View Single Post
Old 04-18-2014, 02:07 PM   #10
KevinM

I've been toying with the idea of starting what I call a "Pivotal Rejections" thread here on the forums. I continually read threads from folks who have either stopped posting here, or who keep threatening to stop posting, indicating that they are honked off at the site, probably over one rejection or another. My proposed thread would be a place for each of the PO'd OPs to show us the images. If they've been posting for years and now consider themselves fit to be tied with RP, then let's see 'em. Let's see those gems that never made it here, and left them so miffed that they would rather display their material in places where it is much harder to find.

In my case, when I look in the bit-bucket, I can't honestly find anything that I would be comfortable posting in such a thread and say with a straight face: "Damn it, this DESERVES to be here." Yes, I've had some shots bounced that have left me with a bad taste in my mouth, but in the case of images that I really cared about, they have pretty much all been accepted on appeal.

All of us need a place in addition to RP to post our work. RP is a privately owned site and the owners are entitled to decide what their product will look like. If they want to advertise that product as "The best railroad photos on the net", they pay the bills and they have the right. This site is not and never has been a place to post EVERYTHING. I think everyone should have a Flickr Account, or a Smugmug Site, or Zenfolio, or or or....whatever. In my mind, no one venue is the end-all, be-all for railroad photography or any other kind of photography.

If you love what you do, use ALL available avenues to show the world your stuff!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote