RailPictures.Net Forums

RailPictures.Net Forums (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/index.php)
-   Railroad Photography Forum (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Croppy Croppy (http://www.railpictures.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16205)

e-unit 03-08-2013 10:39 PM

Croppy Croppy
 
First it was under sharpened.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...97&key=8786779

Then bad crop.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...07&key=4775076

Am I showing too much of the consist? Also, is the shot too dark?

Moffat Road 03-08-2013 10:59 PM

I’m thinking that the crop is too horizontal for the standards which are:

“Optimal size for uploaded images is 1024-1200 pixels wide at between a 3:2 and 16:10 aspect ratio.”

The ratio on your image is a bit closer to 2:1 (1200:676)

Hope that helps.

Mike Danneman

e-unit 03-08-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moffat Road (Post 164569)
I’m thinking that the crop is too horizontal for the standards which are:

“Optimal size for uploaded images is 1024-1200 pixels wide at between a 3:2 and 16:10 aspect ratio.”

The ratio on your image is a bit closer to 2:1 (1200:676)

Hope that helps.

Mike Danneman


It was cropped to be 16:9. This is the ratio of modern computer monitors, televisions, and some media minded smart phones. 16:10 could work... Any opinion the consist? too much?

JimThias 03-08-2013 11:26 PM

You need more space on top. It feels too centered and the image too short.

KevinM 03-09-2013 12:21 AM

Not only needs more on top, but you've come so close to showing all of the train, why not do that? There is also something close on the right side that is cut off. Going wider on the right (if you can) might make that less of an issue as well.

Just my thoughts.

BTW, that picture is super sharp. Wish I could get mine looking that nice! What lens are you shooting and what software do you use? :-)

e-unit 03-09-2013 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevinM (Post 164573)
Not only needs more on top, but you've come so close to showing all of the train, why not do that? There is also something close on the right side that is cut off. Going wider on the right (if you can) might make that less of an issue as well.

Just my thoughts.

BTW, that picture is super sharp. Wish I could get mine looking that nice! What lens are you shooting and what software do you use? :-)

I JUST got a D3200 with the kit lens and basic 55-300. As far as editing I just use Picasa, but I have a photoshop elements trail I need to use.

e-unit 03-09-2013 05:28 AM

The reason for not showing whole train was it was a monster and went around a curve at the end of the shot. Its one of those new oil trains that go from the east coast all the way to the Dakotas. I heard someone say they were even running em with DPU's To the right is concrete buffers to protect signal boxes.

KevinM 03-09-2013 01:12 PM

I like it better, but I think RP will want to see more space above the locomotive than below it.....in other words, I don't believe they will want it centered vertically like it is.

JimThias 03-09-2013 04:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by e-unit (Post 164575)
Here is a recrop as a 4:3. I think it would look better if the snow hadn't melted off the grade crossing.

What Kevin said...too much space at the bottom. Crop it at 3:2 by taking some off the bottom and lowering the train, thus making the top wider.

Attachment 7919

e-unit 03-09-2013 05:16 PM

That did the trick Thanks Jim and Kevin. I'm beginning to see what they are wanting. I need to stick to traditional ratios versus the more modern ones. Those 16:9s make excellent wallpapers though
;)http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=427844


I'll try to put through one if my new IHB shots.

Edit: That was easy

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=427854

Im getting the hang of this.

JRMDC 03-09-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e-unit (Post 164579)
That did the trick Thanks Jim and Kevin. I'm beginning to see what they are wanting. I need to stick to traditional ratios versus the more modern ones. Those 16:9s make excellent wallpapers though

Just a final comment. In my view, at least, don't think about formats, 16:9, 3:2, whatever. Just shoot what makes the scene come out how you like it. 16:9 is "modern" only in the sense that there is some technology that uses it. It has no intrinsic value, and neither does traditional.

Ex-post, you will have to deal with the question of what format one particular site, RP, likes. But don't let it affect your shooting.

e-unit 03-11-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRMDC (Post 164580)
Just a final comment. In my view, at least, don't think about formats, 16:9, 3:2, whatever. Just shoot what makes the scene come out how you like it. 16:9 is "modern" only in the sense that there is some technology that uses it. It has no intrinsic value, and neither does traditional.

Ex-post, you will have to deal with the question of what format one particular site, RP, likes. But don't let it affect your shooting.

I'm still pretty new to photography. The 16:9 works well on some of my rural shots, but I notice now how it is usually inappropriate for a tight urban setting.

I tried two more (my daily limit) yesterday and one got in.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/427932

I also tried a timed exposure and received a PEQ. No loss there. I need to start poking around for a 40 or 50mm prime with good f/stop before I get serious with those.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.