View Single Post
Old 10-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #12
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy View Post
As to how a new tunnel which basically only enhances an already existing route creates "thousands more jobs afterward," I'd love to hear someone explain that.
Perhaps the missing word there is potential, but think of it in these terms. By "enhancing" the existing route, the plan would essentially double the number of commuters who could be moved from NJ into NYC within the same amount of time. In theory, that also doubles the potential number of laborers available to employers in NYC from that region, which would enable greater business growth than otherwise. Now, admittedly, there are other ways for those potential employees to get into NYC, though perhaps less efficiently. You also have to consider that a lack of convenient transportation is likely to slow growth in the region generally, as people who might otherwise move into the area to pursue opportunities choose not to because of the transportation challenges.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote