View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 12:25 AM   #7
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBrian Harmon View Post
Now that Chris mentioned it, I'm curious, what kind of equipment do you use if you don't mind me asking? Because a lot of your shots seem to be suffer from that issue. On a nice sunny day like in your shot, you should be able to stick with ISO 100 and produce decent shots.
If you mean the softness or underexposure, yes, I think these have been issues for him before....although this effort looks a lot less underexposed than previous submissions. If I recall correctly, I think he's using some type of point-and-shoot camera and he doesn't have full control over the settings.

Certainly, there are a number of things to check. Shutter speed would be at the top of the list. Autofocus would be another. I had a Nikon DSLR which experienced AF problems a few years back. My recommendation to Spacetrain remains unchanged. I would look around for a used DSLR. Older models can be had pretty cheaply and would give him the control he needs to get better. I'd also recommend shooting ISO 200 vs. 100. The difference is virtually indistinguishable from a quality standpoint, but it would give him a stop worth of options with regard to shutter and aperture. In bright sun at ISO 200, I'd be at 1/640th and f/8, or even 1/800th and f/8 if it were really bright. Shutter speeds like that should stop a train very nicely unless it's right on top of you.....in which case, you're too close!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote