash it down with a Trout Slayer.:wink:

Joe the Photog 06-30-2014 12:22 PM

Carl;

Remember that Similar to Previous doesn't always mean Similar to YOUR Previous

[photoid=487492]

wds 06-30-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miningcamper1 (Post 180088)
Agree! Although I would like to see more of the first car in the CN rejected shot.

Me too, but due to the wide-angle limitations of the 24-105 lens that was on the camera, that's all I got! It wasn't a case of having a kit full of gear with me and selecting the most appropriate lens for the location - it was a case of "the damn thing's blowing at the crossing a half mile away, grabbing a camera off the hall table and trying to beat it to the beaver pond"! :lol:

JimThias 06-30-2014 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldman (Post 180090)
Regardless - I say, bring it on! Sometimes the slightest nuance can make all the difference in the world - and in favor of either variation to different people. Some folks like warm photos, some like it cool.

So true, Mitch, so true. And you certainly know which image I'm partial to:

[photoid=372062]
[photoid=364248]

It's baffling to me how you didn't get any awards for that, yet Pete got a #1 PCA.

Quote:

Some like rods down, some do not care. Taking an image from 2 feet above the ground vs standing vs using a ladder, while all similar, can make all the difference to another photographer as can shooting wide and cropping vs shooting telephoto without cropping - neither one is "better" but one may have a completely different appeal to a certain audience. Heck, I've gone back and re-shot a scene only to capture different cloud formations or steam engine plumes. Bring it on. Is it "BEST railroad photos on the net" or "Our favorite railroad photos (or first posted) photos on the net"?
Well stated. I'm curious to what Chris and Chris would respond with on this matter.

Greg P 06-30-2014 04:20 PM

Quote:

Mike Danneman

I will disagree. I enjoy seeing locations photographed in different seasons. I would love to see that view after a substantial snowfall.

bigbassloyd 06-30-2014 04:47 PM

I don't see what the issue is. We see tons of very similiar, nondescript wedgies on here every day. :D

Loyd L.

MassArt Images 06-30-2014 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe the Photog (Post 180092)
Carl;

Remember that Similar to Previous doesn't always mean Similar to YOUR Previous

[photoid=487492]

Joe, my photo was submitted before that one was added to the database. That was what had me befuddled.

Joe the Photog 06-30-2014 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassArt Images (Post 180110)
Joe, my photo was submitted before that one was added to the database. That was what had me befuddled.

I didn't notice that. Carry on then!

wds 07-01-2014 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe the Photog (Post 180115)
I didn't notice that. Carry on then!

I didn't catch that either! Wow!! Things just get curious-er and curious-er down this rabbit hole! :confused::lol:

Ron Flanary 07-01-2014 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moffat Road (Post 180087)

You can upload all you want from that spot, Mike. Works for me....every time...every day....every train. :)

troy12n 07-03-2014 04:15 PM

I think if it was me, I would have not submitted these 2 shots on the same day

[photoid=487868]
[photoid=487867]

Again... 2 sets of rules :roll:

Mgoldman 07-03-2014 09:39 PM

Thursday July 3rd SPECIAL on RP!!!

For every photo submitted and accepted, you may upload a second similar shot with a free pass!

Example:

[photoid=487984]

[photoid=487982]

Act now! We can not guarantee when this offer will be available again!

/Admin

(PS - Endorsed by Mitch (and likely Ron)).

wds 07-03-2014 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldman (Post 180172)
Thursday July 3rd SPECIAL on RP!!!

For every photo submitted and accepted, you may upload a second similar shot with a free pass!

Example:

[photoid=487984]

[photoid=487982]

Act now! We can not guarantee when this offer will be available again!

/Admin

(PS - Endorsed by Mitch (and likely Ron)).

Similar - damn near identical!! Although for some reason the thumbs aren't showing properly. Regardless, that's what brought me back to this thread, I saw them in today's lineup and felt, well, extremely disappointed and cheated - to say the least!:-x