RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rejected - How Much Is Enough ? (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11593)

DaveJ 01-19-2010 03:27 PM

Rejected - How Much Is Enough ?
 
Just wondering out of idle curiosity about the highest number of re-submissions that anyone has had with any one photograph ? If I remember correctly the most times I resubmitted any picture before acceptance was four.
Now,I don't know if that's a lot of times or not (and they were all for the dreaded "bad cropping") but it's sure more than I'm prepared to submit these days,as I just can't seem to find the time unfortunately.
Anyone managed to get to double figures with rejections before success ?

John Fladung 01-19-2010 04:17 PM

I hope these weren't uploaded without adjustments between uploads otherwise you are asking for your upload limit to be cut down greatly.

I've uploaded a photo three times with corrections between uploads. Not even close to 10+ uploads. If it takes that many uploads it probably isn't worth uploading anymore and stands a good chance of either being a photo for ones personal collection or trash can.

DaveJ 01-19-2010 05:15 PM

I don't understand why anyone would re-submit a rejected shot without trying to correct the rejection reason - is it to try and get one over on the screeners.
I always take note of the rejection reason,curse the screeners like mad,take a few hours out to collect my thoughts and then set to work to correct the image (if I decide to send it in again).

Dennis A. Livesey 01-19-2010 05:16 PM

Three maybe four submissions (with noted corrections of course) is about as high I ever went with an accepted image.

About a year into RP for me, if it was rejected once or twice I'd shelve it. At the time I was still unsure.

Now I know what it takes to get on and don't submit ones RP won't like.

Currently I have one in the queue that is on it's third try. First was wrong size, next I goofed and submitted the right size but unsharpened.

I have every expectation it will get in now.

Joe the Photog 01-19-2010 05:54 PM

I typically will go with the three strikes and you're out philosophy. There's been a few times that RP was taking the picture in a direction I didn't want to go, so I took it out of the game instad of having what I thought was a subpar shot in the database. One exception was tis picture -

[photoid=182364]

I felt strongly about it then and I still do. Also, it was my first and only FEC shot, it was of a GP40-2, not one of their EMD wide noses, and I just plain liked it. It kept getting various rejects for common/cloudy, bad contrast, etc. But I kept pushing. I asked advice in the forums, switched from color to B&W, then back to color and if I remember right, was told by a screener that it was workable. I must have gotten ten rejects before it made it on.

As I recall, it was almost a Top of 24 that day and since it still gets a fair amount of hits. Until recently, I don't recall seeing a shot of the FEC in the database from this side of the bridge.

california_railfan 01-20-2010 02:52 AM

The most I have gone with an image is about 4 times. I will usually shelf the photo if it doesn't work after one or two submissions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe the Photog (Post 108162)
I typically will go with the three strikes and you're out philosophy. There's been a few times that RP was taking the picture in a direction I didn't want to go, so I took it out of the game instad of having what I thought was a subpar shot in the database. One exception was tis picture -

[photoid=182364]

I felt strongly about it then and I still do. Also, it was my first and only FEC shot, it was of a GP40-2, not one of their EMD wide noses, and I just plain liked it. It kept getting various rejects for common/cloudy, bad contrast, etc. But I kept pushing. I asked advice in the forums, switched from color to B&W, then back to color and if I remember right, was told by a screener that it was workable. I must have gotten ten rejects before it made it on.

As I recall, it was almost a Top of 24 that day and since it still gets a fair amount of hits. Until recently, I don't recall seeing a shot of the FEC in the database from this side of the bridge.

Joe, I couldn't help but notice that this image seems to be in need of some counter clockwise rotation. :twisted: Sorry, I couldn't resist. Nice shot!

ottergoose 01-20-2010 03:20 AM

This is one of my favorite shots, and it took quite a few (5 or 6 maybe?) bad cropping dings (and some feedback here on the forums, I think) before it got accepted:
[photoid=290011]

Normally I would have given up, but, it's a unique angle in a very well covered town, and the light happened to really interesting.

Freericks 01-20-2010 03:26 AM

I would say usually about three... maybe four if I feel very strongly (and really believe that I'm making fixes that are gong to make the picture work). There have been a couple images in the past that may have gone over that to five... yes, but those were cases were the last thing was a horizon unlevel that was so obviously fixable.

If there is a pass in the mix that cannot be fixed (like back lit or PEQ) I don't keep trying.

Mind you, I might make one appeal on a PEQ, but that's a different animal. I won't waste screeners' time trying to fix things that can't be fixed.

milwman 01-20-2010 04:44 AM

I go for just 2 and then time out for a week to see if I still like the shot and want to work on it then

Dennis A. Livesey 01-20-2010 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey (Post 108156)
Three maybe four submissions (with noted corrections of course) is about as high I ever went with an accepted image.

About a year into RP for me, if it was rejected once or twice I'd shelve it. At the time I was still unsure.

Now I know what it takes to get on and don't submit ones RP won't like.

Currently I have one in the queue that is on it's third try. First was wrong size, next I goofed and submitted the right size but unsharpened.

I have every expectation it will get in now.

Hmmm.

Now on 5th submission, 5th in line. The screener's have gone to bed. I have to wait till morning.
Problems were mine. Shoulda been more careful.:o

Chase55671 01-20-2010 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey (Post 108195)
Hmmm.

Now on 5th submission, 5th in line. The screener's have gone to bed. I have to wait till morning.
Problems were mine. Shoulda been more careful.:o

Don't count 'em out yet! Someone seems to screen up until 2-3am sometimes. :)

Chase

Chase55671 01-20-2010 05:18 AM

See what I told ya! :lol:

[photoid=311345]

Nice shot!

Chase

Dennis A. Livesey 01-20-2010 05:56 AM

Your are quick...

Now go to bed!

:smile:

WembYard 01-20-2010 11:20 PM

Most goes that I have ever had was not one of mine :o

[photoid=239238]

John likes the photo a lot for it's historical content and so do I, the 30 odd year old slide is rather grainy and I lost count of how many attempts it took to get on, but would guess less than 10.

As a general rule I don't tend to try more than twice or three times at a push, though for some rejections (like PEQ) I don't bother again.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.