View Single Post
Old 01-09-2003, 09:57 PM   #25
benrussellpa

Default Introduce Yourself to the Forum!

Next....

Hi all.

Ben Russell, age 26. I'm a biologist for the Pennsylvania Dept. of Environmental Protection.

My first train memories come from when I lived in South Philly. I had a very distant view of the Conrail (ex Pennsy) Delaware extension. It always used to have coal/ore trains parked on it awaiting entry into Greenwich Yard. Later, the family moved to "suburbia" and I really got into trains growing up next to MP 8.0 on the CSX (Chessie/B&O) Philadelphia Sub. Now, I live, essentially, across the Schuylkill River from NS's (ex-Conrail) Abrams Yard on the Harrisburg Line. It's a 7 minuted drive for me to stop and see what's going on at the yard.

I've never been a master photographer, I just like to take pictures of trains. Unfortunately, I am camera-less ever since my 35mm point and shoot Fuji broke. It wasn't spectacular as far as cameras go, but I got some good prints and slides over the years with it. I've been hesitant to dive into the digital revolution so far. I've had my eye on the Fuji S602 Zoom, but I think I will wait for the next generation based off that model.

The digitals I have up here now have been taken with a borrowed (from work) Olympus C-2000Z.

Lately, I've been devoting a large chunk of time formerly used for train watching to volunteer firefighting. You get to learn a lot of good stuff and the feelings of being able to do something to help others cannot be beat.
benrussellpa is offline   Reply With Quote