View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 01:43 PM   #3
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWest View Post
Union Pacific itself operates 844. Not sure what they're doing for PTC, but I expect they'll figure out something without any issues.
Right. UP is the only Class 1 that operates a fleet (just one at the moment) of historic steam locomotives. They run special trains and charters from time to time. They are still promising to have a Big Boy in operation for the 150th anniversary of the transcontinental railroad next year. I suspect that PTC requirements won't be an issue for them. Unlike museums and historic preservation groups, they have the resources and will spend what it takes to comply.

Not sure what will happen with 611. Unlike 844, 611 is not owned by a Class 1 and is dependent on host railroads.....and those seem to be getting fewer and fewer. I think the best hope there is perhaps some of the routes that the Class 1s like Amtrak are abandoning. Of course, someone will need to maintain those routes and the 611 Team has never had to worry about those issues.

Unfortunately, that's one of the realities with big steam locomotives in this age. Unless the owner of the locomotive also owns a railroad, there's never any guarantee of a future for it.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote