Thread: "Going Away"
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2017, 12:35 PM   #2
KevinM

Hi Adam,

I'll certainly defer to the opinions of others here, as I don't shoot diesels, and the rules that apply to steam seem to be somewhat looser....

I don't see it as a bad photo. If it has issues, these are the ones I see:
  1. Train is a bit low in the frame for "Rule-of-Thirds." I've seen plenty of similar compositions that worked fine, so I don't see this as a killer.
  2. Nose of the train is perhaps too close to the left side of the frame. It helps to have a little more margin in my view.
  3. The train "merges" with the home just above it. A "merge" happens when two major elements, particularly the subject, appear to "touch." The best photos avoid merges.
  4. It appears to be a cloudy day, common power shot, which is sometimes the kiss of death, but often not. In this case, I think that the presence of fall foliage is mitigating. Often, cloudy day foliage shots can be as good as sunny day shots of the same subject.

Perhaps it was a combination of negatives, none of which were killers, which in the end, left the screener not liking it. He had to hit a button and he hit the "Going Away" button.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is online now   Reply With Quote