RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   U.S. Regional and Short Line Railroad Discussion (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Farewell to the Winchester & Western (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18264)

ShortlinesUSA 07-26-2019 05:54 PM

Farewell to the Winchester & Western
 
This long-time fan favorite in Virginia is the latest to fall under a holding company. I'm sure it won't take long for the older GP9/10s to disappear, and likely replaced with leasers and/or other surplus power from other OmniTrax lines.

It was a good run...

https://www.progressiverailroading.c...ailroad--58182

bigbassloyd 07-26-2019 06:01 PM

I've heard they were up for sale a while back. The leaser infiltration already began in earnest with them test driving / returning / and finally settling on some junk from GATX.

Loyd L.

Grewup on the CW 07-29-2019 03:45 PM

I never have been lucky enough to catch them rolling while in their areas and it seems those days are numbered for sure now. Sad news to see another Shortline dissapear........

ShortlinesUSA 08-07-2019 02:47 AM

Indeed, Loyd. When I heard Unimin had been bought out, the first thing to cross my mind was "Well, there goes the railroad."

Grewup on the CW 05-28-2020 06:00 PM

I have not ventured out towards Winchester since this post. Can anyone offer any updates? Do they still have their W&W lettered loco's/rolling stock?

ShortlinesUSA 06-03-2020 12:54 AM

They still have the trio of WW-painted GP38s. The GP9/10s are all out of service now to the best of my knowledge. All but the 498 had their stacks capped when I was through there a few months ago, and I believe it has since been taken out of service, as well.

Otherwise, it's all GMTX blue and white. Still plenty of WW covered hoppers around.

Grewup on the CW 06-04-2020 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA (Post 196663)
They still have the trio of WW-painted GP38s. The GP9/10s are all out of service now to the best of my knowledge. All but the 498 had their stacks capped when I was through there a few months ago, and I believe it has since been taken out of service, as well.

Otherwise, it's all GMTX blue and white. Still plenty of WW covered hoppers around.

Thank you Mike for the update. Sad to see another Shortline lose it's identity.
I'm thankful for what few things that have been preserved of the CW. Shame NS will not put anything back on the rails with the CW logos even though they benefit greatly from the volume of traffic its rails bring in.

ShortlinesUSA 06-08-2020 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grewup on the CW (Post 196690)
Thank you Mike for the update. Sad to see another Shortline lose it's identity.
I'm thankful for what few things that have been preserved of the CW. Shame NS will not put anything back on the rails with the CW logos even though they benefit greatly from the volume of traffic its rails bring in.

I honestly have thought several times that NS may consider "reshortlining" that one in a PSR world. It already operates like a shortline. I believe the crews' paychecks are even from the CW (or were).

NS has historically tended to hang onto local operations longer than other Class 1s. Maybe that will change; maybe it won't. But every time I watch them run the old Chattanooga Traction here in town, it operates so much like a shortline it's amazing. Has its own little yard office, assigned power, crew reports there (not brought over by PTI from DeButts Yard or originate there), and works daylight hours M-F only.

As you can imagine, this is one of the most senior jobs in town, as well...

Grewup on the CW 06-09-2020 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA (Post 196696)
I honestly have thought several times that NS may consider "reshortlining" that one in a PSR world. It already operates like a shortline. I believe the crews' paychecks are even from the CW (or were).

NS has historically tended to hang onto local operations longer than other Class 1s. Maybe that will change; maybe it won't. But every time I watch them run the old Chattanooga Traction here in town, it operates so much like a shortline it's amazing. Has its own little yard office, assigned power, crew reports there (not brought over by PTI from DeButts Yard or originate there), and works daylight hours M-F only.

As you can imagine, this is one of the most senior jobs in town, as well...

Unfortunately the CW train operations are currently controlled by train master at the Shenandoah yard and the current TM at the helm is full bore PSR. The decades long normal CW operations of Sunday to Friday, daylight hours went out the window the minute he took over. New operations are now 7 days a week and variable hours. No empties sitting anywhere even if it means running 20 miles for 1 empty car. Power was decreased from 4 to 2 loco's on hand and the yard hardly ever has anything in it. The "mom and pop" business/treatment atmosphere went by the way side as well. The crews are still friendly but "its just a job" now.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.