Thread: Top shot
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2020, 02:06 AM   #124
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Everyone is not playing by the same rules though - unless you believe, what, only 3 photographers were heavily linking images. There are dozens of others that link and campaign though reaching the "Top of the Last 24 Hours" for the less prolific often takes a good 10 hours or so, vs 3 or 4 hours for the banned abusers - one of which still has free reign but is limited to "only" one pic - not quite fair to the others which are banned from TofL24 altogether. And you still have the Darwins, derails, salvage operations.
I disagree with your assessment of the current situation. It looks to me like the linked views have been divorced from the "organic" views for TO24 purposes for everyone. The free reign photographer's view counts are down from where they've been, and I suspect that admin also imposed the one submission/person in TO24 at any given time. As far as the derailments and such, if the organic viewers find an accepted shot compelling enough to click on it more than something that you or I like better, who are we to dispute it? You're trying to impose subjective views on what should be allowed, and that is not a level playing field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Interesting observation - didn't think about that, but in all likely-hood, at least you'd come up at 3AM vs not coming up at all. If you don't "come up" until 3 am, its likely the person or persons that are preventing you from appearing would be the same ones preventing you from appearing at all in the first place. So instead of a shot appearing for 6 hours, it would appear for 1 hour before being replaced by another, and another and 3 others, an hour later at a time. So 5 other photographers get to hit the front page instead of the original poster for all 6. And you no longer run into the frustrating situation where you find your post accepted at the same time as someone who links, or posts Darwin's, derailments and salvage shots (or nostalgia ).

/Mitch
So you want to give out participation awards? If a shot is compelling enough to organically go to the top in a few hours, for whatever reason, it deserves to be there for the rest of the 24 hour period.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.

Last edited by Decapod401; 06-18-2020 at 02:09 AM.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote