RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   The best thing to happen to RP in a long time in one word... (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15400)

JimThias 05-15-2012 12:29 PM

The best thing to happen to RP in a long time in one word...

"Danneman"

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17...milies/bow.gif

Hatchetman 05-15-2012 12:58 PM

Are they brothers or father and son? I had just "discovered" his flickr stream a month or so ago.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3983627...th/7198350062/

Coloradorailfan 05-15-2012 01:04 PM

Well who ever the both are, I love their work. Hands down. On Facebook, on Trains Magazine that they mentioned Editor Tom Danneman or something so I am guessing that's who one of them is.

Mark T 05-15-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coloradorailfan (Post 155668)
Well who ever the both are, I love their work. Hands down.

So its not just me then?

Freericks 05-15-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 155664)

Well said... great stuff.

John Craft 05-15-2012 02:41 PM

Lee Ho Fook, this is nice:

[photoid=397826]

If Tom or Mike start shooting NS Heritage units, RP will melt down ;)

bigbassloyd 05-15-2012 02:48 PM

The cure for the common wedge!

Loyd L.

Joe the Photog 05-15-2012 03:44 PM

Agreed. Plus, Mike's shot of the UP (Rio Grande heritage) train on the front page is easily one of the finest shots ever to grace this site!

[photoid=397811]

Hatchetman 05-15-2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe the Photog (Post 155675)
Agreed. Plus, Mike's shot of the UP (Rio Grande heritage) train on the front page is easily one of the finest shots ever to grace this site!

[photoid=397811]

I see grain in the sky. It should have been rejected.:lol:

crazytiger 05-15-2012 06:04 PM

To my knowledge, they are brothers...

Mgoldman 05-15-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 155664)

Definitely welcome additions to the photographer's list of contributors.

At the very same time, does anyone else find it odd that of the combined 56 photos between the two, only 9% (5) caught the eye of a screener via an SC? Or if you include the single POTW, only 6 photos (11%) were noted by the screeners of RP? Keep in mind, this material is not day to day stuff, but the best from their collection spanning over a decade.

Fortunately, I suspect by the end of this week, and especially next - the percent of PC badged photos will be significantly higher.

In the mean time, I'd suggest using the comment field rather then forums to express your admiration to each photographer.

/Mitch

MagnumForce 05-15-2012 09:05 PM

Mike and Tom are one of the main reasons I got into the photography side of the hobby back in the 90's. See there were these things called books and they are and were awesome and people bought them and looked at all the pretty pictures.

WMHeilman 05-15-2012 09:34 PM

All hail the Dannemans. They were killing Flickr long before they started annihilating this site though... :lol:

sd9 05-16-2012 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mgoldman (Post 155678)

At the very same time, does anyone else find it odd that of the combined 56 photos between the two, only 9% (5) caught the eye of a screener via an SC? Or if you include the single POTW, only 6 photos (11%) were noted by the screeners of RP? Keep in mind, this material is not day to day stuff, but the best from their collection spanning over a decade.

/Mitch

I don't find it odd at all, for one, they don't have the flashing banners like the ones announcing the latest heritage units, I commented before that there's a lot of great work (photos) being overshadowed by all that hype, (like the one below)
[photoid=395977]
When I saw the one last week of the BNSF Train silhouetted against a sunset, I clicked on the name to see what he else he had... I was amazed! a lot work and talent on that one and only page. I just scratch my head though when I see that it only got a little over 2000 views, at least it got a PC!

MagnumForce 05-16-2012 01:14 AM

Lemmings could care less about photography, they like pictures of choo choos.

I have had people complain about shots because they couldn't see the numberboards in a picture.

Mgoldman 05-16-2012 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd9 (Post 155684)
I don't find it odd at all, for one, they don't have the flashing banners like the ones announcing the latest heritage units, I commented before that there's a lot of great work (photos) being overshadowed by all that hype...

Flashing banners do not yield SC's, but then again I am a big fan of the revised placement of the SC's. Less coverage which is in my opinion is as it should be for one single person's favoriting.

Now - if we could only see better use of the Editors Choice or something similar which would be more wisely used and more abundantly applied highlighting those more unique subjects, compositions and degree of success on tricky exposures. For now, the POTW's are pretty much covering that roll, albeit, 52 images per year. And of course, the PC's. Should be near sweeps week for the Danneman's.

/Mitch

stlgevo51 05-16-2012 01:50 AM

When I first discovered the Danneman brothers' work on Flickr a few months back, I knew immediately what RP was missing. It seems like some of the "outstanding" photographers that were once dedicated RP members have left over the years, diminishing some of the incredible photographs seen on a daily basis (i.e. John Ryan, Nick Benson, David Langdon, Scott McClarinon, Micheal Allen, to name a few). Heck, we almost lost Ron Flanary a few months back! With the Dannemans, RP should do everything to keep them. They improve the sights interest and reputation. With their contributions, the daily photostream gets 50X more interesting.

The only two problems I can see with the Dannemans are:

1. I can barely resist commenting/favoriting every shot.
2. There aren't enough People's Choice Award slots each week!

As an aside, he only has three shots, but Tyler Eaton is making quite an impression as well:
[photoid=397854]

JimThias 05-16-2012 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlgevo51 (Post 155688)
As an aside, he only has three shots, but Tyler Eaton is making quite an impression as well:
[photoid=397854]

Thanks for posting that, Jake. By the way, what is this glitch with RP that doesn't allow you to vote for a PCA when you click on a linked shot? I can click on the "Nominate for People's Choice" link, but then I get this message, "You must be a registered RailPictures.Net member to nominate photos for the People's Choice Awards," even though it shows that I'm logged in at the top of the photo page. :confused:

sd9 05-16-2012 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimThias (Post 155689)
Thanks for posting that, Jake. By the way, what is this glitch with RP that doesn't allow you to vote for a PCA when you click on a linked shot? I can click on the "Nominate for People's Choice" link, but then I get this message, "You must be a registered RailPictures.Net member to nominate photos for the People's Choice Awards," even though it shows that I'm logged in at the top of the photo page. :confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted by troy12n (Post 154259)
Getting this error (I am logged in...)

You must be a registered RailPictures.Net member to nominate photos for the People's Choice Awards.

To sign up for your free account, Click Here (link opens in new window).

Close Window

Jim,
This was posted a month ago by Troy (in the site related forum) along with several other Threads about various glitches, it went unanswered along with the others

Mr. Pick 05-16-2012 02:14 AM

I was not familiar with the Dannemans until they started posting here. It's funny how you can just instantly recognize greatness when you see it. Their work stands out.

JimThias 05-16-2012 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd9 (Post 155692)
Jim,
This was posted a month ago by Troy (in the site related forum) along with several other Threads about various glitches, it went unanswered along with the others

I actually inquired about it a couple of years ago in that forum and it went unanswered as well. Occasionally I like to randomly throw it out there in case Starnes or Kilroy read the thread. :-D

(however, I don't believe Troy mentioned HOW he was arriving at that error message)

Mgoldman 05-16-2012 06:07 AM

Percentage just went up - now at 12.5%.

[photoid=397827]

/Mitch :)

jnohallman 05-16-2012 06:41 PM

I've got to join the chorus in praising the work the Dannemans have been displaying here on the site lately. I just saw this recent example, and my first reaction was "wow." Is it as spectacular as some of the other shots? No - but the thought and creativity that went into making the shot sure impress me.

[photoid=398014]

Jon

JimThias 05-16-2012 09:45 PM

Gotta love polarizers! Awesome shot.

IHapsias 05-16-2012 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnohallman (Post 155724)
I've got to join the chorus in praising the work the Dannemans have been displaying here on the site lately. I just saw this recent example, and my first reaction was "wow." Is it as spectacular as some of the other shots? No - but the thought and creativity that went into making the shot sure impress me.

[photoid=398014]

Jon

Easily one of the most creative shots to grace the website. When I first saw this on Flickr my mind was blown.

I'll also amend the Dammeman's; their work is, well, too good!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3983627...57629371379868

^ Just simply awesome