View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 06:41 PM   #10
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Mathews View Post
Rain was pretty bad at times for my shoot. They actually let me switch to Sunday because Monday looked even worse and I really needed to get home to my pregnant wife. Despite the overcast, I feel it works better than pure blue skies. The blue skies tend not to mix well with 611 and causes funky reflections. Either way, I made some lemonade with lemons. This was one of my better efforts.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/712304
Hi Sean,

I'm curious as to where you shot that. I was there Sunday too, and they didn't doublehead until late in the afternoon, virtually all of which was that uphill stretch from the Cherry Hill crossing through Cherry Crest Farm.

I think several people shot pans, which allowed them to keep the ISO reasonable. I think I started out at 2000 ISO and was probably at 5000 for the last run-by.

Obviously, Saturday was the better weather day, and I think I took 1,500 frames. But Sunday was OK. Early in the day when things were brighter, we got some decent stuff. I wish they could have given us a bit more dark smoke, as white smoke and milky gray skies aren't the best combination. Unfortunately, they have to limit the number of run-bys that feature the burning of Rome, because they fill the firebox up and strangle their fire.

I have a pretty good rain cover for my camera, but it sort of limits me to a 24-70mm f/2.8 lens or 70-200mm f/2.8, which do not telescope when they zoom. Both also have a great, big lens hood on them which grips the front of the rain cover nicely. The only problem is that it is hard to change lenses with that thing installed, so I typically go with the 24-70 and have limited reach. I find that shooting a 70-200 in the rain is not optimal, because I end up shooting through a deep curtain of water.

All in all, I think Pete Lerro did an awesome job dealing with all of the constraints we faced this weekend, including the heavy schedule of regular trains on Saturday. He got us as many shots as humanly possible with the resources and weather that we had. Folks who attended the night session also showed me some really nice stuff, so it was apparently also a success. Unfortunately, Pete looked wicked tired when I left him Sunday night....and he still had one more day to go. I hope he finally got some sleep last night. I think most folks don't appreciate the amount of work that goes into putting these deals on. Pete and his crew....Mitch, Andy, Chris and some others....all do a great job setting these things up, coordinating with the railroad, keeping everyone happy and keeping us all safe at the same time. Just converting 475 into 382....and back, is a PITA chore that they have to do while we're all asleep. I love 475 as 382. Wish they could leave her that way!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 10-08-2019 at 06:44 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote