View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 10:46 PM   #2
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNavyDoc View Post
Been having getting sharp images in the past month from my Nikon D300 and 17-55 f/2.8.

I have had no problem getting great images from this lens, in fact I think almost all of my shots on RP are with this lens, but I was out a week ago trying to get a few shots with the leaves changing, and ALL of the images were extremely unsharp.

This weekend my wife and I stopped at the Curve for a brief time on our way to a family event, as my wife had never been there before.

Anyway, almost all of my shots from there are significantly blurry, especially along the left edge of the frame. This was both with a Tokina 10-17 f/2.8, and the Nikon 17-55.

17-55:

Focus point here was the center of the frame, basically over the NS logo on the lead unit.

1/400 f/6.3 ISO 1000 Zoom at 19mm

Now, I do have the autofocus de-coupled from the shutter button for shooting sports, but I don't think that should be an issue.

Any thoughts? I should probably clean the contacts on both the body and the lens just to make sure.

My concern is that the AF module in either the camera or lens is going bad. I probably have close to 75k actuations, if not more since I've had this camera.

Thanks!
This is kind of hard photo to judge, I'd start out with straight on shot with auto focus, where you get the beep, something with detail you can judge from side to side. Maybe do a camera reset to get rid of some setting you might have on. Starting close in and moving to infinity. I think sometimes people use a brick wall? The example you chose to use has lots of variables at least for me to judge. I see the left side problem but I think it would be hard to judge based on that????? I would take the extreme DOF differences out of the scene, ie what is the focus point?? Like testing anything, remove as many variables as possible.

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 11-02-2015 at 10:49 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote