View Single Post
Old 01-30-2010, 02:09 AM   #46
Joe the Photog

I'm pretty sure Amtrak does own the Columbia station since it was built for them in the 80s. There are times when maybe it would not be unwise to test a policy or a law. I suppose each person must do that on their own. Getting a shot of an Amtrak train at this location when Amtrak personelle are on scene, to me, would not be one of those times. As you cn see, the sight lines are not that great as both Amtrak trains use CSX track between midnight and 4 a.m. (usually.)

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Of course, a coal train is another matter....

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Or a wood chip train

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

The last two shots were obviouly taken on Amtrak property and both before the new photography policy. Both shots were taken when no one was on duty. I see folks down there a bit scoping out the scene and there are shots on Flickr that I've found from people who probably don't know and don't care what Amtrak's policy is. Unless they have added it recently, there's no signs about no photography there and no signs about unathorized access. I guess I was technnically wrong to be there, but raise your hand if you've never done anything like this, either by design or by just not thinking it through.

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 01-30-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote